The Student Room Group

please help me check this work experience e-mail

i want to someone to help me to check whether this e-mail for a work experience request is good to be sent off; but personally, i would like the things to be arranged through the internet, i don't like going out unnecessarily:

Dear Sir or Madam:

my name is XXXXX and i am 16 years old, currently attending XXXXX and I am looking for a placement for a summer holiday's worth work experience for the period from 25th of July to the end of August. I would much appreciate the opportunity to do this work experience in your you architecture firm as I am interested in the field of architecture, and am currently aiming for the career of an architect. This opportunity would open many doors for me in the future.
i have done 3d modeling with a software named blender for the past 2 and a half years. I also have basic skills for programming.
If there is a possibility of such a placement, I would be pleased to meet with the appropriate person to discuss what I might do during the the work experience. If this is not possible, I would appreciate an early response so that I can make alternative arrangements.
My contact details are listed below.
Thanking you in anticipation

[contact details]
Reply 1
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently a student at XXXXX, and I am eager to gain some valuable work experience this summer, for the period beginning 25th of July, to the end of August. I would appreciate the opportunity to carry out this work experience with ( NAME OF FIRM ), as I am extremely interested in the field of architecture, and am passionate about becoming an architect myself. This opportunity would open many doors for me in the future, and I am certain that working within #firm will enhance my appreciation for the industry.

I currently have experience with the 3D modeling software Blender, and I also have basic skills for programming. I believe these abilities would be utilised well within a working environment such as yours.

If there is a possibility of such a placement, I would be pleased to meet with you to discuss it further. If this is not possible, I would appreciate an early response so that I can make alternative arrangements.

I look forward to your reply,

Yours Sincerely

[contact details]

You may also want to talk about them a little more - how you found out about them, why you are interested in them. Show some initiative and understanding of the company specifically. Refer to how you can help them, rather than just the other way around. Make sure you check your grammar, because if your draft was the final one... not great! P:
Original post by vin1832
i want to someone to help me to check whether this e-mail for a work experience request is good to be sent off; but personally, i would like the things to be arranged through the internet, i don't like going out unnecessarily:

Dear Sir or Madam:

my name is XXXXX and i am 16 years old, currently attending XXXXX and I am looking for a placement for a summer holiday's worth work experience for the period from 25th of July to the end of August. I would much appreciate the opportunity to do this work experience in your you architecture firm as I am interested in the field of architecture, and am currently aiming for the career of an architect. This opportunity would open many doors for me in the future.
i have done 3d modeling with a software named blender for the past 2 and a half years. I also have basic skills for programming.
If there is a possibility of such a placement, I would be pleased to meet with the appropriate person to discuss what I might do during the the work experience. If this is not possible, I would appreciate an early response so that I can make alternative arrangements.
My contact details are listed below.
Thanking you in anticipation

[contact details]

You're asking for a whole month of work experience?! Have you any idea how inconvenient it is for most businesses to take on work experience students?

Try "I am available from date A to date B" and ask if it is possible for ANY length of experience. You'll be lucky to get more than a week, maybe even just a day of shadowing.
Reply 3
Original post by Hedgeman49
You're asking for a whole month of work experience?! Have you any idea how inconvenient it is for most businesses to take on work experience students?

Try "I am available from date A to date B" and ask if it is possible for ANY length of experience. You'll be lucky to get more than a week, maybe even just a day of shadowing.

That seems incredibly pessimistic to me. A company receiving a proactive request for work experience without even a mention of pay would go down a treat in many companies, as it shows a willingness and enthusiasm outside of the compulsory work experience pupils often undertake, arranged indirectly through the school.

I can't speak for every sector but IT companies where I am are always happy to take people on, especially if they already have some practical skills to bring. Of course it's an inconvenience to some companies, but there are also huge benefits to many others.

That said, I do agree with leaving the request flexible. awe's wording seems to hit the nail on the head for me as it is clear on availability and flexible in duration of placement :smile:
Original post by DarkWhite
That seems incredibly pessimistic to me. A company receiving a proactive request for work experience without even a mention of pay would go down a treat in many companies, as it shows a willingness and enthusiasm outside of the compulsory work experience pupils often undertake, arranged indirectly through the school.

I can't speak for every sector but IT companies where I am are always happy to take people on, especially if they already have some practical skills to bring. Of course it's an inconvenience to some companies, but there are also huge benefits to many others.

That said, I do agree with leaving the request flexible. awe's wording seems to hit the nail on the head for me as it is clear on availability and flexible in duration of placement :smile:

But what can someone with no training do at an architecture firm? The options are basically make tea or shadowing - anything else needs constant supervision.

Awe's response is good but isn't explicit about flexibility of duration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending