The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to firm or insurance..

I got lower grades than expected so I've had to apply to a 'not so good' uni for Economics. If I accept them as firm and once results are out, I go through adjustment, would I have to go to that uni if I don't get into a better uni through adjustment?
If you are unsure about what I said please ask for clarification and thanks for your help
unfortunately yes ): unless, you reject the offer or application ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
so if I select a uni as my firm and then go through adjustment (assuming I do better than expected) and I don't get into a better uni .. I HAVE to go to the firm choice? Why? I'll be paying £9000 a year going to a place I don't want to?
Original post by Blyts-_
I got lower grades than expected so I've had to apply to a 'not so good' uni for Economics. If I accept them as firm and once results are out, I go through adjustment, would I have to go to that uni if I don't get into a better uni through adjustment?
If you are unsure about what I said please ask for clarification and thanks for your help

Nobody's going to drag you kicking and screaming to university. You can withdraw if you wish on results day and go nowhere. Taking a year out might be your best bet.
You are not contractually obliged to go there. You could decline the offer, take a gap year and reapply for 2015 entry.
Reply 5
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You are not contractually obliged to go there. You could decline the offer, take a gap year and reapply for 2015 entry.

So I select it as firm by 7th May and decline once results are out?
Reply 6
do you think it's likely or unlikely that I can swap courses at a uni which I select as firm? Because they said to contact them once results are out.. but I'm thinking if I have them down as firm, I'll have to go to the uni and do a course which I don't really want to do
You can do that, though you don't have to decline it to go through Adjustment; you hold on to your firm offer. Or you could decline it now and try other universities through Extra, though there is a risk that you end up with no offers, and will have to rely on Clearing come results day.
Original post by Blyts-_
so if I select a uni as my firm and then go through adjustment (assuming I do better than expected) and I don't get into a better uni .. I HAVE to go to the firm choice? Why? I'll be paying £9000 a year going to a place I don't want to?

Then why did you apply to a university you don't want to go to?
Reply 9
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can do that, though you don't have to decline it to go through Adjustment; you hold on to your firm offer. Or you could decline it now and try other universities through Extra, though there is a risk that you end up with no offers, and will have to rely on Clearing come results day.

Is it possible to go through adjustment and apply at a good uni (Leicester) for Economics but if I don't get it then do clearing at an 'OK' uni?
Reply 10
Original post by Coffeetime
Then why did you apply to a university you don't want to go to?

Because of my predicted grades, I was limited with choices, I am re-taking exams to hopefully get better grades and so get into a better uni..
Original post by Blyts-_
Is it possible to go through adjustment and apply at a good uni (Leicester) for Economics but if I don't get it then do clearing at an 'OK' uni?

It might be possible, but there is a time issue here. You hold on to your firm offer while trying Adjustment. If that is unsuccessful and you want to try clearing, you will have to ask your firm choice to release you, and they can take days to do that, as it's not their top priority during such a busy period. By the time you have been released, there might not be any places left in clearing. That would leave you with no option other than taking a gap year.
Original post by Blyts-_

if you do better than expected, i say this with caution-- you will 'possibly' be able to get to a better uni w/out ur firm. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Blyts-_

You don't HAVE to go. You could withdraw and take a year out. For many people this is a better option than adjustment as they can spend more time researching universities and courses they are interested in.
No one will come to your house and kidnap you and force you to go to a uni you don't want to go to.
I had a friend who tried to avoid going to his insurance in Bangor. I never heard from him again, not sure if it's because he was killed by the natives or Room 101 that got him in the end though.
Original post by Blyts-_
If I select a uni as my firm, do I HAVE to go there?

If you get the grades on results day, you cannot choose to go to your insurance instead - that choice disappears the moment you meet your firm offer.

You can try to go through Adjustment / Clearing. If that doesn't work, you can withdraw from the UCAS system, take a gap year and reapply the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending