The Student Room Group

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations

Scroll to see replies

I have never seen something so epic yet so dumb (c) Karma
Original post by nimrodstower
What makes a Christian a Christian?

A christian is someone who has accepted Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour and has a personal relationship with Him. One who tries to follow Jesus' example and who lets others see Jesus in them. We are not perfect or holy but the Bible encourages us to strive for holiness just as God himself is holy :smile:
Original post by Alice_95
"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him."
Proverbs 30:5

I love this one :smile:
Acts 2:25-28

25 David said it all: I saw God before me for all time. Nothing can shake me; he's right by my side. 26 I'm glad from the inside out, ecstatic; I've pitched my tent in the land of hope. 27 I know you'll never dump me in Hades; I'll never even smell the stench of death. 28 You've got my feet on the life-path, with your face shining sun-joy all around.
1 Corinthians 15 v 4
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve

Acts 2:24
But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him

Acts 26:22
But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen

These verses encourage me in my Christian walk
Original post by Joannywhite
A christian is someone who has accepted Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour and has a personal relationship with Him. One who tries to follow Jesus' example and who lets others see Jesus in them. We are not perfect or holy but the Bible encourages us to strive for holiness just as God himself is holy :smile:

I would agree with that definition, so I ask again, despite what Paul wrote, why are most Christian churches against homosexual sex, gay marriages, when they would be accepted as Christians by God through belief in Jesus Christ, despite being gay. It is up to God to judge people, not the various churches.
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
I have so many amazing quotes, which one to choose! I would have to go with;

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton. This literally says a thousand words and I think it's one of the best quotes ever said.

Interestingly, this quote might be Newton having a dig at another scientist. The story is the a scientist called Hooke (best known for Hook's law - which is to do with elastic strings) had a rivalry with Newton and was accusing him of stealing his ideas. Most people in the scientific community thought the argument was getting out of hand and made them apologise to each other. Hooke wrote a letter of apology and Newton replied with this quote. It seems like Newton's saying he's only made his important discoveries by building on the ideas of other great men, including Hooke. But Hooke was notoriously very short and and physically weedy - certainly not a giant. So Newton's quote could be saying that the significant discoveries he's made were done by building on the work of great scientists of the past, and not on Hooke's ideas, who Newton didn't consider a giant, i.e not a great scientist.
(edited 10 years ago)
My favorite quotation could well be this:

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees come creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."
Nikola tesla
“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is ****-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked
moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.” Terence Mckenna
I would agree with that definition, so I ask again, despite what Paul wrote, why are most Christian churches against homosexual sex, gay marriages, when they would be accepted as Christians by God through belief in Jesus Christ, despite being gay. It is up to God to judge people, not the various churches.

True. God should be the judge but it doesn't just end at believing in Christ does it? What happened to trying to lead a Christ-like life?

Matthew 7:16-18
By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

If Christ was against homosexuality, why would you get involved if you're trying to follow his footsteps?
True. God should be the judge but it doesn't just end at believing in Christ does it? What happened to trying to lead a Christ-like life?

Matthew 7:16-18
By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

If Christ was against homosexuality, why would you get involved if you're trying to follow his footsteps?

The piece in bold is completely wrong. My point is about Jesus, what the scripture says is irrelevant, it was all written after Jesus died, if any of it is true I would be amazed. I think that the Jesus represented by the Gospels would be a much nicer person than the followers of the religion that bears his name.

I am an ex Christian, I finally realised religion is wrong, I was never a real believer in God, but I worshiped Jesus, especially in my childhood, and do try to live by his 'teachings', but I cannot abide this homosexual hating dogma of Christianity, Christians should be better than that, and turn the other cheek, as it were.
(edited 10 years ago)
The piece in bold is completely wrong. My point is about Jesus, what the scripture says is irrelevant, it was all written after Jesus died, if any of it is true I would be amazed. I think that the Jesus represented by the Gospels would be a much nicer person than the followers of the religion that bears his name.

I am an ex Christian, I finally realised religion is wrong, I was never a real believer in God, but I worshiped Jesus, especially in my childhood, and do try to live by his 'teachings', but I cannot abide this homosexual hating dogma of Christianity, Christians should be better than that, and turn the other cheek, as it were.

Well according to that passage, those words were uttered by Jesus himself during one of his teachings. But if what the scriptures say are irrelevant, how then will you know what Jesus' "teachings" were if you want to follow them?
"The earth hath bubbles"
Well according to that passage, those words were uttered by Jesus himself during one of his teachings. But if what the scriptures say are irrelevant, how then will you know what Jesus' "teachings" were if you want to follow them?

I don't know and neither does anyone else, but what has been written of him, shows a man of justice and tolerance. Christians should follow their personal Christ, and shelve these horrid denominations.
Original post by EatAndRevise
"The earth hath bubbles"

I thought that was Michael Jackson.
I thought that was Michael Jackson.

When making my post I did not realise that the quotations had to be from a holy book, but no it is from Macbeth :smile:
Original post by EatAndRevise
When making my post I did not realise that the quotations had to be from a holy book, but no it is from Macbeth :smile:

don't think it has to be some scriptural thing, I was going to quote from John Donne's, No man is an island, 'any Man's death diminishes me', but I am going off it now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 197
"Alea iacta est" - Julius Caesar
The die has been cast

I have just found this, it is a post by Navarre.

For me, there is only one Truth, and it isn't religion. For me, Truth is Jesus Christ, His message and His salvation. Jesus didn't come to just become another religious figure, or to establish another religion. Jesus came to make right the damage religion has done to humanity. Jesus Christ has influenced people through the ages because His salvation is real, living and breathing, and He is alive. He isn't just a bunch of dead words on a stone tablet.

It sounds very much like what I have been trying to say.
one of my favourite quotes: deaf dumb and blind, they will not return to the straight path [quran] :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending