The Student Room Group

Doing well on the LPC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Hey, thanks for this, it's really useful - would you mind if I asked a couple of further questions?

I'm due to start the (standard-length) LPC at BPP in september and I need a commendation with no retakes to meet my TC requirements. How difficult do you reckon it is to achieve that, relative to studying law at a RG university? I'm sure the LPC is qualitatively very different to studying academic law, but it's the only real yardstick I have...

How many lever arches of info did you end up accumulating overall?

Cheers!

I'm not suffocation1992 but I'm not sure how active he is these days. I'll drop you a PM later next week with more detail, but in brief, about 8 lever arches (one per subject), and it's easier conceptually but a different style of exam. Takes a while to adjust.

Any specific questions, let me know. :smile:
Original post by Blackacre
I'm not suffocation1992 but I'm not sure how active he is these days. I'll drop you a PM later next week with more detail, but in brief, about 8 lever arches (one per subject), and it's easier conceptually but a different style of exam. Takes a while to adjust.

Any specific questions, let me know. :smile:

Thanks very much! Look forward to the PM.
As others have said, organisation is key. Make sure that you only have necessary paper in your folders (i.e. do you need the sheet with the questions on, when the points to note also say the questions and the answers?!) and tab it all up so that as soon as you identify the subject matter you can flick quickly to the right section and crack on with the question.

Also, make life easy in the exams by preparing checklists, example answers etc. For example, for Business Law and Practice have a complete board minutes draft with blanks to fill in and optional sections to add in depending on the type of resolution that is necessary etc. That will make it a breeze and stop you wasting valuable time actually having to think about what to put in or how to word it, as you can just lift the necessary parts from the templates etc.

The electives are not quite as straightforward with templates (although still do as many as you can!) as they seem to ask the odd weird question in the exams that don't follow the template/points to note type questions, but the marking seems to be more lenient to make up for that.

Make the most of the mock exams, take on the feedback and develop your technique accordingly. Often that's what it's about - technique rather than understanding. Equally, don't be afraid to ask questions or get advice from the tutors, they are all really lovely and want to help and see you do well.

As long as you put in the work by doing the i-tutorials and preparation tasks and i'm sure you'll do fine. I've just finished the LPC and UofL in Bham and when I started I expected to struggle but honestly it was great!
Guys, if you already have a TC, try not to stress about the LPC. Trust me when I say that, as long as you achieve the grade your firm specifies (usually just a pass of commendation), any extra effort is wasting your time.
Original post by TurboCretin
Hey, thanks for this, it's really useful - would you mind if I asked a couple of further questions?

I'm due to start the (standard-length) LPC at BPP in september and I need a commendation with no retakes to meet my TC requirements. How difficult do you reckon it is to achieve that, relative to studying law at a RG university? I'm sure the LPC is qualitatively very different to studying academic law, but it's the only real yardstick I have...

How many lever arches of info did you end up accumulating overall?

Cheers!

I imagine that achieving a commendation with no retakes on the standard LPC is very do-able. A lot of my friends have recently just completed the normal LPC and did very well. I managed to get a commendation on the accelerated one despite taking a bare minimum approach for Stage 2. Also BPP spoon feed you to a ridiculous extent that by the time you sit the exams, nothing is really a surprise in the paper. You'll have seen VERY similar questions in either past papers or in SGS activities (which you are encouraged to revisit as part of revision (or 'consolidation' as BPP love to call it :rolleyes:).

Umm overall... when I moved out of my last house I think I counted 12 level arch files and then about 10 small files (I used smaller ones for the skills part of the LPC) from both Stage 1 and 2. There's a fair bit of paper but all manageable I wouldn't worry.
Hello! I see this thread is quite old but nonetheless was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm due to start the LPC at the University of Law in January (7 months) and was hoping that somebody might be able to give me an idea of the timetable - are there classes every day? Can I choose when I go to classes? Will it be possible to avoid Friday afternoon and Monday morning classes? Or if you miss a class are materials available online? I am going to have to be away a lot at the weekends and am hoping I will be able to avoid travelling on Friday and Sunday evenings as these times are particularly expensive and crowded. Thank you so much :smile:
Ask them for their time table, they are sure to have it.

I did GDL at U of L rather than LPC - my advice is, think twice before you miss anything on an accellerated (cant spell) course. The LPC isn't difficult per se but there is a lot of it and it is pretty easy to stuff up (even though it's not actually that difficult) - so it is very likely you will find the 7 month version quite intense - the U of L probably does a lecture/tutorial format for its LPC (as it does for its GDL) The Lecture introduces the subject and the tutorial is where you actually learn about it. The tutorial is more important.

So that probably didn't help but in a nutshell, don't miss any tutorial - lectures I think are easier to get away with missing, as they introduce the material, which you then read all about anyway. But don't miss a tutorial - that is where you get to understand what will be in the exams!!

There is a lot of info on line at the UoL but you won't get a lot of time, don't get behind

Original post by LooseMoose
Hello! I see this thread is quite old but nonetheless was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm due to start the LPC at the University of Law in January (7 months) and was hoping that somebody might be able to give me an idea of the timetable - are there classes every day? Can I choose when I go to classes? Will it be possible to avoid Friday afternoon and Monday morning classes? Or if you miss a class are materials available online? I am going to have to be away a lot at the weekends and am hoping I will be able to avoid travelling on Friday and Sunday evenings as these times are particularly expensive and crowded. Thank you so much :smile:

Original post by happyinthehaze
Ask them for their time table, they are sure to have it.

I did GDL at U of L rather than LPC - my advice is, think twice before you miss anything on an accellerated (cant spell) course. The LPC isn't difficult per se but there is a lot of it and it is pretty easy to stuff up (even though it's not actually that difficult) - so it is very likely you will find the 7 month version quite intense - the U of L probably does a lecture/tutorial format for its LPC (as it does for its GDL) The Lecture introduces the subject and the tutorial is where you actually learn about it. The tutorial is more important.

So that probably didn't help but in a nutshell, don't miss any tutorial - lectures I think are easier to get away with missing, as they introduce the material, which you then read all about anyway. But don't miss a tutorial - that is where you get to understand what will be in the exams!!

There is a lot of info on line at the UoL but you won't get a lot of time, don't get behind
Reply 28
Hi, i am planning on doing the LPC full time whilst working part time. I am apprehensive about the course as everyone is saying its not manageable with working! Please could someone give me good tips as to how to make the most of my time and whether its achievable
Reply 29
Original post by KM18
Hi, i am planning on doing the LPC full time whilst working part time. I am apprehensive about the course as everyone is saying its not manageable with working! Please could someone give me good tips as to how to make the most of my time and whether its achievable

I think your time management will need to be absolutely spot on from day one. I did the GDL full time with a part time job alongside. I had to stop working to get through the LPC, the work takes quite some time. The revision is arduous too as it is all application of knowledge. Some people get through it by learning the answers almost by rote, and you can, but you should really be practicing questions and there's plenty of them to do.

If you have a job at weekends and are attending for two or three days each week, you could do it, but don't expect to have much of a life throughout the course - you have roughly five tutorials (SGSs) to prepare for, each taking three hours, each week - in the first semester, then straight into skills, then straight into your optional modules. It's intense but do-able.

Some firms that you might apply to for training contracts require commendations in all modules, or just that you pass everything first time around. If you're not sure you could do that while working alongside, think carefully before doing it.

You could always study part time over two years I suppose, but beware of the extra cost.
Original post by Mimir
I think your time management will need to be absolutely spot on from day one. I did the GDL full time with a part time job alongside. I had to stop working to get through the LPC, the work takes quite some time. The revision is arduous too as it is all application of knowledge. Some people get through it by learning the answers almost by rote, and you can, but you should really be practicing questions and there's plenty of them to do.

If you have a job at weekends and are attending for two or three days each week, you could do it, but don't expect to have much of a life throughout the course - you have roughly five tutorials (SGSs) to prepare for, each taking three hours, each week - in the first semester, then straight into skills, then straight into your optional modules. It's intense but do-able.

Some firms that you might apply to for training contracts require commendations in all modules, or just that you pass everything first time around. If you're not sure you could do that while working alongside, think carefully before doing it.

You could always study part time over two years I suppose, but beware of the extra cost.

Hi ,

I will be starting my LPC this September at BPP and would like to know is achieving a distinction throughout all the modules do-able?

Do you have any tips on what to do to get a distinction? Also is the stage 1 modules easy or hard?
Reply 31
Original post by Jane Souza
Hi ,

I will be starting my LPC this September at BPP and would like to know is achieving a distinction throughout all the modules do-able?

Do you have any tips on what to do to get a distinction? Also is the stage 1 modules easy or hard?

I attended the UoL (albeit it was still the CoL) to do the LPC during 2013/14. From what I recall, I worked 2 days a week whilst doing the course and managed just fine (finished with lowish to middle distinction).

Just make sure you complete the prep work and try and get your hands on a copy of the LPC guru notes - they are very helpful and time saving.
Anyone selling their LPC books?
Hi, thanks for u advice I’m looking to make more mocks where can I find or buy Would be greatful if u can recommend a website or tutor who offer mocks to practice Thank u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending