The Student Room Group

Barts or King's for medicine?

Hi everyone,

So I know this question has been asked so many times but I genuinely have no idea which one to firm so really need some help from wise applicants/current students/past students.

I am leaning towards King's just because they do full body dissection, have more of a traditional course (I feel like this will cover all basis knowledge - wise) and I have my qualms Re: PBL at Barts.

However, I've been reading some of the blog entries by a past KCL medic and from what I gather, the quality of teaching there can be a bit patchy, especially with such a massive cohort! Also, when I went to Barts for my interview, the whole place just seemed so friendly, with a really nice sense of community.

All in all, very confused. I wouldn't call this a dilemma because I think I'd be ecstatic to go to any one of these two (considering I didn't even think I'd get into a single one when I first applied). London is also quite close to where I'm living now which is also a plus!

So why did you choose King's/Barts?

x

Edit: I just realised I asked a very similar question back in September but that was more re: location and this time, I think I'm more concerned re: quality of teaching. (Hahaha, horrible excuse for posting similar threads multiple times. Sorry everyone! But I still don't know where to go!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't mean to be facetious but I'm not sure you'll get a definitive answer from anyone. It's unlikely you'll find anyone who has studied medicine both at Kings and Barts to make a comparison and even if you did their experience may not be applicable to you. You will find students from all medical schools complaining about the teaching, written in the heat of the moment, and possibly posted onto a blog. Your reservations about PBL may not actually materialise. Doing a traditional course does not equate to you learning more unless you put in the the hard work to learn the knowledge.

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for. For the record, Barts is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending