The Student Room Group

Bath for economics?

I'm from the outside of the UK and I would like to know if Bath is a good university for economics (sure it s not oxbridge)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In a word, yes.
I'm firming Bath BSc Economics. It's very good, but it's not the best. Have you considered the likes of LSE/Warwick? I'd say Bath was about equal with UCL.
I didn't like it when I went, and felt that they were trying to play a game a bit (they have entry grades of A*AA to make them look oxbridge/ UCL/LSE level, but said they drop it to AAA or sometimes AAB if you firm them).

I wouldn't say they're UCL/ LSE level, but they're close and are less particular grades wise.

If you're international it's more difficult, if you were in the UK I'd say you should go to Bath uni on an open day, as it's a REALLY small campus which I didn't like but know a lot of people who did!

hope this helps
Original post by leinad2012
I didn't like it when I went, and felt that they were trying to play a game a bit (they have entry grades of A*AA to make them look oxbridge/ UCL/LSE level, but said they drop it to AAA or sometimes AAB if you firm them).

I wouldn't say they're UCL/ LSE level, but they're close and are less particular grades wise.

If you're international it's more difficult, if you were in the UK I'd say you should go to Bath uni on an open day, as it's a REALLY small campus which I didn't like but know a lot of people who did!

hope this helps

Well, as far as I know they haven't done that for anyone this year.
I prefer showers when i'm doing economics.
Original post by Pro Crastination
Well, as far as I know they haven't done that for anyone this year.

I'm glad to hear it, although it would be on results day, they said to me that if I was considering UCL and LSE then to firm them because they're more lenient on results day :smile:
Bath is about UCL standard, just outside your Oxbridge/Warwick/LSE/Imperial, I'd say.
I'm glad to hear it, although it would be on results day, they said to me that if I was considering UCL and LSE then to firm them because they're more lenient on results day :smile:

Haha, if it is how you say it is then I'll be over the moon. On the Economics open day talk this year they stated that it's unlikely that if you miss out on the grades you'll get in.
Haha, if it is how you say it is then I'll be over the moon. On the Economics open day talk this year they stated that it's unlikely that if you miss out on the grades you'll get in.

Bazaar, I went there this year too and when I spoke to a lecturer he said they would :P
Bazaar, I went there this year too and when I spoke to a lecturer he said they would :P

Hm, that's odd. I'm not going to be banking on anything, though :3
I'm firming Bath BSc Economics. It's very good, but it's not the best. Have you considered the likes of LSE/Warwick? I'd say Bath was about equal with UCL.

I tried Warwick but I was rejected :frown: but i thought about dropping bath and tru ucl because i know someone who caught in and doesn t have better grades then I do...
Reply 12
Original post by I am not finite
I prefer showers when i'm doing economics.

Love a good joke, forget everyone else, I appreciated it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by MatildeAlmeida
I'm from the outside of the UK and I would like to know if Bath is a good university for economics (sure it s not oxbridge)

At the undergraduate level, there is a lot of muchness in all the courses. The content is broadly the same at most good universities, and also the career opportunities are more similar than students realise.

Bath is a great place, but small and more quiet than some universities.

What sort of atmosphere do you want when attending university?
Original post by .ACS.
At the undergraduate level, there is a lot of muchness in all the courses. The content is broadly the same at most good universities, and also the career opportunities are more similar than students realise.

Bath is a great place, but small and more quiet than some universities.

What sort of atmosphere do you want when attending university?

Peaceful but not boring and mostly where people would get along and not be overly competitive

hope this helps

Hi

I've made Bath my firm choice recently, and would be interested to know a bit more about the "entry requirements".

When you said they sometimes drop it to AAA or AAB (which would be absolutely fantastic), do you mean that they do it after results day?

let's say if someone firmed Bath but failed to achieve A*AA, would they still accept him?

Or do they lower the requirement much earlier on the UCAS system before exams even started?

Many thanks if you could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JeffTheMan
Hi

I've made Bath my firm choice recently, and would be interested to know a bit more about the "entry requirements".

When you said they sometimes drop it to AAA or AAB (which would be absolutely fantastic), do you mean that they do it after results day?

let's say if someone firmed Bath but failed to achieve A*AA, would they still accept him?

Or do they lower the requirement much earlier on the UCAS system before exams even started?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I'd like to second this question. I'd be bloody relieved if on results day Bath drop my offer to AAB!
Original post by JeffTheMan
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

HI, I'm not completely sure, as I didn't apply to Bath in the end.

I think what the admissions tutor was suggesting was that whilst they have the same entry grades on UCAS as LSE, UCL etc. that they are much more lenient come results day if you missed out by a grade, although I wouldn't take my word for it considering he told me this at an open day where the aim is to try to make you apply to their university.

The condition he said was that you had to firm them for them to consider (i.e. you couldn't firm another university with A*AA and put them as back up, as they wouldn't lower their entry requirement for insurance)

Hope this helps :colondollar:
Hm. What I've heard is that they cannot guarantee somebody who falls short by a grade a place, because they may have a huge number of people who firm with them and who go on to get the A*AA grades - which any sensible admissions tutor is going to say, because it is simply true. However, they also claimed that in recent years people falling a grade away from their offer are usually okay.

I suppose we'll all have to wait and see. I'm going to work really hard for this A*, I know I can get AAA, and I'm fairly confident that I can get that A* if my exam preparation is solid. It would be nice not to have to go into the exam thinking my entire future depends upon whether I can put a star on the end of my A, though. ^_^
I ended up firming bath for econ. and got in anyone else (leinad2012 pro crastination)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending