The Student Room Group

Guys: is this flirting?

Recently my friends have been saying things like 'if he's being mean then he likes you' or 'if he's teasing you then he likes you'.

The two common ways of flirting i've heard/read are 1) when the guy is being really kind and gives compliments and willing to do anything for the girl, and 2) when he teases her and winds her up.

Is this true?
I think it's obvious, but i also don't believe this. My guy friends wind me up because they find it funny, not because they fancy me.

Do you find it fun to wind up your crush/girlfriend compared to girl friends?

I don't know, i've been thinking about this for a while and i don't buy it :/
Reply 1
How do you know your guy friends don't fancy you?
Reply 2
Original post by Dongzilla
How do you know your guy friends don't fancy you?

One has a long term girlfriend who he loves a lot. Another teased me all the time but that was a few years ago so i was very unattractive at the time. And the others.. out of my league.
And one was my bully (which is why my friend said that 'maybe he was being mean because he secretly liked you' which i think is pathetic).
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
One has a long term girlfriend who he loves a lot. Another teased me all the time but that was a few years ago so i was very unattractive at the time. And the others.. out of my league.
And one was my bully (which is why my friend said that 'maybe he was being mean because he secretly liked you' which i think is pathetic).

Fair enough. I think people react in different ways towards their crush and for some people being mean is the way they go about it.
Reply 4
Recently my friends have been saying things like 'if he's being mean then he likes you' or 'if he's teasing you then he likes you'.

The two common ways of flirting i've heard/read are 1) when the guy is being really kind and gives compliments and willing to do anything for the girl, and 2) when he teases her and winds her up.

Is this true?
I think it's obvious, but i also don't believe this. My guy friends wind me up because they find it funny, not because they fancy me.

1) is not flirting, its being lame and pathetic.
2) is a bit like flirting, but without the sexual tension.
Reply 5
Original post by cole-slaw
1) is not flirting, its being lame and pathetic.

So is there a difference between flirting and just doing it for fun/amusement?
Reply 6

Is this true?

When we were younger yes, from what i've seen and done myself, if a guy is being abnormally cheeky, then he's flirting, if he is willing to do things which a guy wouldn't normally do (like volunteer to goes shoe shopping) big hint he likes said girl, i wuld class myself as (now) a natural flirt and really cheeky, so that's what i do when flirting (play to your strengths right), every guy has a different approach, much like ever girl does
Reply 7
Teasing is a form of showing you like a girl when you haven't grown up from your childhood days.
Most annoying thing ever, two guys I know are like this and I don't think it's a coincidence they're still the most clingy guys even though I point blank rejected them..

As for your friends, it's probably just friendly. ie, it can be either because they like you, or are just being good friends (like a lot of my friends tease each other, and it's not annoying usually and innocent)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Jesus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really will never understand things like this. So I decide to be nice to a girl, therefore I'm flirting. I decide to be mean and disrespectful, therefore I'm flirting.

Just stupid rule after stupid rule lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it applies to your situation, but from my experience, I think some guys do tend to tease/wind up a girl that they like.
Original post by cole-slaw

What would you say is the difference between 2) and "proper" flirting? Except for maybe "winds her up", 2) seems pretty much spot-on. The other kind is not really flirting but it is the path most walked.
Not as much teasing, but ye slight winding up/banter is always a good way to flirt indirectly which I would use.
Harsh truth OP is that if your attractive then they are probably flirting, if not so much attractive then less likely flirting but still possible
Reply 14
Original post by Horny Cabbage
Harsh truth OP is that if your attractive then they are probably flirting, if not so much attractive then less likely flirting but still possible

I don't consider myself attractive whereas my friends are all good looking or above, so although that would be nice i don't think it is a possibility. Where does the line cross between friendship and crushes then?
Reply 15
Original post by Big-Daddy
What would you say is the difference between 2) and "proper" flirting? Except for maybe "winds her up", 2) seems pretty much spot-on. The other kind is not really flirting but it is the path most walked.

Flirting tends to incorporate sexual remarks/innuendos, teasing, subtle complements.

Its one of those things you know it when you see it but its hard to explain. There's certainly more to it than just taking the piss out of someone like you might do with your mates.
Reply 16
I don't really think so, I would usually try to wind up all of my girl friends, I think it's because they over-react and get stressed easily.
Reply 17

Is this true?

Are you 12? If so, then yes.

If not, then you need to find some way of bringing your friends up to speed on maturity real fast. That just doesn't fly past high school.
I don't consider myself attractive whereas my friends are all good looking or above, so although that would be nice i don't think it is a possibility. Where does the line cross between friendship and crushes then?

The line crosses when they find you attractive or they want to have sex with you (not the same as attractive)

Is this true?

I like teasing Kyria, but I'll never tell her that I have a crush on her! That is unless she says she likes me first. She talked to me for the first time just last week and she's only been here for, like, two weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending