The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sheryl06
Just because you get A's in your A-levels doesn't mean you will have good customer service skills or would be good doing that job. Maybe you could ask your mum to tell you specifically what you need to work on and what makes you worse than any of the other employees or alternatively get a different job. Although I know that that is easier said than done.

Exactly, being academically bright doesn't even relate to being socially bright or having good general knowledge (outside of your subjects) - no offence to you OP - just a general finding of mine.

Remember on THE APPRENTICE that girl Alexa who was a maths or economics graduate from Cambridge - during one of the tasks she was under so much pressure she couldn't even add up money properly - some people are just... soft :smile:

(just checked and it was economics - which is ironic - LOL)
It's always going to be difficult mixing work and family. My mum was gonna get me a job with her for the Summer but from past experiences (at my last job my direct boss was the overalls boss' daughter) I said I'd pass.

If you are a little bit slower that's nothing to be ashamed of, and maybe your mum just didn't want to hurt your feelings. If the only reason you have the job is because of your mum (I don't know if it is or not) they might resent you apparently not being up to the job but being kept on nonetheless.

Take the criticism as a chance to ask for some help on where you're going wrong and get on with it.
Reply 42
unfinished sympathy
look if you read my previous post, you'll see that i'm the same, brighter more intelligent etc than fellow work employees but you can't do the job as well as them. some people are made that way! others can adapt- i can't tedious jobs and me never work, but that's me. it sounds as though you're the same! look you're not missing out on much though are you! Sandwiches are all well and good but degrees have a lot more prestige in the real world :smile:

Nice words of comfort but how can you be so sure you're more intelligent then your peers?

Is it because they work in a sandwich bar full/part time and you only work there as a student for the extra dosh and so you automatically assume they are of low intelligence compared to you?

Sorry, wasn't going to give it a mention but after you made that point twice in a row, I felt the urge to ask. :smile:
Reply 43
Good Will Hunting eh? :smile:
Michelle12
Nice words of comfort but how can you be so sure you're more intelligent then your peers?

Is it because they work in a sandwich bar full/part time and you only work there as a student for the extra dosh and so you automatically assume they are of low intelligence compared to you?

Sorry, wasn't going to give it a mention but after you made that point twice in a row, I felt the urge to ask. :smile:

well they werent einsteins! but on the other hand neither am i. I know however that in a group those who are intelligent and those who arent, maybe its just me- but whn a group of people can only talk about tv, or some other cr*p and do not realise that there is more to life than getting drunk- i tend to think that my philosophical way of thinking outsmaarts their dumbass way, and its obvious that i have been educated and they havent...
Reply 45
Yeh, Agreed ^^^

It is blatantly obvious in a group of people to see the intelligent ones, usually by just looking at them but failing that talking to them. Thats life, what do you think employers do when they interview you? They are judging (among other things) your intelligence.

Graham
gbduo
Yeh, Agreed ^^^

It is blatantly obvious in a group of people to see the intelligent ones, usually by just looking at them but failing that talking to them. Thats life, what do you think employers do when they interview you? They are judging (among other things) your intelligence.

Graham

exactly- thanks graham. i wasnt being bitchy or anything inmy comments, sometimes its just plain to see that other people arent as well read or intelligent as you for example
at least you have a job. i keep getting knocked back. :mad:
Laugh at your mum for being at the bottom of the social ladder by working in retail.
Anonymous
Laugh at your mum for being at the bottom of the social ladder by working in retail.

now thats just cruel :biggrin:
sandwiches!! i havent read the whole thing but !!! who gives a flying **** wen ur done with uni ul be able to pay someone to make ur sandwiches for you...you could even do that now :p: Newton used to forget to eat for days on end, he wasnt thick or useless. neither are you. get over ur sandwich deficiency no1 is perfect and now uve found ur imperfection :biggrin: lol enjoy uni :p:
Reply 51
unfinished sympathy
well they werent einsteins! but on the other hand neither am i. I know however that in a group those who are intelligent and those who arent, maybe its just me- but whn a group of people can only talk about tv, or some other cr*p and do not realise that there is more to life than getting drunk- i tend to think that my philosophical way of thinking outsmaarts their dumbass way, and its obvious that i have been educated and they havent...

The difference being education not intelligence. :rolleyes:
samba
The difference being education not intelligence. :rolleyes:

intelligence grows through education..

these kids have neither been educated not are intelligent. I know. It's easy to see IMO!
I'm working as a Health Care Assistant in a hospital this summer. I've only had three shifts so far, but I feel totally useless :biggrin: As you can see from my sig, my offers show I'm not thick (I think :wink:), but it's taking me more than a couple of goes to learn how to make up a bed properly! I am rubbish at art/cooking, all the practical things, give me a nice book any day :smile: But this job requires me to exercise my other intelligences e.g. social, emotional, as the job is so much about people. I also think it's good to have some jobs "at the bottom," so you can have more empathy with people who do that kind of job 24/7.

I read the classic self-help book by Dale Carnegie :biggrin: and one tip of his which could apply to this situation is to be interested and try your best at everything, because people will remember it.

OP, maybe try and get your mum alone, when your dad's not in the house or something, and instead of confronting her (because you've done that already) say that you're really interested in improving. It sounds like the only thing to do with a mother like yours is go for the "prove her wrong" tactic. Besides, you'll only be sandwich-making for a couple more months :biggrin: Get a different jobs next holiday!
Reply 54
I would suggest registering with a temp agency to do some office work. It is less likely to require hand eye co-ordination, is not customer facing, and will give you a better look at how different businesses and organisations work than working in just 1 sandwich shop. And also you wont be the boss´s daughter/son. I would hate that.
Reply 55
unfinished sympathy
intelligence grows through education..

these kids have neither been educated not are intelligent. I know. It's easy to see IMO!

but cmon, at work you dont want intelligent discussion 100% of the time. I like to talk about football, girls, boobs, etc with guys who many may perceive as "less intelligent as myself." It doesnt make them any less fun or less interesting!
I was rubbish at anything practical at school, but you do eventually learn given enough time! I now do my own DIY, fix my car, etc. Mostly because I have gained a lot of confidence in my practical ability during my PhD - if you can fiddle about with a £200,000 piece of kit without breaking it then you can put up some shelves or change the air filter on your car.

My advice is to not make such a big issue over it, it has been said and you have responded. Just try your best in your work and make sure your mum knows that you would appreciate her constructive criticism in future. After all you aren't going to be a "sandwich artiste" for the rest of your life.

Latest

Trending

Trending