The Student Room Group

Would you date someone 20 years older

So my friend (female) has been dating a guy 23 years older than her now for 9 years and they have a six year old daughter.
they met when she was 19 and he was 42 :s-smilie:

they are really happy and love each other loads, has anyone else tried the 'extreme' age gap thing ?

how did it go ?
Reply 1
I would. But most women in their 40's do not want to go out with a guy in his early 20's. I assume this question applies to females, therefore.
Reply 2
There are a lot of celebrities in their late 30s early 40s that I fancy. However the logistics of a relationship with someone that much older than you mean it's not likely to work out. You're in very different places in your lives and while it worked for your friend, most people probably couldn't manage it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
no guys can have their say too - equal ops and all that :biggrin:
I've not had a relationship where the gap was as big as that but I think personally I wouldnt. I doubt I would have that much in common with someone who was born 2 decades before me. However, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Reply 5
I wouldn't personally, although I like more mature guys I think someone 20 years older is a bit too mature for me.. But each to their own, I know of some couples who have pretty big age gaps that have worked out :smile:
No I wouldn't, it's too big an age gap for me. 10 years yes, but not 20.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
So my friend (female) has been dating a guy 23 years older than her now for 9 years and they have a six year old daughter.
they met when she was 19 and he was 42 :s-smilie:

they are really happy and love each other loads, has anyone else tried the 'extreme' age gap thing ?

how did it go ?

Most teenage girls have a relationship with someone significantly older, most obviously don't work out, congrats to your friend.
Personally, I wouldn't go with some 20 years older - or 20 years younger! - because I find it really creepy.
Reply 8
Too big a gap for me. There's 14 years between me and the guy who wants a relationship with me. We're both at different stages in our life and that was originally partly why I didn't want to date him.
Reply 9
Wow, that's a massive age difference. I think it's personal choice though, if they're happy then age shouldn't come into it. I know quite a few people in relationships were there is a big age gap, some with the women being the older of the two.
Reply 10
No :/ too much of an age gap
That's almost the same age gap between me and my mum. That's far too strange!
It's a bit of a large age gap don't think my father would be very happy about it :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm it would be a very special case but I wouldn't say never.
I had an age gap of 17 years in my last relationship. (I'm 24, he was 41). We'd been friends for a few years beforehand and therefore got on well and had lots in common already. We were together for 8 months or so but the age gap had always bothered him at the back of his mind.

I guess when you're the elder one it might be more of an issue, though it wasn't a problem at all for me. Saying that, in 5 or 10 years time it may have been if things had gotten that serious. When you're in your early 20s you still have your whole life ahead of you, whereas when you're in your 40s or older I guess you're settled, so the difference in lifestyles makes quite a difference.

My family and friends were all very supportive though, I thought my parents would flip!!
Reply 15
I'm 20 and my boyfriend of 13 months is 49. He's just an amazing person who happens to be 29 years older than me! I think when someone says 'man in his forties', a lot of people picture a wrinkly monster or something, but really, if he lives a healthy lifestyle, a man can stay good looking well into old age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending