The Student Room Group

I hate music (yes, all of it)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not ALL music though... :unsure:
Reply 21
I suppose if you prefer silence or natural sounds such as wind through trees or birds singing or farting
then fair enough. A lot of people like music of some sort because it can tap into their emotional senses, be it to calm them, make them happy, they connect with the lyrics or it amplifies how they currently feel.

But I can understand how if you've been drilled with constant beats and blaring tunes and charts that silence is something blissful to you, and I completely respect that.

I suppose that for you, silence is golden.

Spoiler

Reply 22
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I suppose if you prefer silence or natural sounds such as wind through trees or birds singing or farting
then fair enough. A lot of people like music of some sort because it can tap into their emotional senses, be it to calm them, make them happy, they connect with the lyrics or it amplifies how they currently feel.

But I can understand how if you've been drilled with constant beats and blaring tunes and charts that silence is something blissful to you, and I completely respect that.

I suppose that for you, silence is golden.

Spoiler

In what way?
Reply 23
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
What is it with you nerds ?

WHY must everything have a logical explanation and point ?

I don't get the point in fashion
I don't get the point in music
What are the benefits of clubbing
Why do people drink
Why do people choose Arts
Why do people smile

Just gtfo , you people make me sick.

I suppose in the same way scientists want to know how the physical world works around us to the very last detail, psychologists want to know what makes people tick and make an attempt at doing to very in-depth detail. If anything, the mind just a more complex system with a few hidden quirks which we just can't get our heads around.

[[PS I didn't mean to make psychology sound like it's not a form of science, it really is, just not in the physical touchy-feely realm]]
Reply 24

Why do people drink
Why do people smile

Completely agree, we see it fairly regularly on tsr, youngsters who think they're somehow special and unique for not liking things that everyone else does and that if someone doesn't share their opinion then they must be an idiot, attitudes that just come from pure naivety really. Soon they'll grow up and realise the reality of life, that everyone's different, just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean there's something wrong with them and there doesn't have to be a logical explanation for everything.
OP has clearly never discovered the wonder of Eastern European Turbo Folk Music
I suppose in the same way scientists want to know how the physical world works around us to the very last detail, psychologists want to know what makes people tick and make an attempt at doing to very in-depth detail. If anything, the mind just a more complex system with a few hidden quirks which we just can't get our heads around.

[[PS I didn't mean to make psychology sound like it's not a form of science, it really is, just not in the physical touchy-feely realm]]

I know but looking at everything in a logical way , as in everything must be profitable and productive is mundane and will severely impact how much you enjoy life .
Reply 27
You don't hate all music, you hate all the music you've heard so far. There will be some sort of music out there that you find interesting
Whilst I don't hate music, I could probably go without it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Cherx
In what way?

In the way that music can really alter your mood and thoughts. It's why they use string instruments with slow notes during sad parts in movies instead of something like the Hamster Dance. It's why horror movies don't seem half as scary when muted. It's how your favourite song is your favourite.

One of my all-time best songs is Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader, it makes me feel much better no matter how I felt before, and for a couple of notes to alter my mood like that is incredible. How can a couple of structured frequencies alter my brain's hormones and make it react so positively?

It's because if this power how it's easy to understand why that religion though it was the devil's call, you lose what you truly felt like, and to them, you lose your own thoughts.
Reply 30
Original post by Olie
Completely agree, we see it fairly regularly on tsr, youngsters who think they're somehow special and unique for not liking things that everyone else does and that if someone doesn't share their opinion then they must be an idiot, attitudes that just come from pure naivety really. Soon they'll grow up and realise the reality of life, that everyone's different, just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean there's something wrong with them and there doesn't have to be a logical explanation for everything.

I wasn't saying in the slightest that there was something wrong with people that like music, I was just asking for them to share their opinions and why, because I don't understand it. If I don't understand someone's opinion, then there's no harm in asking for elaboration, is there?

Why do people drink
Why do people smile

It's just my way of thinking. That's like saying that people with autism make you feel sick, because they feel and see things in a different way. I just like things that have a point or are able to be explained.

Original post by Aivicore
Seconded, I'd go mad. :colondollar:

Do you like any other creative stuff, OP, like art or poetry (or non-intelligent film)?

I like books, I guess that counts? Either fiction or non-fiction, I don't really mind. I guess I distance myself from the world by reading, whereas other people do it through music? It might be the same sort of thing really.

Original post by Seble
Sound, is nourishing to the soul.

I find silence more nourishing if I'm honest. It helps me think more, or focus on the book I'm reading :wink:
In the way that music can really alter your mood and thoughts. It's why they use string instruments with slow notes during sad parts in movies instead of something like the Hamster Dance. It's why horror movies don't seem half as scary when muted. It's how your favourite song is your favourite.

One of my all-time best songs is Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader, it makes me feel much better no matter how I felt before, and for a couple of notes to alter my mood like that is incredible. How can a couple of structured frequencies alter my brain's hormones and make it react so positively?

It's because if this power how it's easy to understand why that religion though it was the devil's call, you lose what you truly felt like, and to them, you lose your own thoughts.
I totally understand what you are saying and am very tuned into the effects of film music and the like, but I think some people are simply not wired up that way. I'm a word person and would always choose listening to Radio 4 or silence over putting on music. In fact, I don't actually know how to operate the music equipment in my house, although I do own an ipod, which my son puts things on that he thinks I should be aware of. I would never be able to come up with 8 records for Desert Island Discs.
Reply 32
I know but looking at everything in a logical way , as in everything must be profitable and productive is mundane and will severely impact how much you enjoy life .

Oh, well if you put it that way you have a point. Doing it for the money is a terrible form of motivation. If it's just for the pure reason of wanting to know then it's fine, right? Interested why people do stuff for your own comfort and all that?

Of course always asking why why why to things that really do not affect or concern you is rather pointless. I suppose the way the question is asked would hint towards the reason of the question in the first place [[If out of annoyance or irritation, it's a waste of a question]]
Reply 33

I don't really think like that though, because I enjoy knowing things or being better than I was before. Yet I don't really compete with other people, I just compete with myself. I challenge myself to learn more, become cleverer than before, read longer and more complex books. I find that fun, even though you all probably think it's a lonely and sad life. I have enough friends, and I enjoy the friends I have and I enjoy being by myself and thinking hard about everything. I guess I'm not the most social of people though :biggrin:
Profitable and productive may just be a side-effect of how I live, I don't know. I just enjoy it. (I wouldn't become profitable and productive from stealing from other people though. I'm not a sociopath.) :biggrin:

Looking back on what I just said, I probably do have a sad life. Eh, oh well :wink:
Original post by orporman
I don't really think like that though, because I enjoy knowing things or being better than I was before. Yet I don't really compete with other people, I just compete with myself. I challenge myself to learn more, become cleverer than before, read longer and more complex books. I find that fun, even though you all probably think it's a lonely and sad life. I have enough friends, and I enjoy the friends I have and I enjoy being by myself and thinking hard about everything. I guess I'm not the most social of people though :biggrin:
Profitable and productive may just be a side-effect of how I live, I don't know. I just enjoy it. (I wouldn't become profitable and productive from stealing from other people though. I'm not a sociopath.) :biggrin:

Looking back on what I just said, I probably do have a sad life. Eh, oh well :wink:

Your never going to get laid if you continue down that path , (unless you strike lucky and become a millionaire ) just letting you know.
Reply 35
Your never going to get laid if you continue down that path , (unless you strike lucky and become a millionaire ) just letting you know.

Hahaha, yeah, that might be an issue. :biggrin:
But as I said, I have enough friends, and I do like some people a lot, and some people seem to like me not sure why :wink: so I guess if I tried hard enough I might be able to get someone to have sex with me, or a like-minded/person-who-likes-my-mind person and fall in love with them and get married? I don't know, I can't tell the future :biggrin:
Hahaha, yeah, that might be an issue. :biggrin:
But as I said, I have enough friends, and I do like some people a lot, and some people seem to like me not sure why :wink: so I guess if I tried hard enough I might be able to get someone to have sex with me, or a like-minded/person-who-likes-my-mind person and fall in love with them and get married? I don't know, I can't tell the future :biggrin:

Humbert Humbert in the making
You kinda just insulted my religion :wink:
anyway the reason I love music perfectly fits a quote from Johnny Depp :

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't."
Reply 38
Original post by JackBlack
You kinda just insulted my religion :wink:
anyway the reason I love music perfectly fits a quote from Johnny Depp :

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't."

Oh, sorry! It was completely unintentional :smile:
What religion is that, by the way? (Not sure how I could have insulted any religion, as far as I know..?)
Oh, sorry! It was completely unintentional :smile:
What religion is that, by the way? (Not sure how I could have insulted any religion, as far as I know..?)

It's fine I'm joking. Music is my religion :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending