The Student Room Group

Daughter rejected for not attending interview she didn't know she had!!

Just looking for some advice please.

My daughter applied to Queen Mary London early December. This evening she has received a message via Track to say that she has been unsuccessful. Reading the letter its says she has been unsuccessful because she did not attend interview. She has not received any notification either via Track or from the QM direct offering her an interview!!! It's for English by the way. She I devastated as this was one of her preferred choices.

She has emailed admissions this evening but obviously will probably not get a response until next week. Does anyone know if this is the end of the road for QM now that they have officially declined her via UCAS or could she still get an interview?

Hope someone can help.
Reply 1
usually interview invites come via email. and they usually ask you to confirm attendance too. thats odd. it might be but dont give up, make sure you keep pestering. if they genuinely sent it but you didnt see it though they have a point although i imagine you and your daughter will feel very hard done by. good luck and i hope she gets the offer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cem101
usually interview invites come via email. and they usually ask you to confirm attendance too. thats odd. it might be but dont give up, make sure you keep pestering. if they genuinely sent it but you didnt see it though they have a point although i imagine you and your daughter will feel very hard done by. good luck and i hope she gets the offer :smile:

Thanks we will keep pestering! She has checked all her folders, spam/junk/deleted etc and there is definitely nothing there from them. Will have to wait and see I suppose.
They can change the status on track, they should offer her a new interview date so keep pestering if they don't. Wait and see what they say but contact UCAS if they don't reconsider her. Hope it works out.
Reply 4
Unfortunately, it's possible that it ended up in her junk email. all of my emails from Durham went straight to junk... my school's head of higher ed told us all explicitly to skim over our junk (especially if you use hotmail) because sometimes university departments stuff ends up there. I'm not sure what she can do beyond hope that they are willing to give her another chance - obviously this will be easier if you can show that she couldn't have been expected to read the email. If she just missed it on another email or something then who knows what they'd do. Hopefully they understand! after all they were willling to bother to arrange an interview in the first place, so they must have liked her chances to some degree
Reply 5
I had the same problem earlier this year,but for a different course and university. Unfortunately, UCAS cannot do anything about it but you must contact the university as soon as possible. As it is a Friday evening, you cannot call the university now but I strongly suggestthat you send an email to the university now and call them on Monday. That is what I did - the admissions tutors sympathised with me and rescheduled the interview for another date.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply! She has checked all the folders including junk and there is nothing. QM have replied to a couple of queries initially regarding her Scottish qualifications and they arrived in her inbox with no problems. It is just so frustrating!!
Reply 7
Emails from Queen Mary Admissions all went into my spam folder. Luckily I was using gmail, so at least they got in. With hotmail, some emails considered spam are outright filtered and don't even reach the junk folder.

This won't change anything now, but it's always best to put as safe sender the whole univervisty domain (i.e. @qmul.ac.uk), just to be on the safe side.
Reply 8
Well Laura managed to finally get in touch with the right person and they were incredibly helpful. It has ended up with her not having to actually attend an interview due to our location (near Inverness) but she has been sent a written passage that she has to do a critical essay on. She is so relieved and grateful that they have given her second chance. Should she get an offer she will still have to go and have a look around but we can do that at a later date.

He did say she was not the only one to have had problem with Hotmail but we seem to have got things sorted on that front now.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice it was much appreciated!!
Original post by LILYLAURA
Well Laura managed to finally get in touch with the right person and they were incredibly helpful...

That's really good news! Good luck to her
Reply 10
Original post by LILYLAURA
Well Laura managed to finally get in touch with the right person and they were incredibly helpful. It has ended up with her not having to actually attend an interview due to our location (near Inverness) but she has been sent a written passage that she has to do a critical essay on. She is so relieved and grateful that they have given her second chance. Should she get an offer she will still have to go and have a look around but we can do that at a later date.

He did say she was not the only one to have had problem with Hotmail but we seem to have got things sorted on that front now.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice it was much appreciated!!

Well that's a relief. At least now she'll get a decision based on merit, very best wishes and good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Just to let everyone who very kindly responded to our plight!! Laura received a conditional offer for English Literature this afternoon!!!!

She has to get 200 UCAS Points including an A in Advanced Higher English and at least a D in Advanced Higher Modern Studies.

She is so pleased and now has to decide where to go!!
Congratulations to Laura :smile: - and to QM, nice to hear that a university can be helpful and put things right.
Reply 13
Only just read this but wanted to say well done to her and good luck with the results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending