The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Guardian always is an alternative..:rolleyes:

But refer Lawz's thread which is stickied. Besides, league tables are a load of crap anyway! Dont read too much into them!
Reply 2
Yes, it's the most recent.
Reply 3

What, no entry for Leeds Met???!! :eek: :rolleyes: :p:

Seriously, league tables mean very little. Take with a liberal sprinkling of sea salt... :wink:

*** or maybe I just think this cos Im bitter....?!
Reply 4
Im sorry but I think the fac t that Strathclyde is higher than bristol and aberdeen is so high shows how unreliable these tables are.
ellewoods
What, no entry for Leeds Met???!!

Strangely Thames Valley University seem have been left off the list too...:rolleyes:
Reply 6
fundamentally
Strangely Thames Valley University seem have been left off the list too...:rolleyes:

Concrete proof these tables are a load of tosh!!! :p:
Reply 7
Anybody know how these rankings are made i.e. what criteria are used?

If the criteria includes things like like teaching, staff:student ratio, no. of people that get certain high grades, employability afterwards, then the ranking system can't be all that bad can it?
Reply 8
superdillon
If the criteria includes things like like teaching, staff:student ratio, no. of people that get certain high grades, employability afterwards, then the ranking system can't be all that bad can it?

Because as with any figures / statistics / rankings / surveys etc., the results can easily be massaged / manipulated, it is difficult to obtain realistically representative samples, etc etc etc. University, as with anything in life, cannot be reduced to a list. Opinions differ, and results can be interpreted differently for example.
Reply 9
ellewoods
Opinions differ, and results can be interpreted differently for example.

Do you think that this also applies to that recent law student-satisfaction survey that was done asking students to rate their degree and KCL performed the best?
I think this survey was for law although it might have been general to all subjects.
Ermmm Aberdeen may be awesome for Scottish Law, seriously how much do you know about the best unis for it. If its better for Scottish Law than Bristol is for English Law then of course it ranks higher.
superdillon
Do you think that this also applies to that recent law student-satisfaction survey that was done asking students to rate their degree and KCL performed the best?
I think this survey was for law although it might have been general to all subjects.

Can't forget to say that UCL came second or third :smile: :biggrin:

Anyway, I totally agree with ellewoods that figures can easily be manipulated, although that said I'm happy to see UCL getting one over on LSE :redface:
superdillon

Yes, I think it can apply to *anything*.
You don't know how many students answered the survey, or what parts of student society they surveyed.
Its possible the survey was done of students that formed part of the student Law Soc for example, and so who may have felt involved and valued and therefore very satisfied with their degree, as opposed to the students who had problems with the university, found the library hours inconvenient and tutors difficult to get in contact with.

I'm not saying these surveys, rankings, etc., should be disregarded completely, but that they should be held as an indicator or guideline.
Think of it in terms of holiday destinations - just because your friend loved somewhere for X, Y and Z reasons, doesn't mean you hold the same values and will also love it.
Obviously grade statistics will be hugely important, but even these can be manipulated unfortunately - for example, my brother wasn't entered for one of his A-Levels because he was expected to fail and the school wouldn't allow him to trash their statistics. So the schools' statistics are not truely reflective of what their students are, or are not, achieving.

Anything can be interpreted to suit a need or objective, and anything can be manipulated for the same reasons ... surely as a wannabe lawyer you should know that lol??!! :p: :cool:
Reply 13
ellewoods
Yes, I think it can apply to *anything*.
You don't know how many students answered the survey, or what parts of student society they surveyed.
Its possible the survey was done of students that formed part of the student Law Soc for example, and so who may have felt involved and valued and therefore very satisfied with their degree, as opposed to the students who had problems with the university, found the library hours inconvenient and tutors difficult to get in contact with.

I'm not saying these surveys, rankings, etc., should be disregarded completely, but that they should be held as an indicator or guideline.
Think of it in terms of holiday destinations - just because your friend loved somewhere for X, Y and Z reasons, doesn't mean you hold the same values and will also love it.
Obviously grade statistics will be hugely important, but even these can be manipulated unfortunately - for example, my brother wasn't entered for one of his A-Levels because he was expected to fail and the school wouldn't allow him to trash their statistics. So the schools' statistics are not truely reflective of what their students are, or are not, achieving.

Anything can be interpreted to suit a need or objective, and anything can be manipulated for the same reasons ... surely as a wannabe lawyer you should know that lol??!! :p: :cool:

Good post. In addition, it doesn't help that a lack of uniform measures are used in each case either - for example the Guardian tables look very different. I did raise my eyebrows at some of the names I saw. Would certainly agree that tables are of indicative value only. Also remember that places can go down as well as up..just because a place is in a certain position now doesn't mean it will be there when you graduate!
Reply 14
ellewoods

Yes I do know that. I just wanted, like a proper lawyer, too know all the views/evidence, before I made my mind up about it. That is why I asked about the criteria employed to construct the table.
superdillon
Yes I do know that. I just wanted, like a proper lawyer, too know all the views/evidence, before I made my mind up about it. That is why I asked about the criteria employed to construct the table.

Oh sweetheart it was a joke :rolleyes:
Mmm while membership of the Russell Group tends to be a good indication of a high quality institution, absence from the group doesn't really mean anything.
Onearmedbandit
Mmm while membership of the Russell Group tends to be a good indication of a high quality institution, absence from the group doesn't really mean anything.

True - Durham for example.
Reply 19
What's the significance of the "Russel Group" of universities?

Latest

Trending

Trending