The Student Room Group

need help on this question

what do you think of the way Carlson speaks and behaves here? give reasons for what you say,and remember to support your answer with words and phrases from the extract.

EXTRACT:
The thick-bodied Carlson came in out of the darkening yard. He walked to the other end of the bunk-house and turned on the second shaded light. ‘Darker’n’hell in here,’ he said. ‘Jesus, how that ****** can pitch shoes.’
‘He’s plenty good,’ said Slim.
‘Damn right he is,’ said Carlson. ‘He don’t give nobody else a chance to win ...’ He stopped and sniffed the air, and still sniffing, looked down at the old dog. ‘God Awmighty that dog stinks. Get him outa here, Candy! I don’t know nothing that stinks so bad as an old dog. You gotta get him out.’
Candy rolled to the edge of his bunk. He reached over and patted the ancient dog, and he apologized: ‘I been around him so much I never notice how he stinks.’
‘Well, I can’t stand him in here,’ said Carlson. ‘That stink hangs around even after he’s gone.’ He walked over with his heavy-legged stride and looked down at the dog. ‘Got no teeth,’ he said. ‘He’s all stiff with rheumatism. He ain’t no good to you, Candy. An’ he ain’t no good to himself. Why’n’t you shoot him, Candy?’
The old man squirmed uncomfortably. ‘Well hell! I had him so long. Had him since he was a pup. I herded sheep with him.’ He said proudly: ‘You wouldn’t think it to look at him now, but he was the best damn sheep dog I ever seen.’
George said: ‘I seen a guy in Weed that had an Airedale could herd sheep. Learned it from the other dogs.’
Carlson was not to be put off. ‘Look, Candy. This ol’ dog jus’ suffers hisself all the time. If you was to take him out and shoot him right in the back of the head’ he leaned over and pointed ‘right there, why he’d never know what hit him.’
Candy looked about unhappily. ‘No,’ he said softly. ‘No, I couldn’t do that. I had ’im too long.’
‘He don’t have no fun,’ Carlson insisted. ‘And he stinks to beat hell. Tell you what. I’ll shoot him for you. Then it won’t be you that does it.’
Candy threw his legs off his bunk. He scratched the white stubble whiskers on his cheek nervously. ‘I’m so used to him,’ he said softly. ‘I had him from a pup.’
‘Well, you ain’t bein’ kind to him keepin’ him alive,’ said Carlson. ‘Look, Slim’s bitch got a litter right now. I bet Slim would give you one of them pups to raise up, wouldn’t you, Slim?’

Quick Reply

Latest