The Student Room Group

Manchester university conditional offer.

Hi guys, I need some advice about conditional offers. Basically I am on a gap year and I have decided to re-sit one module from A2 to improve my grades (My current A level grades are ACC) And that module is English literature, anyway so I applied to the course 'English language and middle eastern languages' and received my conditional offer yesterday. The only problem is that the offer is that I get an A in English which is pretty much impossible because to get an A overall in English I would have to get 100% in the exam I'm re-sitting which is very unlikely to happen. And the thing is the lowest entry requirement for the course is actually BBB and so if I improved my English literature grade to a B my grades would be equivalent to BBB. Anyway so I was wondering should I call the university and ask them if they will still accept me if I had the grades ABC? Or does anyone know if there is a chance they'll accept on results day if I get a B in English? :confused:.
Original post by M.B_95
Hi guys, I need some advice about conditional offers. Basically I am on a gap year and I have decided to re-sit one module from A2 to improve my grades (My current A level grades are ACC) And that module is English literature, anyway so I applied to the course 'English language and middle eastern languages' and received my conditional offer yesterday. The only problem is that the offer is that I get an A in English which is pretty much impossible because to get an A overall in English I would have to get 100% in the exam I'm re-sitting which is very unlikely to happen. And the thing is the lowest entry requirement for the course is actually BBB and so if I improved my English literature grade to a B my grades would be equivalent to BBB. Anyway so I was wondering should I call the university and ask them if they will still accept me if I had the grades ABC? Or does anyone know if there is a chance they'll accept on results day if I get a B in English? :confused:.

You can always ask, and let them know that achieving an A will mean getting 100%. However, they are relatively unlikely to budge - they've given you this offer for a reason.

I will also note that the entry requirements for that course are listed as AAB-BBB, and you should always assume that you will be given the highest offer - lower offers are often reserved for people with some evidence of being from a widening participation background.

You should also be aware that getting AAC would have meant that you fell outside the student number controls. Getting BBB or ABC would mean that you would count towards the limited number of students that they're allowed to take, which will make them more reluctant to take you.

But on this one, you can but ask.
I agree with everything Origami Bullets has said.

There is a chance that you could be accepted on results day with lower grades. However, no-one (not even the university) can speculate at how likely this is. It mainly depends on how many other students also miss their offer grades and by how much- of course no-one knows this until results day.

Having said that, as has been said, dropping from AAC (which would not count towards student number controls) to ABC (which would) means you are more likely to be rejected. Student number controls limit the numbers universities are allowed to accept with grades less than ABB or equivalent. If they have already filled this quota with students who achieved a lower offer, they will simply be unable to offer you a place.

I do agree there is no harm in this case in contacting the university and explaining how difficult it would be for you to get an A. This cannot result in your offer being withdrawn.

Did you apply to other courses, and do you have other, lower offers? If so, you would probably be better off accepting one of them, or at least insuring one?
Phone them. They may well have set this higher grade requirement because you are doing A levels over three years - without actually realising that the grade they have set you is impossible with a single module retake.

But.... two important points :
1) where there are grade ranges (ie. 'Typical offers ABB-BBB') the lower grade set usually applies only to 'contextual' offers (for applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds). Therefore you may never have been eligible for the lower offer anyway.
2) Also being 'equivalent to' is often irrelevant - if the Uni wants a specific grade in a specific subject that is what they mean. It isnt like Ucas points where precise grades are unimportant so long as you hit the '280 points' (or whatever) threshold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending