The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Calling all University of Manchester English Literature students!

I'm almost set on going to Manchester next year..but feel like I'm missing some discussion with current students on my course.

It would really help me if some current Eng. Lit. students at manchester could give me their opinions of the course and whether they're enjoying it! :smile:
Original post by MaddyPanda
I'm almost set on going to Manchester next year..but feel like I'm missing some discussion with current students on my course.

It would really help me if some current Eng. Lit. students at manchester could give me their opinions of the course and whether they're enjoying it! :smile:

I'm not an English Literature student, so I can't help you on that front, but if you've got any questions about the uni as a whole then let me know :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm not an English Literature student, so I can't help you on that front, but if you've got any questions about the uni as a whole then let me know :smile:

ooh ok, that's good too :smile: Well I read some negative reviews in which a few people said students don't get that much attention from their personal tutors and the uni is very disorganised...I'm worried about getting lost! Would you agree that manchester is confusing for students (getting around, knowing what theyre doing with their subject, etc) or is it ok?

I'm British but have lived in portugal since I was 11 so really havent experienced how things work in the UK and am a bit worried about not getting support with money matters and finding my way around..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MaddyPanda
ooh ok, that's good too :smile: Well I read some negative reviews in which a few people said students don't get that much attention from their personal tutors and the uni is very disorganised...I'm worried about getting lost! Would you agree that manchester is confusing for students (getting around, knowing what theyre doing with their subject, etc) or is it ok?

I'm British but have lived in portugal since I was 11 so really havent experienced how things work in the UK and am a bit worried about not getting support with money matters and finding my way around..

I've never had a problem with personal attention, but I'm in an entirely different department. You have to seek out your tutors if you want help - they're not going to come and find you - but that's the norm at all unis. They're there if you want help, but don't force themselves upon you.

Manchester seems big at first, but once you get used it it just feels normal. You get given a timetable at the beginning of every semester that tells you where you have to be and when. From there, it's just a case of finding the right buildings, but for the first week or so they have older students with 'ask me' signs, badges and jumpers all over campus, who are there to help. Once you've actually turned up to your lectures and tutorials, your teaching staff will tell you what you need to do - required reading and assessments.

You'll almost certainly (unless your family can prove that residence in Portugal is temporary) be classed as an EU student. This is because student finance is based on residence, not nationality. So, you'll have to make sure that your parents understand that it is their responsibility to fund you, because you won't be eligible for any living cost support from either the government or the university, just a tuition fee loan.

If it helps, I've made a Map, but don't forget that most other students are also arriving in Manchester (or even the UK) for the first time, so you're not the only one who doesn't know Manchester.
Reply 4
I know I'll be classed as an EU student, but as long as I can get the tuition loan I'll be alright :smile: Thanks for clearing up any problems...I'm really looking forward to going there, and it's nice to know most other students will be in the same boat as me
Reply 5
I'll be doing english lit and theatre studies :smile:
Hi there :smile: I study English Lit at Manchester
Reply 7
Original post by rainbowdust
Hi there :smile: I study English Lit at Manchester

Hey! Whats the course like? Ive firmed Manchester but Ive read some stuff about how the English course can be badly taught...is this true? could you give me the lowdown on the lectures, tutorials and homework/coursework?
Reply 8
Yeah do you know anything about what it's like for people doing english lit as a joint course? Cheers
Original post by ReanneC96
Yeah do you know anything about what it's like for people doing english lit as a joint course? Cheers

Hi. yeah, i do Joint honours, English lit & linguistics.
Reply 10
Ohhh i see!! Would you be able just to tell me abit how you find everything ect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending