The Student Room Group

Automotive engineering

I was wondering how much designing is involved in doing automotive engineering and how much of it would be drawing as drawing isn't my strong point but using CAD would be fine?
Reply 1
It will ultimately depend on the course content for that individual university and how they decide to run things.

I do mechanical engineering and I wouldn't say I ever do artistic drawing - It's all sketches (quick and a little messy), technical drawings and things like that. Artistic stuff is more for mechanical design and automotive design. Engineering is much more on the side of function and making parts which work.

You will do a mixture of paper drawings and CAD on the course. The paper drawings aren't too bad as it's usually regular shapes, not organic curves and things like that which can be the trickier ones to draw. I'm awful at drawing, but the technical stuff isn't bad. CAD is usually about taking those technical drawings into a 3D form for better representation, evaluation or assembly. Knowing how to represent things such as screws, fillets and dimensions on paper makes this much easier.
Reply 2
Ok thanks, that's good to know, which university are you at, at the moment if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest