The Student Room Group

At Uni, do you do one module after another?

When you pick your modules at Uni, do you complete them and then go onto the next or do you have multiple ones every week, do you see different professors/tutors in the week or just the same one until you complete the module?
Reply 1
I have lectures and seminars for several different modules spaced throughout the week, in much the same way as you might have lessons for different subjects at school spread through the week. Pretty much everything works on this basis, unless you have to do a placement within the academic year (not a sandwich), or you are doing a dissertation at the end of a masters.

The only exception may be with some modules that count for less credit (typically 10 or 15 credits when other modules are 20 or 30) that may run for only one semester, with another module following in the subsequent semester.
At the end of the previous year/beginning of the current year you get to choose some modules, and some are compulsory as part of your course. It varies between courses/universities how many modules you will do, however you will study several modules at once and coursework/exams will probably be due around the same time. You don't do one module at a time then start the next when it's over. You'll be expected to manage your time appropriately to ensure all the work for each module is done on time (and prioritise which ones are more important as some may be worth more credits than others).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by baconwrappedeggs
When you pick your modules at Uni, do you complete them and then go onto the next or do you have multiple ones every week, do you see different professors/tutors in the week or just the same one until you complete the module?

you have multiple ones every week- between 3-5 at UEA, some only last a semester and others go on all year
Typically multiple modules a week - at my uni we have 2 teaching terms and (in my degree atleast) we have 4 different modules per term. Here optional modules are chosen at the end of the teaching year, I'm a second year and I've just chosen my third year modules today. I'm not sure about choosing optional modules for first year, presumably you choose around the time you register.
You can usually switch modules within the first couple of weeks of lectues too.
First year for me all modules were compulsory but now as I get ready to enter my second year I've had 1 compulsory module and I've picked 4 more modules to take on.

I presume for second year my modules will all be done simultaneously as it was done in first year as opposed to doing a few during semester one and the rest after. But some of my modules ended earlier than others as they were 100% coursework unlike some of the modules I've taken that have summer exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending