The Student Room Group

Post your favourite scriptures or quotations

Scroll to see replies

A description of contemplative prayer by St Teresa of Avila, that I really like:

"Contemplative prayer [oracion mental] in my opinion is nothing else than a close sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with him who we know loves us."

:love:
Reply 81
“Lord I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed…….

When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him “I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith….

Then Jesus said to the centurion “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that very hour .

-Matthew 8
Reply 82
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn, yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest” - Luke 12 vs. 22-26
Reply 83
Hebrews 11:

Now faith is being SURE of what we HOPE FOR and CERTAIN of what WE DO NOT SEE. This is what the ancient were commended for.
BY faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.
By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken he was commended as one who pleased God. And WITHOUT FAITH it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of their righteousness that comes by faith.
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Issac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

By faith Abraham, even though he was past age- and Sarah herself was barren- was enabled to become a father because he CONSIDERED HIM FAITHFUL WHO HAD MADE THE PROMISE. And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

All these people were still LIVING BY FAITH when they died. They did nOT receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted they were ALIENS and STRANGERS on EArth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a COUNTRY OF THEIR OWN. If they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. INstead, they were lONGING FOR A BETTER COUNTRY- A HEAVENLY ONE. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them......"
(edited 10 years ago)
This is probably the most famous (or one of) verses from the Bible, but it is my absolute favourite.

John 3:16:" For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"
A few from some very wise and beloved Catholic saints:

“For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.”

St. Therese of Lisieux

“Pray, Hope, and Don’t Worry”
St. Pio of Pietrelcino

“If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world ablaze!”
St. Catherine of Sienna
"It is easier for lasagna to pass through the holes of a colander than it is for a rich person to enter Paradise."
—Ishmali Camuwundra

​from the church of the FSM.
Reply 87
Original post by ninja_dragon
"It is easier for lasagna to pass through the holes of a colander than it is for a rich person to enter Paradise."
—Ishmali Camuwundra

​from the church of the FSM.

:thumbsup:
Reminds me of the verse

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also "
Reply 88
ISAIAH 40:31

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint. "

Reply 90
"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power."

- 1 Corinthians 2
Reply 91
Be alert and of sober mind.

Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

[U]Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

- 1 Peter 5
(edited 10 years ago)
John 10:10

The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy.

I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).
2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
Proverbs 19:21

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails
Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
Reply 96
Romans 10:12 -14

For it is with your HEART that you BELIEVE and are JUSTIFIED, and it is with your MOUTH that you PROFESS your FATIH and are SAVED. As Scripture says, “ANYONE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NEVER BE PUT TO SHAME.” For there is NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEW AND GENTILE—the SAME LORD IS LORD OF ALL and RICHLY BLESSES ALL WHO CALL ON HIM, for, “EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? AS it is written: "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS!”

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Even if they sin against you seven times a day and seven times come back to you saying "I repent", you must forgive them.

The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our Faith!'

He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea' and it will obey you. - Luke 17

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
John 14:

“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.......... Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does NOT love me will NOT OBEY my teaching. These words you hear are NOT MY OWN; they belong to the Father who SENT ME.

All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the HOLY SPIRIT, whom the Father will send in my name, will TEACH you all things and will REMIND YOU OF EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID to you. PEACE I LEAVE WITH YOU and my peace I give you. I DO NOT GIVE TO YOU AS THE WORLD GIVES. Do NOT let your HEARTS BE TROUBLED and DO NOT BE AFRAID.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[h="3"]Psalm 121[/h]King James Version (KJV)

121 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending