The Student Room Group

Film Makers Society

I've searched a little and I can't seem to find one, so I thought I'd make one.
Howdy all! Any filmmakers around?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a filmmaker myself, but the whole process has always interested me and the many behind-the-scenes people who work to get a film made.

How did you get into filmmaking?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Dragonborn
I'm not a filmmaker myself, but the whole process has always interested me and the many behind-the-scenes people who work to get a film made.

How did you get into filmmaking?

I've always been interested in film to be honest. I've been acting since a young age so I guess it was just the natural progression of things. I take note of what is going on on sets and apply them to my own projects.
Original post by CharlieTT
I've always been interested in film to be honest. I've been acting since a young age so I guess it was just the natural progression of things. I take note of what is going on on sets and apply them to my own projects.

Are you a student filmmaker or professional? And what sorts of projects are you working on?

(Sorry to be bombarding you with all these questions, but I'm very passionate about film and I'm really interested in filmmaking :biggrin:)
Reply 4
Are you a student filmmaker or professional? And what sorts of projects are you working on?

(Sorry to be bombarding you with all these questions, but I'm very passionate about film and I'm really interested in filmmaking :biggrin:)

Neither. I'm a student, but I do film work in my spare time. Most of it is student productions or small indie films, a lot of it isn't very good, but I enjoy my time on it.
Neither. I'm a student, but I do film work in my spare time. Most of it is student productions or small indie films, a lot of it isn't very good, but I enjoy my time on it.

Do you reckon you could make a career out of it, perhaps in the future?
Reply 6
Do you reckon you could make a career out of it, perhaps in the future?

It'd be nice, but like all art you need to have something to fall back on. The film industry is pretty volatile.
It'd be nice, but like all art you need to have something to fall back on. The film industry is pretty volatile.

So I've heard! I don't plan on studying film as a subject (when I go to uni) but it'd be great to be able to do it as a hobby/part-time thing. Are you a film student yourself? If not how did you start to get involved in film production?
Reply 8
I'm aspiring. I've applied to the BBC work experience in their film-making department. Also my A-level choices all resolve on working in film.
Reply 9
So I've heard! I don't plan on studying film as a subject (when I go to uni) but it'd be great to be able to do it as a hobby/part-time thing. Are you a film student yourself? If not how did you start to get involved in film production?

You've already asked me that.

Original post by DebkoX
I'm aspiring. I've applied to the BBC work experience in their film-making department. Also my A-level choices all resolve on working in film.

Good luck to you! Certainly beats my work experience. I did WE at a school.
You've already asked me that.

Ah yes, I should have been clearer, my bad. I meant to say, how did you start getting involved in filmmaking? How did you begin? Was it through school, or university filmmaking society? Or did you see a film set nearby and ask for work? Or did you just start by making your own films straight away?
Reply 11
Ah yes, I should have been clearer, my bad. I meant to say, how did you start getting involved in filmmaking? How did you begin? Was it through school, or university filmmaking society? Or did you see a film set nearby and ask for work? Or did you just start by making your own films straight away?

Well I've been acting since a young age. I was in a Stage School and got a job in a Disney Commercial (I dunno if you can still find it, it was about two kids that couldn't go to sleep because they were excited about going to Disneyland Paris). So it was really a case of I took note of everything going on around me and eventually moved to behind the camera. Started making films with friends from College.
Reply 12
Hi, I'm a filmmaker too! I'm studying Film Production, in my 2nd year, and through the course I've written, produced and directed several short films, a documentary and a music video (along with several essays :frown: )

I do plan to make a career out of it after I graduate, with teaching as a backup option. Because I'm not in the US, I'll probably end up in TV, or freelance work.

Just thought I'd say hi, and also that it's good to have a film section on TSR :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by askew116
Hi, I'm a filmmaker too! I'm studying Film Production, in my 2nd year, and through the course I've written, produced and directed several short films, a documentary and a music video (along with several essays :frown: )

I do plan to make a career out of it after I graduate, with teaching as a backup option. Because I'm not in the US, I'll probably end up in TV, or freelance work.

Just thought I'd say hi, and also that it's good to have a film section on TSR :biggrin:

What Uni are you at? Is any of your stuff up on vimeo?
Reply 14
What Uni are you at? Is any of your stuff up on vimeo?

I'm at Northampton Uni.

I haven't signed up for Vimeo yet, and using YouTube for now.

Here's a trailer for my latest film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHmuhWrHU34

Are any of your videos online anywhere?
Reply 15

Are any of your videos online anywhere?

Some that I've starred in yes, but my self-produced flicks aren't at a stage where I'm comfortable showing them yet :P
Reply 16
Some that I've starred in yes, but my self-produced flicks aren't at a stage where I'm comfortable showing them yet :P

Fair enough. Is there any particular genre you prefer?
Reply 17
Original post by Sphodromantis
Your film trailer is good, cinematography is great, you may want to play around with fonts until it looks themactic to the trailer. And maybe play with colour correction, for gritty scenes like the ×hmm× you could desaturate it slightly. What software do you use?

Heres an example of my film trailer that is currently under development.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfJSTQ1A5lo

I liked your trailer :smile: It was a slow start but the final few seconds were worth it!

The colour correction for the actual film is a lot more polished - I basically just knocked the trailer together over a day or so, with minimal colour correction/sound mixing.

I used FCP7 for the edit, with a couple of shots (not shown in the trailer) jazzed up in After Effects.
Reply 18
Original post by Sphodromantis
Haha yeah, the final edit has a soundtrack, a lot faster and dead animals and gore. Cheers,

Ahh yep cool so its basically a pre vis then. Ahh nice. Cool, still good though, at least your footage was a lot cleaner than mine and the audio was better. :smile:

Was going to use my dslr but I opted to book their sony z1e, you can see the difference in quality and I ended up having to foley as somebody messed with the mic input so no sound was recorded. :tongue:

Cool, I like the Z1E - the very first film I made was shot on it. The Gift Giver was shot with a Panasonic AG-HMC - it's an old model but a good workhorse. The shoot was a nightmare for me personally, as I had no crew! What saved me though was having access to a Glidecam, which allowed me to get smooth motion.

I feel your pain about mic inputs - I was filming a wedding last year, and the same thing happened!

Fortunately I had a DSLR filming from a different angle, so although the sound quality wasn't great, it was better than nothing!
Reply 19
Fair enough. Is there any particular genre you prefer?

I enjoy shooting genre flicks such as horror, noir, sci-fi, crime etc. But Dramas are just so easy that I find myself shooting a lot of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest