The Student Room Group

I look young for my age and so people underestimate me, What do you think?

Yeah, so basically all my life I've had the advantage (and disadvantage) of looking young for my age. I'm 22 now but a lot of people think I'm about 20. I don't actually have a baby face, as I have a very strong jawline, but I'm just one of those naturally young looking people.

It has come to my attention in the last year that, because I look young for my age, often people underestimate me. They see me as being less experienced/more naïve/more easy to take advantage of (you get the picture) than I am.

There are times when I meet people when I get the feeling that, because I look young, they think they can somehow try and bull**** me/push me around, and are often surprised when I prove to them otherwise.

The advantage is that I find I can, in general, get away with a lot more, and that people in situations are more willing to help me because they don't see me so much as an 'adult', as it were.

I want to make it clear that I don't think that this happens all the time with every person I meet, but that I just see it as a general theme in my life.

Sound plausible? Does anyone else find the same thing? What do you think?
Reply 1
if you are so sure, why are you asking?
Reply 2
Same here but worse. I'm 20 and people assume I'm still in high school and like 16. When I interview people for the newspaper I write for, they ask me if it's an "assignment for school" and what grade I'm in >_>

It's kind of worth it because we'll look younger when we're older :P And I agree it's a lot easier to get away with mistakes when you look younger. Just continue surprising them when you prove yourself. People will assume you're older when you act confident, dress well and speak professionally.
Original post by chriscahill9
Yeah, so basically all my life I've had the advantage (and disadvantage) of looking young for my age. I'm 22 now but a lot of people think I'm about 20. I don't actually have a baby face, as I have a very strong jawline, but I'm just one of those naturally young looking people.

It has come to my attention in the last year that, because I look young for my age, often people underestimate me. They see me as being less experienced/more naïve/more easy to take advantage of (you get the picture) than I am.

There are times when I meet people when I get the feeling that, because I look young, they think they can somehow try and bull**** me/push me around/feel they know more than me, and are often surprised when I prove to them otherwise.

The advantage is that I find I can, in general, get away with a lot more, and that people in situations are more willing to help me because they don't see me so much as an 'adult', as it were.

I want to make it clear that I don't think that this happens all the time with every person I meet, but that I just see it as a general theme in my life.

What do you think, anyone else find the same thing?

Why is that in the mental health forum? Is it a problem for you?

Otherwise: Some people look way older, others way younger, others the right age. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. Nothing exciting.
I have the same issue. I am 21 years old but I look like a teenager.

All I will say is this: if people underestimate you and treat you as though you are naive and easy to take advantage of, then they are not worth associating with.
Reply 5
I'm 18 but get mistaken for a 14 year old :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have a similar problem advantage, except I can control it since I grow quite strong facial hair :tongue: . I grew a mini beard recently and finally achieved my life-long goal of buying alcohol without being ID'd. My facial structure is normal for a 23 year old male but my skin still looks like that of a teenagers. I've conjured up a few theories for it in my head.

But anyway, if you think you've got 'problems', think again.... My ex is 21 and still gets away with child bus tickets. A few months ago the bus driver assumed he was under 16 without my ex even explicitly asking for a child ticket. :s-smilie: Being a shorty probably helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Congrats man.
Reply 8
Original post by chriscahill9

There are times when I meet people when I get the feeling that, because I look young, they think they can somehow try and bull**** me/push me around, and are often surprised when I prove to them otherwise.

Sound plausible? Does anyone else find the same thing? What do you think?

I'd go by your maturity rather than how young you look. I know many people who look very mature but don't know their arse from their elbow so in my opinion it goes by your maturity and how you hold yourself in situations rather than your baby face. I look my age but often feel like people think I'm stupid because I come across "naive" when I'm probably more clued up than most so I can relate to you when it comes to people underestimating you.. I'd find it amusing when you prove them otherwise though :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Mel1215
I'd go by your maturity rather than how young you look. I know many people who look very mature but don't know their arse from their elbow so in my opinion it goes by your maturity and how you hold yourself in situations rather than your baby face. I look my age but often feel like people think I'm stupid because I come across "naive" when I'm probably more clued up than most so I can relate to you when it comes to people underestimating you.. I'd find it amusing when you prove them otherwise though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending