The Student Room Group

Girls, would you be ok with a part-time working husband?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker12345
Can I ask why this is? What if he wanted to do that - would you be happy to split it with him?

If there was a way to split it I would happily - but I wouldn't want to be the one to work full time and miss most of my baby's 'firsts' because I'm not there.
Reply 81
Original post by Mebeat
But is he able to get a better job? I mean is this all because of hiz laziness or just general fact that he CAN'T do better as he didn't go to uni etc

He isn't an academic person.

He did an apprentice many years ago at a car assembly plant then the plant closed and he did tyre fitting as it was something he could do very well.

He wants to go full time but his employer isn't giving it to him. He is by no means lazy.
Why does he need to support his wife - can't she support herself?

Yeah but in my culture, the husband is the breadwinner. The wife can earn money and do whatever she wishes but the responsibility of the husband is to provide for the family.
Original post by RosyPearl
Yeah but in my culture, the husband is the breadwinner. The wife can earn money and do whatever she wishes but the responsibility of the husband is to provide for the family.

Surprised to see someone with such a blatantly sexist attitude. Why on earth should your genitals dictate your position?
Original post by miser
Yeah. I don't really care much about money. The only reason I want money is so I can live without too much stress and do the things I want to do - I don't want luxuries or unnecessary things. At the moment I work a 37.5 hour work/week, with an extra 2 hours per weekday commuting. I value my free time a lot and if I could work less I would, but unfortunately there's no way I could adequately support myself and my girlfriend working part-time.

What do you do? How do you find the commute? 50 hour week if you include travelling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
I'd be ok with a part time working husband in the real world definition, not with the constraints that you've put on what "part time" means. Someone who works only enough to get by, even though they're perfectly capable of working more? doesn't make sense. Especially as people should have the option to save for emergencies, days out etc. and in general have ambitions past just getting by? It's ok for a time, but definitely not forever, else we'd probably just end up stuck without savings for a home, or children.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm never gonna work a 9-5. That commuting, 40hr week ****, would be a waste of my life.

So what will you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's how my parents do it and neither my mum nor I think any less of my dad for it.
Reply 88
Original post by Mr Student
What do you do? How do you find the commute? 50 hour week if you include travelling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work as a software engineer in the oil & gas industry. 37.5 hours per week, plus 10 hours commuting. I walk and get the train, so I spend about 30 minutes walking and about 25 minutes at the station/on the train. The trains are totally unreliable though (for example, last week I was an hour late into work in total) and it has rained a lot this winter. But it's healthy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mebeat
But is he able to get a better job? I mean is this all because of hiz laziness or just general fact that he CAN'T do better as he didn't go to uni etc

Perhaps not even a better job, a second part time one or a full time one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what will you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do I do, you mean? I'm a hustler baby.

I worked a bit and saved up money, moved to a country where my money buys more, and now I work freelance part time from home.

I'm not rich but I'm happy.
Original post by e aí rapaz
What do I do, you mean? I'm a hustler baby.

I worked a bit and saved up money, moved to a country where my money buys more, and now I work freelance part time from home.

I'm not rich but I'm happy.

Do you deal or pimp as a hustler? What is your job if you don't mind me asking and where is this mysterious country you now reside?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser
I work as a software engineer in the oil & gas industry. 37.5 hours per week, plus 10 hours commuting. I walk and get the train, so I spend about 30 minutes walking and about 25 minutes at the station/on the train. The trains are totally unreliable though (for example, last week I was an hour late into work in total) and it has rained a lot this winter. But it's healthy.

Sounds like a good job. Go you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you deal or pimp as a hustler? What is your job if you don't mind me asking and where is this mysterious country you now reside?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just hustle. I make money where I can, when I need it. I was raised that way. I don't believe in working a third of my life away to make more money for somebody else.

I live in Brazil. My freelance work - without wanting to give my life-story on a public forum - involves writing. Although I wouldn't call myself a writer.
Reply 94
Original post by Viva Emptiness
No, I don't want no scrubs.

Lmao lol lol lol lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised to see someone with such a blatantly sexist attitude. Why on earth should your genitals dictate your position?

It's not me, it's my culture, traditionally women are more suitable to be a home maker whilst the man is a wage earner. However, nowadays women can go out and work and earn their living. However, men have always been the breadwinner and this won't change, atleast in my culture. Also it's not unusual to find societies that are sexist towards a particular gender..I don't know why you're so surprised.
It's not me, it's my culture, traditionally women are more suitable to be a home maker whilst the man is a wage earner. However, nowadays women can go out and work and earn their living. However, men have always been the breadwinner and this won't change, atleast in my culture. Also it's not unusual to find societies that are sexist towards a particular gender..I don't know why you're so surprised.

It is you if you are following that culture. Even in western culture that was once the case but people have evolved. Yours was the first openly sexist post on this thread, hence my surprise at the contrast with others.
It is you if you are following that culture. Even in western culture that was once the case but people have evolved. Yours was the first openly sexist post on this thread, hence my surprise at the contrast with others.

What do you mean evolved? Uk is still a patriarchal society fyi,
I don't consider my post to be sexist anyway, men have always been the breadwinner and they're not complaining,
What do you mean evolved? Uk is still a patriarchal society fyi,
I don't consider my post to be sexist anyway, men have always been the breadwinner and they're not complaining,

Not to the extent if other countries, such as Saudi Arabia.
You don't consider it sexist to say a man should be a breadwinner rather than a woman just because of his gender?
Reply 99
It wouldnt bother me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest