The Student Room Group

Advanced highers?

Hey,

So, it has just been revealed that where normally, for every single advanced higher you choose, you could drop one other subject, and apparently now, to raise "levels of attainment" 5 subjects must be chosen no matter what the level.

So my question is: is it possible to cope with two advanced highers, say, music & chemistry along with three other additional highers? Or is that just too much work?

Thank you!
Reply 1
It's not the SQA enforcing this rule, it's my school! I'm just wondering whether it's a good idea or not, i.e. Will I cope?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MrFulton1
Hey,

So, it has just been revealed that where normally, for every single advanced higher you choose, you could drop one other subject, and apparently now, to raise "levels of attainment" 5 subjects must be chosen no matter what the level.

So my question is: is it possible to cope with two advanced highers, say, music & chemistry along with three other additional highers? Or is that just too much work?

Thank you!

I think you're a bit mistaken too. :tongue:

From what I remember, at schools, if you took 1 AH, you could choose to have 1 column free. However, that doesn't mean that, with 2 AHs, you'd have 2 columns free.

Having said that, if you took 3 AHs, then you didn't have to take anything else. So, therefore, if you took 2 AHs, you probably have to take one or two more subjects, and if you took 1 AH, the same rule would apply so you'd have to take 2 or 3 more subjects. It's just when you do 3 or 4 AHs usually when you don't need other subjects.

Maybe your school has got a new rule that's different than every other school's, so I don't know. Check again. :smile: If you have the grades in S5, I'd say to take a range of courses especially if you don't need it for university; take challenging ones so you don't become complacent but, give yourself some breathing room as well.
Reply 3
I checked. I'm not mistaken, apparently free columns aren't being used in the way that they should be, so it's being phased out at my school. No matter how many advanced highers you take you still need 5 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MrFulton1
I checked. I'm not mistaken, apparently free columns aren't being used in the way that they should be, so it's being phased out at my school. No matter how many advanced highers you take you still need 5 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that is the case, I wouldn't recommend doing 2 AHs with 3 Highers or 3 AHs with 2 Highers unless you can cope with it. If you have the grades that you need in S5, and you're not needing particular AHs, take some subjects in S6 that might be less stressful like an Int 2 or an Award of some kind.
Reply 5
My school replaced free periods with Supervised Study last year. Essentially on your column off you spend the time in a study room with a member of the SMT who ensures there is something productive going on. Fair enough in my opinion.
Reply 6
Original post by jackamakka
My school replaced free periods with Supervised Study last year. Essentially on your column off you spend the time in a study room with a member of the SMT who ensures there is something productive going on. Fair enough in my opinion.

I agree. I wish that at my school, they had monitored me more :tongue: Having said that, I learned from my mistakes since coming to university. I guess that in a way, high school is the time to make mistakes, but if you don't learn from those mistakes, then that's a bit silly.
Reply 7
We have just chosen our course for S6 today. We were allowed to choose a maximum of four subjects (one column was free for independent study). If you chose at least one AH subject then you had a choice to only choose another two subjects which would leave another column (that is then replaced with "Activity Agreement" which is just volunteering or helping the younger years in their classes). I have chosen 3 AHs along with "Activity Agreement" and "Study" but there are others who have taken 2 AHs and 2 Highers which allows a larger freedom of choice than previous years. I really like the way our school structured it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending