The Student Room Group

Which Literature MA should I go for?

I applied to 3 places and was offered a place at all three. I have been offered a place at Newcastle, Edinburgh, and Durham.
I like all of the course equally.
Edinburgh is too expensive so I am ruling that out.
I live in Newcastle and I did my undergraduate degree there, so it is most convenient. Also I know and like the lecturers there. Moreover, I got the AHRC nomination there from the department, so there is a chance I could get funding.
Durham, has the most prestige, so it might be helpful for getting jobs. I don't think I will get any funding there.
I was thinking of choosing Newcastle if I get funding, and Durham if not. Does that seem the best choice? If I got funding I could then save some of the money and hopefully afford a PhD somewhere.
Does that seem the right option?
Reply 1
Original post by accountdh
I applied to 3 places and was offered a place at all three. I have been offered a place at Newcastle, Edinburgh, and Durham.
I like all of the course equally.

When it comes to postgraduate study, the most important thing is that the course should be a good fit for you - covering what you want to study, with good lecturers/supervisors in that area. But if you honestly like all the courses equally, then I suppose that makes things more difficult...! :wink:

Original post by accountdh

I was thinking of choosing Newcastle if I get funding, and Durham if not. Does that seem the best choice? If I got funding I could then save some of the money and hopefully afford a PhD somewhere.
Does that seem the right option?

I would say that yes, if you get funding, then you should absolutely go where the money is. Funding is extremely difficult to secure for English, especially for MAs, so it's fantastic that you've been nominated. Personally, I think the money you would save by having a funded MA would definitely outweigh any 'prestige' benefits you would get from Durham.

If you're not successful in getting funding at Newcastle, and you honestly like the courses at Newcastle and Durham completely equally, then I would say follow your heart and go where you think you'd be the happiest studying for a year. :smile:
I wouldn't go for prestige in exchange for something that is ultimately better value for money (I assume staying where you are now will cost less in terms of accommodation).

After a degree, I know from experience that most employers don't judge based on where you study. I knew an oxbridge English graduate on the dole and I know people who went to ex polys who have an income that I'd like to have. My point being that I don't think it's worth basing a decision on prestige alone because when it comes to employment, most employers look at lots of other factors such as personality, how well you interview, even your location in relation to the job for commuting purposes!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks, I am glad to see you think I am making the right choice. Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending