The Student Room Group

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations :K:

Hey:biggrin: you might have come across some inspirational quotes from your holy book which you'd like to share or you might not be religious at all/atheist but may have a quote you like which is about hope, love, spirituality etc. If so feel free to post here This is open to everyone whether your religious or not. It would be awesome if you could not post quotes which some might find 'offensive' as we're all nice and respectful on here :rolleyes: lol :cool:

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling :colone: lol

"Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness" :moon:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not from a holy book, but

'Man connot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.' Andre Gide

Original post by CasualSoul
Post your favourite scriptures or quotations :K:

"Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness" :moon:

Love this.
Reply 2
I have a lot, being a film and TV student I have a great interest in screenwriting etc. A lot of quotables from Charlie Kaufman (a world renowned screenwriter) particularly the dialogue in his films such as this:

"I will be dying and so will you, and so will everyone here. That's what I want to explore. We're all hurtling towards death, yet here we are for the moment, alive. Each of us knowing we're going to die, each of us secretly believing we won't"

"I know how to do it now. There are nearly thirteen million people in the world. None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due."

But my absolute favourite quote is from the Korean film Oldboy, it is "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Something I wrote in literally 20 seconds off the top of my head actually impressed me, I wanted some poetry in my new short film im making about a struggling alchoholic, I used to write poetry daily for years so that might explain the quick thought process but let me know what you think...

"Skeletons in my closet, and they've got bones to pick, to the bone im sick, merely a vessel for hopelessness"

Id love for you ALL to let me know what you think of it? it is subject to change, as I said, I literally thought of it in less than a minute...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by blu95
I have a lot, being a film and TV student I have a great interest in screenwriting etc. A lot of quotables from Charlie Kaufman (a world renowned screenwriter) particularly the dialogue in his films such as this:

"I will be dying and so will you, and so will everyone here. That's what I want to explore. We're all hurtling towards death, yet here we are for the moment, alive. Each of us knowing we're going to die, each of us secretly believing we won't"

"I know how to do it now. There are nearly thirteen million people in the world. None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due."

But my absolute favourite quote is from the Korean film Oldboy, it is "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Something I wrote in literally 20 seconds off the top of my head actually impressed me, I wanted some poetry in my new short film im making about a struggling alchoholic, I used to write poetry daily for years so that might explain the quick thought process but let me know what you think...

"Skeletons in my closet, and they've got bones to pick, to the bone im sick, merely a vessel for hopelessness"

Id love for you ALL to let me know what you think of it? it is subject to change, as I said, I literally thought of it in less than a minute...

I love the first quote- that isso true!

wow that is pretty awesome. I like the ambiguity e.g. u don't know what theskeletons in the closet is referring to and why they have 'bones to pick'. I also love the mental imagery thats created with your words. I feel it is quite deep aswell/ their seems to be a lot of emotion attatched to the words :thumbsup: it is such a short poem though - you should try and continue it !
Reply 4
Original post by CasualSoul
I love the first quote- that isso true!

wow that is pretty awesome. I like the ambiguity e.g. u don't know what theskeletons in the closet is referring to and why they have 'bones to pick'. I also love the mental imagery thats created with your words. I feel it is quite deep aswell/ their seems to be a lot of emotion attatched to the words :thumbsup: it is such a short poem though - you should try and continue it !

Wow thank you so much, when you analyse it like that it makes me see it from a perspective I did not even consider, thank you, I definitely feel confident with it now lol And I will certainly think about it!
Reply 5
Original post by blu95
Wow thank you so much, when you analyse it like that it makes me see it from a perspective I did not even consider, thank you, I definitely feel confident with it now lol And I will certainly think about it!

LOOL its funny how easily you came up with something which is pretty well written but did not realise all the things behind it :giggle: no prob and great:biggrin:
I saw God before me for all time.
Nothing can shake me; he’s right by my side.
I’m glad from the inside out, ecstatic;
I’ve pitched my tent in the land of hope…
You’ve got my feet on the life-path,
with your face shining sun-joy all around. Acts 2:25-28

Whenever I feel uncertain about something or the way something in my life is going I remind myself that with God in my life I have pitched my tent in the land of hope… :smile:
'why are you so surprised, these things and more shall you also do'
Can I add lyrics from an old favourite hymn?

I only learnt recently the story behind the words of this classic.

It was written after traumatic events in Horatio Spafford’s life. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship carrying his wife and daughters sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived sending him a telegram saying, "Saved alone …". he wrote these words as his ship taking him to his wife passed near where his daughters had drowned. How he could find hope in this situation is beyond human comprehension, but he did.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPPSG_SpojY (for the musical version):smile:
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "While a man was walking on his way he became extremely thirsty. He found a well, he went down into it to drink water. Upon leaving it, he saw a dog which was panting out of thirst. His tongue was lolling out and he was eating moist earth from extreme thirst. The man thought to himself: 'This dog is extremely thirsty as I was.' So he descended into the well, filled up his leather sock with water, and holding it in his teeth, climbed up and quenched the thirst of the dog. Allah appreciated his action and forgave his sins". The Companions asked: "Shall we be rewarded for showing kindness to the animals also?" He (ﷺ) said, "A reward is given in connection with every living creature".

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

In the narration of Al-Bukhari, the Prophet (ﷺ) is reported to have said: "Allah forgave him in appreciation of this act and admitted him to Jannah".

Another narration says: "Once a dog was going round the well and was about to die out of thirst. A prostitute of Banu Israel happened to see it. So she took off her leather sock and lowered it into the well. She drew out some water and gave the dog to drink. She was forgiven on account of her action".
“Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.” Bukhari

http://www.quranexplorer.com/Hadith/English/Hadith/bukhari/009.084.057.html
(edited 10 years ago)
My favourite's gotta be from The Book of Mormon: 'I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure.'

Coincidentally one of my favourite songs last year, Milegend Cyrus's 'We Can't Stop', has a very similar line: 'It's my mouth I can say what I want to.'
“Actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness, wrong as they tend to produce the reverse of happiness.”
"Everything not saved will be lost."

- Wii notification screen
The book of Ecclesiastes has many gems. The first chapter of Ecclesiastes has a great opening which I love:

2“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.

7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.

9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."
Proverbs 31:10-31
The Wife of Noble Character

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Probably ranks as one of the first female entrepreneurs, move over Kelly Hoppen:wink:, this is the woman I hope to be :smile:
I love this; whenever I'm feeling hopeless or bullied or whatever I think about this verse :smile:

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

This is also Great: Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

And my very favourite:

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Reply 19
Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners, when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge you will be able to cross over the ocean of miseries." 4:36

As a blazing fire turns firewood to ashes, O Arjuna, so does the fire of knowledge burn to ashes all reactions to material activities." 4:37

The humble sages, by virtue of true knowledge, see with equal vision a learned and gentle brāhman, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater [outcaste]." 5:18

An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery, which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī, such pleasures have a beginning and an end, and so the wise man does not delight in them." 5:22

For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will remain the greatest enemy." 6:6

"When the yogī, by practice of yoga, disciplines his mental activities and becomes situated in transcendence devoid of all material desires he is said to be well established in yoga." 6:18

"I am in everyone's heart as the Supersoul. As soon as one desires to worship some demigod, I make his faith steady so that he can devote himself to that particular deity." 7:21

"From the delusion of the pairs of opposites cause by desire and aversion, O Bharata, all being are subject to delusion at birth, O destroyer of foes" 7:27

"Yet there is another unmanifest nature, which is eternal and is transcendental to this manifested and unmanifested matter. It is supreme and is never annihilated. When all in this world is annihilated, that part remains as it is." 8:20

"He to whom pain and pleasure are alike, swells in the Self, to whom a clod of Earth and stone and gold are alike, to whom the dear and undear are alike, who is a man of wisdom, to whom censure and praise are same" 14:24

"The same in honour and disgrace, the same towards friends and enemies, abandoning all undertakings - he is said to have crossed beyond the three gunas" 14:25

All from the Gita.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest