The Student Room Group

Masters clearing?

Hi guys,

I have received few conditional offers and some rejections.
Unfortunately the universities I wanted to go rejected me.
Just like undergraduate degree, is there a possibility of getting an offer by calling the university (assuming there are places available).
If yes, masters start around Sept, so around August?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Avene
Hi guys,

Just like undergraduate degree, is there a possibility of getting an offer by calling the university (assuming there are places available).

Thanks!

Whilst there's no Clearing system like in UCAS, there is always the possibility of getting on to Master's in the summer. Sometimes they'll be re-advertised, or you could always just call them. However, if a uni has already rejected you for a specific course, then they probably won't want to take you anyway - they would have probably put you on a waiting list or similar if that was an option. I would focus on looking at other unis and other courses
Reply 2
Original post by Avene
Hi guys,

Thanks!

You need to send in proper applications to other unis. Many will still be months ahead of their application deadlines. You're not going to get a place just by phoning up.
Reply 3
OP are you asking if there is a chance that unis which have rejected you will give you a place at the last minute? If so then the answer is almost certainly not. No harm in asking, but I wouldn't make any plans and, as the poster above said, I'd keep applying if you want to go this year.
Reply 4
I agree with Pariah. The unis have rejected you based on your current or projected results, the quality of your references and/or the quality of your application. Unless you anticipate that any of these factors will significantly improve, then there's no point re-applying. They aren't looking to fill a quota of students on a course because there are no caps on Masters numbers as there are on undergrad degrees. Clearing works for undergrad because unis have an unused student quota. At postgrad level they just want the people most likely to stump up the fees and preferably complete the Masters successfully, so reapplying later in the year will give you no advantage.

However you could contact the unis which rejected you and ask for their reasons. They may not be willing to tell you but there's no harm asking. You could also ask whether you could do anything to improve your application with a view to them considering you again at a later date. Maybe if you had some related work experience, or if you end up with a better undergrad degree mark than you've been projected etc. At worst, if you ask then you know for sure and can move on, rather than wondering "What if..." for years.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think many specifically ask you not to reapply to the same programme for the same starting semester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending