The Student Room Group

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations

Scroll to see replies

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)

how very tolerant...
Reply 41
"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God"
Reply 42
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion." -- Robert M. Pirsig
(edited 10 years ago)
“Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.”

Orson Scott
Reply 44
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the philosophers as false, and by the rulers as useful." -- Seneca the Younger
Reply 45
"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -- Richard Dawkins
Reply 46
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." -- George Bernard Shaw
“Do you really mean to tell me the only reason you try to be good is to gain God's approval and reward, or to avoid his disapproval and punishment? That's not morality, that's just sucking up, apple-polishing, looking over your shoulder at the great surveillance camera in the sky, or the still small wiretap inside your head, monitoring your every move, even your every base though.” - Richard Dawkins
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than other

Douglas Adams
Original post by Radicalathiest
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than other

Douglas Adams

Damn straight. :cool:
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Proverbs 31:10-31
The Wife of Noble Character

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband
Proverbs 31:10-31The Wife of Noble CharacterA wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.Probably ranks as one of the first female entrepreneurs, move over Kelly Hoppen:wink:, this is the woman I hope to be :smile:
That's nice :smile: Need to read Proverbs at some point lol
Original post by Serendipitee
That's nice :smile: Need to read Proverbs at some point lol

Yes, I'd recommend it. Its full of wise advice. :smile:
Yes, I'd recommend it. Its full of wise advice. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Is there anywhere I can find an interpretation/guide thingy to the Bible too? Not the most theologically advanced when it comes to Abrahamic religions, so I like to have an explanation alongside me too :colondollar:
Original post by Serendipitee
Thanks :smile: Is there anywhere I can find an interpretation/guide thingy to the Bible too? Not the most theologically advanced when it comes to Abrahamic religions, so I like to have an explanation alongside me too :colondollar:

Yes, its really good to have some commentary to go alongside the Bible because it often explains what was happening historically in the country at that time too and that insight explains a lot.

Spoiler

Hopefully other Christians can recommend good resources too.:smile:
Yes, its really good to have some commentary to go alongside the Bible because it often explains what was happening historically in the country at that time too and that insight explains a lot.

Spoiler

Hopefully other Christians can recommend good resources too.:smile:

Thank you very much :smile: Sorry, the link doesn't work - which version of the Bible is it? Would you recommend buying a physical version? (I have the NIV in e book form at the minute).
Reply 56
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(Romans 5:8)

Beautiful - reminds me how amazing God's love is for us! :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by captain.sensible
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)

how very tolerant...

...I want you to know that God’s salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!
(Acts 28:28)

Not true anymore, mate! That became outdated in 0-30AD! :smile:
Original post by Preacher
(Acts 28:28)

Not true anymore, mate! That became outdated in 0-30AD! :smile:

Why?
Hovamol:

10. A better burden | may no man bear
For wanderings wide than wisdom;
It is better than wealth | on unknown ways,
And in grief a refuge it gives.

11. A better burden | may no man bear