The Student Room Group

What is your favourite sport to watch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liv1204
(...)
To watch - football and diving

Same here! football is my favourite sport to watch, but as written before Martial Arts is the one in which I particapate in most of all.
Reply 21
Show jumping although dressage is a close second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I can't stand the attitude that it is odd to select a sport other than football :mad:

There is nothing intrinsically wonderful about football, it just happens to be popular because it is easy to play with limited equipment and it spread around the globe at the right time.

Generally people are passionate about the sports they grew up with. It may not seem like it in Dagenham or Merseyside but many people find football frustrating to watch and not particularly rewarding. Equally many people love it, good for them.

Is football the world's most popular sport? Of course. But it is not as popular as some believe. In Asia where 2/3 of humanity live, hard as it may be for football zealouts to accept, other sports are just as popular. Not just Cricket but Basketball and Baseball as well.

Of the top 10 most populous nations, only two, Brazil and Nigeria, have a strong football culture. Of the world's 4 largest economies by PPP none have football as the most popular sport.
Reply 23
To play, cricket and squash
To watch, cricket, rugby and baseball

Used to play both rugby and baseball, but time commitments/injuries eventually caught up with me.
Reply 24
Cricket is so boring and awful, has to be football.
Reply 25
Original post by rascar
I can't stand the attitude that it is odd to select a sport other than football :mad:

There is nothing intrinsically wonderful about football, it just happens to be popular because it is easy to play with limited equipment and it spread around the globe at the right time.

Generally people are passionate about the sports they grew up with. It may not seem like it in Dagenham or Merseyside but many people find football frustrating to watch and not particularly rewarding. Equally many people love it, good for them.

Is football the world's most popular sport? Of course. But it is not as popular as some believe. In Asia where 2/3 of humanity live, hard as it may be for football zealouts to accept, other sports are just as popular. Not just Cricket but Basketball and Baseball as well.

Of the top 10 most populous nations, only two, Brazil and Nigeria, have a strong football culture. Of the world's 4 largest economies by PPP none have football as the most popular sport.

Football can occasionally be quite aesthetically pleasing at the very highest level, but by god it can also be really dull. I've seen too many 0-0s over the years. Make the goals bigger ffs.
Reply 26
Original post by cole-slaw
Football can occasionally be quite aesthetically pleasing at the very highest level, but by god it can also be really dull. I've seen too many 0-0s over the years. Make the goals bigger ffs.

This is what I mean. It can be beautiful, it can be pretty dire to watch, like any other sport.
In a soccer match where 0 or 1 or 2 goals are scored there is so little cathartic release, almost every period of play leads up to frustration rather than advancement. Perhaps this is why the sport has so often appealed to angry young men, or perhaps watching the sport makes them angry? 89 minutes of swearing and snarling in frustration and 1 minute of vicarious joy.
Reply 27
Original post by rascar
This is what I mean. It can be beautiful, it can be pretty dire to watch, like any other sport.
In a soccer match where 0 or 1 or 2 goals are scored there is so little cathartic release, almost every period of play leads up to frustration rather than advancement. Perhaps this is why the sport has so often appealed to angry young men, or perhaps watching the sport makes them angry? 89 minutes of swearing and snarling in frustration and 1 minute of vicarious joy.

I genuinely don't understand why rugby isn't the world's number one spectator sport. It has everything you could want, physicality, skill, pace, intensity, drama, tradition. The average game is so much more exciting than football.

I love cricket, but I can understand why some people don't get it. But rugby... what is there not to get?
Reply 28
Original post by cole-slaw
I genuinely don't understand why rugby isn't the world's number one spectator sport. It has everything you could want, physicality, skill, pace, intensity, drama, tradition. The average game is so much more exciting than football.

Two words: Scrum collapses. (semi serious here!)

Seriously though, a bad game of rugby can be pretty poor, and rely too much on penalties. Also if you don't appreciate the nuances it can just look like 15 people taking turns to run into each other.

I say all of this as a big rugby fan.
Other - horse riding and netball (I do enjoy watching football although I'm shocking at playing it myself :redface:)
Reply 30
Athletics for me - I do it :tongue:

F1 and football are also sports I enjoy watching though.
Football

I enjoy watching and participating in it.
Original post by Liv1204
To participate in - kickboxing
To watch - football and diving

Barcelona and Real Madrid would be proud of you.
Reply 33
Original post by kidomo
Barcelona and Real Madrid would be proud of you.

Haha. :biggrin:
Reply 34
Skiing to watch and do I also like the F1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Other Free-Running
Reply 37
Darts, then snooker, then football. Then I have a very slight interest in tennis and cricket.
Reply 38
To play: Squash, Cricket and Football (being a rightback is easy work against the Ronaldo wannabes)

To watch: Football, Boxing and Tennis.

But I chose squash because it is an underrated sport and quite fun
Reply 39
football football football football

Although I do have time for most other sports, except rugby, namely F1, tennis, badminton, athletics, martial arts and I want to say the WWE for the purposes of this I'll disregard it as a sport :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest