The Student Room Group

Girls, would you be ok with a part-time working husband?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joker12345
Not to the extent if other countries, such as Saudi Arabia.
You don't consider it sexist to say a man should be a breadwinner rather than a woman just because of his gender?

lol! are you really comparing Uk to Saudi arabia now? No country is anywhere as bad as Saudi, their women aren't even allowed to drive fgs so don't compare Uk to a messed up backward country..

Not really, majority of the male population don't mind being a breadwinner, I haven't really heard of a man preferring to be a home maker instead? It's down to the individual I guess to each their own. If couples are fine with gender roles then I don't consider it sexist.
Not to the extent if other countries, such as Saudi Arabia.
You don't consider it sexist to say a man should be a breadwinner rather than a woman just because of his gender?

Why is it important if she has a choice and is also fine with it herself?
If he's earning enough to pay the bills, have a few comforts, and I was working part time as well, then actually for me it would be perfect. Currently I live with my partner, and he works full time while I work part time, and I hate it because I hardly spend any time with him any more, as his hours are all over the place, including night shifts.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Why is it important if she has a choice and is also fine with it herself?

Saying that men have to be the breadwinner, just because they're men is an innately sexist attitude. If it was a personal thing - I'd prefer to stay at home because I don't want to miss out with my child - then that would be fine.
Saying that men have to be the breadwinner, just because they're men is an innately sexist attitude. If it was a personal thing - I'd prefer to stay at home because I don't want to miss out with my child - then that would be fine.

Maybe it is sexist, but if everyone within that culture is OK with it, again, why is it important? Especially as she was saying that women do actually have the option to work if they want anyway.
Maybe it is sexist, but if everyone within that culture is OK with it, again, why is it important? Especially as she was saying that women do actually have the option to work if they want anyway.

So if people are okay with discrimination we should just accept it? People are brought up within that culture and are forced to accept it, and she is but many may not be okay with. The option is not equality.
EDIT: I just find it ridiculous that someone's genitals dictate their role, or their race or sexuality or anything for that matter. People should be looked upon as individuals.
(edited 10 years ago)
So if people are okay with discrimination we should just accept it? People are brought up within that culture and are forced to accept it, and she is but many may not be okay with. The option is not equality.
EDIT: I just find it ridiculous that someone's genitals dictate their role, or their race or sexuality or anything for that matter. People should be looked upon as individuals.

I'm all for re-education when there is a problem e.g. people are being hurt or are oppressed and crying out for help. These members of society are not, so who are we to tell them they are doing it wrong?

I agree with you that the role-giving is arbitrary and in my ideal world people should be able to do what they like (within reason), but not everyone thinks like that, and who's to say we're right? Unless people want help with their situation I'm not going to interfere.
I'm all for re-education when there is a problem e.g. people are being hurt or are oppressed and crying out for help. These members of society are not, so who are we to tell them they are doing it wrong?

I agree with you that the role-giving is arbitrary and in my ideal world people should be able to do what they like (within reason), but not everyone thinks like that, and who's to say we're right? Unless people want help with their situation I'm not going to interfere.

People may not know they're oppressed. Western example - a lot of girl think being groped in nightclubs is normal, some even think the same of people taking advantage if they are drunk. Should we not teach then it's sexual assault and you have a right to decide what happens to your own body?
Reply 108
If he genuinely is earning enough then fab. If hes constantly having to borrow money from me to help support lifes little extras (away from bills so social nights, dinner out etc) and just couldnt be bothered to work full time, then id have an issue.

In addition to that, if I were working full time but he only part time, id expect him to ise that extra free time to help around the house. I wouldnt be happy to come home to a stinking house and a pile of washing if hes done nothing all day.

And the same would be vice versa. If I only worked part time and he full time, of course id sort the house and dinner put while hes working.

It depends in what sort of luxuries could you afford, I wouldn't want to live by scraping the barrel when all he would need to do is take on a few extra hours work etc. So outgoings depend hugely on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
People may not know they're oppressed. Western example - a lot of girl think being groped in nightclubs is normal, some even think the same of people taking advantage if they are drunk. Should we not teach then it's sexual assault and you have a right to decide what happens to your own body?

Groping by drunk retards in clubs is oppression? Girls do it too, you know? Are those men oppressed by women? I've had ass slapping and other things done to me by women. Am I oppressed?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jamieTT
Groping by drunk retards in clubs is oppression? Girls do it too, you know? Are those men oppressed by women? I've had ass slapping and other things done to me by women. Am I oppressed?

LOL check this pansy out, you gotta enjoy any and all unwanted attention bro, cos you are a male. Do you understand? Dat patriarchy.
Reply 111
Original post by joey11223
LOL check this pansy out, you gotta enjoy any and all unwanted attention bro, cos you are a male. Do you understand? Dat patriarchy.

Dat oppression tho. :frown:
Original post by jamieTT
Dat oppression tho. :frown:

Lol bro y u lying? Ain't no oppression, men are masters women are slaves in the society of patriarchy, men cannot be oppressed bro. Yo women smacking u around bro? Lol grow some balls. Lol you got depression, struggling to cope, want support? lol grow some balls. You want to escape your partner and go to a shelter? Lol bro u weak, like no places for fail men like u.

Anyway to be serious and such. My girlfriend wouldn't be okay with it if she worked full time I don't think, at least not long term, but in fairness I probably wouldn't be. If she was working full time I'd want to and as sexist as it sounds, I do feel she'd be better at looking after kids than me, if one of us was to work part-time to save on massive child care costs, I'd rather she did and I think she'd feel the same.
Original post by jamieTT

It's sexual harassment and if someone persists after you make it clear you don't want it then it's very wrong.
Reply 114
It's sexual harassment and if someone persists after you make it clear you don't want it then it's very wrong.

Exactly. But it's not ''oppression''. It's just idiots acting accordingly and it doesn't apply exclusively to one sex. You want to see oppression, go to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. The politicians , courts and the welfare state bend over backwards to offer women every type of support, rights and opportunities in the West and many times much more than that.
Reply 115
Sounds good to me, especially in the children scenario as men should spend as much time with the children as the mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest