The Student Room Group

i'm so worried!!

these are my predicted grades..
chemistry-b/c
biology-a
mathematics-a

my chemistry sucks!! by the way, i'm applying to study medicine in UK (UCAS)this september.. well, as u guys can see my chemistry grade is not that impressive.. should i change my course?? but i really want to study medicine!!:frown: and i am fully awared that there is a quota for foreign students.. so it is quite unlikely for me to be called for interviews.. it is soo depressing+confusing!! i cry everytime i'm thinking about it.. should i try applying through irish consortium?? help me!! :confused:
Reply 1
If you really want to do medicine, apply! You have everything to gain. Never say you're not good enough - you don't know this as you haven't even applied yet.

Assuming these are predictions for A-level: B/C prediction for Chemistry would be a problem for medicine - as all offers for UK medical schools are now AAB or AAA, with several (eg Edinburgh, Newcastle) having this cycle (2007 entry) switched to AAA.

I would see if you can get a prediction of a straight B, or (since a large number of medical applicants will be predicted AAA or more), an A, though this later is not essential. I'd avoid places asking for AAA or those specifying an A in Chemistry (eg Bristol, Nottingham). To try to persuade your teachers, (and help you get a good grade), make a real effort come September - do all your work, read around your subject, ask intelligent questions in class (you may feel like a geek, but you want to get into medical school, so it's worth it), study hard for topic tests, etc.

If these are predictions for AS, the above still stands obviously, but you might not need to persuade your teachers just yet. Be aware that places will look at your AS results if you cash them in, and at least one (Nottingham) will look for AS results the same as their entry requirements (A in Chem, A, B).

Do you have four AS subjects? A lot of places ask for a fourth AS level if you can, though if your school/college doesn't allow it, almost everywhere will be okay with that.

For what it's worth - Chemistry is really hard, especially at AS. But*, grades aren't everything; I have an offer from a place wanting a higher grade at A2 than I got at AS. Your potential AAB is a very good set of grades, and will be enouigh for many medical schools. Also, make sure you have done and can talk about on your personal statement, work experience and hopefully some work shadowing too. Ideally you should have some long-term voluntary work, or working with people too. Places want to see what kind of person you are; people who have a 'suitable' personality but weaker grades can easily make better doctors than sociopathic grade monsters.

*Ooops... starting a sentence with a conjunction. What would my English teacher say?! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending