The Student Room Group

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serendipitee
Thank you very much :smile: Sorry, the link doesn't work - which version of the Bible is it? Would you recommend buying a physical version? (I have the NIV in e book form at the minute).

I checked the link worked before submitting, seems like it disappeared - woops :tongue: .

I have the NIV Life Application Bible.

You learn something new every day, yes it is available as an ebook now
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Application-Study-Bible-NIV-ebook/dp/B007BH371O

Hope link works:smile:
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
I checked the link worked before submitting, seems like it disappeared - woops :tongue: .

I have the NIV Life Application Bible.

You learn something new every day, yes it is available as an ebook now
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Application-Study-Bible-NIV-ebook/dp/B007BH371O

Hope link works:smile:

No worries :tongue: Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Preacher
(Acts 28:28)

Not true anymore, mate! That became outdated in 0-30AD! :smile:

there's one for the big list of biblical contradictions then
Reply 63
Original post by captain.sensible
there's one for the big list of biblical contradictions then

Not really - you heard of time passing? The Bible is linear - starts at the beginning, moves on to the end - don't people know this by now?
Not really - you heard of time passing? The Bible is linear - starts at the beginning, moves on to the end - don't people know this by now?

so if god says "kill atheists" tomorrow and suddenly changes his mind tomorrow, how can his morality be consistent and how can it be said to be immutable and objectively true when it shifts at the drop of a hat? and if god changes his mind on a matter like this then it simply suggests that he made a mistake the first time around, and god's aren't meant to make mistakes. and if he's simply bowing to cultural relativism then he's not a very principled or noble god, is he? religions aren't meant to be about popularity, they're meant to be about the truth (at least to the followers)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
so if god says "kill atheists" tomorrow and suddenly changes his mind tomorrow, how can his morality be consistent and how can it be said to be immutable and objectively true when it shifts at the drop of a hat? and if god changes his mind on a matter like this then it simply suggests that he made a mistake the first time around, and god's aren't meant to make mistakes. and if he's simply bowing to cultural relativism then he's not a very principled or noble god, is he? religions aren't meant to be about popularity, they're meant to be about the truth (at least to the followers)

It doesn't 'change at the drop of a hat' as you put it - God's law is consistant throughout the Bible and today. God is good - therefore everything He does has to be good and consistant with his Word.

But doesn't God order killing? Well yes...I've included a quote from a book called Grill a Christian which answers that point:

Doesn't God sanction war in the Old Testament?

'To understand this answer correctly, and in context, we must understand that God hates wrongdoing. He cannot tolerate it. The Bible's word for it is sin.

In all cases in the Bible where God allows or commands life to be taken, it is as a consequence of a people's sinfullness. Without exception this is true. God is holy, and pure. All sin is abhorrent to Him. In the very beginning, God warned Adam and Eve, the first humans, that if they disobeyed Him, they would 'surely die'. They did just that, and true to God's word, death entered the world.

So does God counter wrong with another wrong? No, because although death is a dreadful thing, God at times commands people to be put to death, or forfeit their life, not for revenge or out of inappropriate anger, but because God is just and sin cannot continue unpunished. God, the Giver of Life, and the One who takes it away, will at times end a life to prevent the prolonging of wickedness. This can happen to nations, cities and individuals.

It would be natural then to feel that every individual deserves such condemnation. But the wonderful news is that God has acted [since the Old Testament ended] to put away our sin. Sin brings death. The Bible says 'that without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sin.' (Hebrews 9:22). Out of love for us, Jesus has come to die as a sacrifice for our sin. The Bible says that 'Jesus came only once and for all, sacrificing Himself...He was offered as a sacrifice once to take away the sins of all time. He can at just the right time to take away all sin of many people...' (Hebrews 9:26-28).

You and I can have freedom from sin, and the punishment it deserves, through the costly death of Jesus. He has exchanged places with us - the guilty judgement was taken off us and laid on Him so that we may be given a non-guilty' verdict. The question is: will we accept this offer by recieving Jesus into our lives?'

This kind of explains how God can remain consistant - His law still stands, but He now offers a chance of forgiveness through His son Jesus.

Sorry if I've seemed arrogant over the past few posts - I've just heard these points so many times it can get a little tiring arguing them! :smile:

Can I say I don't like your favourite scripture/quotation above :tongue:

ps. you have got your faiths muddled here. The Christian God says to love your enemies, not to kill them. Remember we have the 10 commandments 'thou shall not kill'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can I say I don't like your favourite scripture/quotation above :tongue:

ps. you have got your faiths muddled here. The Christian God says to love your enemies, not to kill them. Remember we have the 10 commandments 'thou shall not kill'.

so somehow it's not a contradiction to have a commandment that says thou shall not kill but then killing almost every human and every animal in the world with a massive flood? and somehow you should love your enemies but then kill them anyway e.g. witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, adulterers, non-believers, blasphemers, false-prophets, people who work on the sabbath, etc?
Reply 68
(Acts 28:28)

Not true anymore, mate! That became outdated in 0-30AD! :smile:

so God got it wrong the first time?
Reply 69
“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -- Stephen F. Roberts
so somehow it's not a contradiction to have a commandment that says thou shall not kill but then killing almost every human and every animal in the world with a massive flood? and somehow you should love your enemies but then kill them anyway e.g. witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, adulterers, non-believers, blasphemers, false-prophets, people who work on the sabbath, etc?

I don't know what century you live in but I'm in the 21st????? Christians are not killing any of the people in the list you have provided.

If you are referring to Noah's flood first of all do you believe it happened? If not then why are you so upset about it?

If you do believe it took place then you will need to do some research to find out why.
I don't know what century you live in but I'm in the 21st????? Christians are not killing any of the people in the list you have provided.

that just means that they're hypocrites then for not following their religion. but at least hypocrisy is better than genocide.

If you are referring to Noah's flood first of all do you believe it happened? If not then why are you so upset about it?

wow, this logic is awful. that's like saying that I'm not allowed to say that darth vader was an evil character because he exists in a fictional movie. god in the bible, which you believe in, is evil, so you follow an evil religion which doesn't deserve to be followed. that's the point I was making. that's why I criticise your morality or cowardice for being a christian who follows a tyrannical and bloodthirsty god.

If you do believe it took place then you will need to do some research to find out why.

again I'm not claiming it did, a world-wide flood is impossible, and to add, there's almost huge amounts of evidence that it didn't happen anyway. if you consider it a likely evident, let alone one that happened, then you aren't any less naive than a child who believes in fairytales
Reply 72
"Love God

not Religion."
Reply 73
"Until we can come face to face with the deepest, darkest fact of life without it damaging our view of God, we do not yet know him"
Reply 74
"Your heart must become a sea of love

Your mind must become a river of detachment"
"Give Peas a Chance"

(on bridge over M40 or M1 - I forget now)
2 Cor 5v17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
Comprando un petardo, ho pensato a te, Romanista bastardo.

Hope it counts.

Ok ok, maybe this one:
"So the next day, my father went to see him; only this time with Luca Brasi. An' within an hour, he signed a release, for a certified check for $1000. [Kay: "How'd he do that?"] My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse. [Kay: "What was that?"] Luca Brasi held a gun to his head and my father assured him that either his brains, or his signature, would be on the contract. That's a true story. That's my family, Kay, it's not me."

Failing all that, here The One:
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.

Yours, Jesus.
Reply 78
When asked which was the greatest commandment Jesus replied:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with walk your mind” That is the first and greatest commandment.

And the second is like it:

“love your neighbour as yourself”

“Having Faith”

I’ll be focusing the posts I make/ quotes I share on that throughout this coming week :perv: I was scrolling through this thread and saw quite a few religious and non religious views/ quotes about faith so its quite a 'juicy topic' :rofl:. If anyone has any more quotes on this topic post/share it here :colone:

However, if you have quotes that aren't too do with this topic still post them! :biggrin: :perv:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go”

“If you do not stand firm in your faith you will not stand at all”

“Ask the Lord your God for a sign whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights…

..I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to test”

- Isiah 6
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending