The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Nursing Accommodation at Stirling

Hey guys, has anybody looked into the accommodation situation for nursing courses.

Since we start two weeks prior to other courses we need 39 week contracts and the only place that does that is the Union Street Development.

So if we wanted to live on campus we would need to find somewhere else for the first two weeks, just wondering what other people were planning on doing.

Reply 1
Hello

I phoned the university the other day and spoke to accommodation staff. What they said was this:

We do not need to be in union street if we really do not want to but:

1. we will not get it for the 2 weeks early
2. We will not be with other nursing students

Not being with other nursing students is hard as house mates are going to be partying and going out more often. This one of very few courses where it is very hard and busy from first year to the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
So where do we stay if we don't want to stay at union street?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AllyxlynnUS
So where do we stay if we don't want to stay at union street?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can stay where you want. However you will not get it early or be with Nursing students. Just imagine getting up for a 7am placement shift with other flatmates drinking.

Nursing first year is a really tough and full on year. You would be with people who have very light easy first years.

Just something to think of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi everyone!

Talking of accommodation for nursing students, does anyone know when we would be looking to apply for places in the flats wether its Union Street or others?

I haven't actually heard too much from the uni after receiving my offer through UCAS.
I'm in Union Street at the minute and really didn't want to be off campus when I applied, but I couldn't imagine being on campus now. It's great being with all the other nurses because you're all in the same boat.

Students on other courses get much longer holidays so you'd be alone for quite a few weeks over Christmas and summer. Also, living on campus you would have to get a taxi to the bus/train station and then your public transport to placement if you're on an early shift whereas you can walk into town from Union Street. Plus Tesco is just round the corner and you won't have to pay for taxis to get back from nights out.

Just a few things to consider :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Charlotte49
I'm in Union Street at the minute and really didn't want to be off campus when I applied, but I couldn't imagine being on campus now. It's great being with all the other nurses because you're all in the same boat.

Students on other courses get much longer holidays so you'd be alone for quite a few weeks over Christmas and summer. Also, living on campus you would have to get a taxi to the bus/train station and then your public transport to placement if you're on an early shift whereas you can walk into town from Union Street. Plus Tesco is just round the corner and you won't have to pay for taxis to get back from nights out.

Just a few things to consider :smile:

I have a conditional to study Nursing at Stirling and have made it my firm choice. You mentioned holidays, don't suppose you could tell me what the holidays are for Nursing students as i'm confused by it all? Haha. Thanks!
Reply 7
Student nurse holidays from what I have heard are:

2 weeks at Christmas

1 Week at Easter

4 weeks at summer

No more at all ever
Original post by scam1104
I have a conditional to study Nursing at Stirling and have made it my firm choice. You mentioned holidays, don't suppose you could tell me what the holidays are for Nursing students as i'm confused by it all? Haha. Thanks!

We get two weeks of annual leave at Christmas, two at Easter and three over the summer. You usually have an essay or exam to revise for during the holidays though. If you're on placement before annual leave you can usually work your shifts at the beginning of the week to get away a few days earlier.
Reply 9
Okay thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest