The Student Room Group

Starting Uni in September 2014 thread

Scroll to see replies

Unconditional starting Viking Studies at UCL. A little bit scared but super excited about moving to London :dance:.

I'm also kinda worried that as my course is really small (5 people-ish) I'll end up not liking/not be liked by anyone else on it :s:

But I'm mostly just super excited! :laugh:

Good luck to everyone who's got conditional offers! :smile:
I've got a conditional offer of AAA to study Natural Sciences at University of East Anglia so I'm very nervous! But the thought that I actually have to somehow get those grades for uni is my motivation to revise and continue to work even when inside I feel like im degrading into nothing hahaha!

I am so excited for uni- it feels as though that's when my life will be begin? :P
Reply 182
Original post by Bedo
Hi, I have firmed Gloucestershire and will be staying on Park campus to study Multimedia web design.

Anyone who is going to Glos and would like to get to know each other before September, give me a PM :smile:

Ive also got an offer for web design at Gloucestershire, so nervous but cant wait:smile:
Reply 183
Business Information Systems at De Montfort University! If I get the grades:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Any international student going to uni of Kent/King's Collge,London or SOAS,London here? :smile:
Reply 185
Heading to Edinburgh to study law :biggrin: Really excited and can't wait, the course and location looks brilliant and I am happy with my choice.
Anyone else heading to Edinburgh?
Original post by Ambry
Heading to Edinburgh to study law :biggrin: Really excited and can't wait, the course and location looks brilliant and I am happy with my choice.
Anyone else heading to Edinburgh?

Banter Burgh :yep: I am so happy I've chosen Edinburgh. I initially feared I would regret firming Edinburgh the moment I'd done it but I know I've made the right decision. :biggrin: I just want to fast forward the part where we have to sit exams and go straight to Freshers Week.
Reply 187
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Banter Burgh :yep: I am so happy I've chosen Edinburgh. I initially feared I would regret firming Edinburgh the moment I'd done it but I know I've made the right decision. :biggrin: I just want to fast forward the part where we have to sit exams and go straight to Freshers Week.

I feel exactly the same as you! Weirdly I knew I wanted to go to Edinburgh for about a year or two years, then when I got my offer I was like 'oh god should I firm it?' ... But I think it is going to be the best decision of my life! I cannot wait until freshers week, I have a countdown on my phone :biggrin:
Original post by Ambry
I feel exactly the same as you! Weirdly I knew I wanted to go to Edinburgh for about a year or two years, then when I got my offer I was like 'oh god should I firm it?' ... But I think it is going to be the best decision of my life! I cannot wait until freshers week, I have a countdown on my phone :biggrin:

It's strange because I initially felt I was much more of a St Andrews gal after visiting Edinburgh university for the first time last September, however, I went down again in April and fell in love with it. <3 Plus, St Andrews seemed too small. Not to mention the city itself is fabulous. Oh yeah, I actually feel like dancing with excitement at the thought of freshers. Just these next few months to get through first - and I have to go back to school on the 2nd of June. :redface: When's your first exam? Mine is on the 7th - History.
Reply 189
It's strange because I initially felt I was much more of a St Andrews gal after visiting Edinburgh university for the first time last September, however, I went down again in April and fell in love with it. <3 Plus, St Andrews seemed too small. Not to mention the city itself is fabulous. Oh yeah, I actually feel like dancing with excitement at the thought of freshers. Just these next few months to get through first - and I have to go back to school on the 2nd of June. :redface: When's your first exam? Mine is on the 7th - History.

I think St Andrews and Edinburgh would have such a different student life, but I think I like Edinburgh more as a city location that is not too huge like London but it still has loads of culture and things to do. I loved the university campus area and how close a lot of the halls were too :biggrin: I will drag myself through these months.
I have AH English on the 1st of May! I really need to kick myself into gear! Once that is done though a lot of the stress will be gone.
Original post by Ambry
I think St Andrews and Edinburgh would have such a different student life, but I think I like Edinburgh more as a city location that is not too huge like London but it still has loads of culture and things to do. I loved the university campus area and how close a lot of the halls were too :biggrin: I will drag myself through these months.
I have AH English on the 1st of May! I really need to kick myself into gear! Once that is done though a lot of the stress will be gone.

That was my reasoning too. Also, despite the fact that I liked UCL, I think I would find living in London rather overwhelming. I like the fact that Edinburgh is so jam-packed with culture, etc without being a huge sprawling metropolis. Also, I could never justify the fees/living expenses for London. :tongue: Have you applied for accommodation yet? I'm definitely going for catered, but I haven't yet applied.
Ugh, same with history. I'm not too worried about French and German, but there's so much to know for history and the essay questions seem rather unpredictable. However, the dissertation does take the pressure off slightly since the exam only makes up 60% of your final grade then. Even though I'm aware nothing rests on these exams, it's more a matter of personal satisfaction. :tongue:
Reply 191
That was my reasoning too. Also, despite the fact that I liked UCL, I think I would find living in London rather overwhelming. I like the fact that Edinburgh is so jam-packed with culture, etc without being a huge sprawling metropolis. Also, I could never justify the fees/living expenses for London. :tongue: Have you applied for accommodation yet? I'm definitely going for catered, but I haven't yet applied.
Ugh, same with history. I'm not too worried about French and German, but there's so much to know for history and the essay questions seem rather unpredictable. However, the dissertation does take the pressure off slightly since the exam only makes up 60% of your final grade then. Even though I'm aware nothing rests on these exams, it's more a matter of personal satisfaction. :tongue:

By the time I got an offer from UCL I had no intention of going there XD I feel pretty intimidated by London and I just do not feel comfortable throwing away the free university fees and also paying extortionate money for living in London.
I've applied for accommodation, going for self catered - I fancied being able to choose what I wanted to eat and stuff.

I'm so happy the dissertation part is done! Not sure how well I did but I'm just glad it is out of the way. I know what you mean - a lot of people said to me I should just drop some of my subjects this year because it is kind of pointless when I have an unconditional but then what would be the point of staying in school at all and throwing away months of study? Plus spending sixth year actually doing something productive might be handy if I am applying for a wee job or internship or something like that :biggrin:
Original post by Ambry
By the time I got an offer from UCL I had no intention of going there XD I feel pretty intimidated by London and I just do not feel comfortable throwing away the free university fees and also paying extortionate money for living in London.
I've applied for accommodation, going for self catered - I fancied being able to choose what I wanted to eat and stuff.

I'm so happy the dissertation part is done! Not sure how well I did but I'm just glad it is out of the way. I know what you mean - a lot of people said to me I should just drop some of my subjects this year because it is kind of pointless when I have an unconditional but then what would be the point of staying in school at all and throwing away months of study? Plus spending sixth year actually doing something productive might be handy if I am applying for a wee job or internship or something like that :biggrin:

I'm alarmingly incompetent when it comes to cooking, so I figured I'd rather spend my first year of uni safe in the knowledge that there'll be food (however questionable the quality) provided. :tongue:

Re dissertations, ughhh tell me about it. Overall, I'm pleased with my history one and the fact that I only have one which subject for which I had to write a dissertation made it bearable. Exactly - dropping a subject so close to the exam would be pointless. Might as well just get the exam over and done with. But still, it's nice to not have an insane amount of pressure on you to achieve this year. :biggrin: Speaking of jobs, I need to find a summer job to save up for uni. :tongue:
Reply 193
Hey,

I'm studying Psychology and Criminology at either Keele University or Coventry University- But I don't know which I will pick :smile:
Original post by Beth46
Hey,

I'm studying Psychology and Criminology at either Keele University or Coventry University- But I don't know which I will pick :smile:

planning ng to put Coventry Uni as my insurance but I don't know yet, I still have to look around during May half term! Did you go to the open days? What was it like? And the course?
Reply 195
Original post by Beth46
Hey,

Original post by alittlefallofrai
planning ng to put Coventry Uni as my insurance but I don't know yet, I still have to look around during May half term! Did you go to the open days? What was it like? And the course?

You have 3 days good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Qari
You have 3 days good luck :biggrin:

I have till the 5th June because Chester didn't reply till last week. -.- which is fine, I have more time to decide. :smile:
Reply 197
I have till the 5th June because Chester didn't reply till last week. -.- which is fine, I have more time to decide. :smile:

Then make that till 30th may student finance deadline is then
Original post by Qari
Then make that till 30th may student finance deadline is then

Ah yes! Nearly done my Student Finance. Just need to let them know I'm moving houses in two months time.. Such a pain.

thanks!
Reply 199
Ah yes! Nearly done my Student Finance. Just need to let them know I'm moving houses in two months time.. Such a pain.

thanks!

NP & don't you need to include what you uni?

Anyway good luck m8

So everyone who gets a late reply gets an extension?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending