The Student Room Group

Best way to revise

Sounds like a really stupid question but...
have GCSE's in less than a month and over the past 2 days have felt comfortable enough with sitting some papers at home. I sat down- open the papers and literally know none of it, for 2-3 papers now I've flicked through and just thought... what have I done wrong?
I began revision by basically writing out the key points in my books and then condensing these to make posters to stick up around my room that I read when I walk past them etc. I'm unsure what to do further? I feel as if it is too late to create flash cards etc.
What should I do! At this rate I will probably get C's or fail... Whilst I am predicted/ my target is A/B level.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Heya! I've got GCSE's in less than a month too, I'm freaking out right now! But here are my revision tips:
Purchase a revision guide and LEARN IT.
Instead of making mind maps, try making a powerpoint or a word document.
Also, make a presentation about the topic and present it to your family/anyone who'll listen to you!
USE HIGHLIGHTERS (PINK ARE BEST)
Try to organize your revision into subjects, and maybe do a different subject in a different room/place/car/garden/library to help you remember?
RELAX :smile:)))))))))
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Stay off TSR
Thank you so much for the tips Katycookie- I will definately give making a powerpoint or word document a go! I've never thought of that before but I bet it'll be very effective.
I'm at the stage where I am so panicked I just feel like everythings too late...
Perhaps Pm me and we can worry together! And exchange revision tips and techniques :smile:
Original post by juliam
Stay off TSR

I don't really see how this is intended to help. Why would I stay of TSR if I had a question for TSR?
Thanks anyway I guess.
meh, I probably wouldnt do what the other poster said but its up to what you find best.

I would go through the books you have and try to understand everything and have it memorised so you can reel off the knowledge. Also, with GCSE, you should probably make a note of common questions in the past papers because it will probably come up in your exam
Thank you for those links Ilham007 I'll be sure to use them!

danscott- Is there anywhere on TSR I can find common GCSE paper questions?
Reply 8
Original post by RebeccaRevision
Sounds like a really stupid question but...
have GCSE's in less than a month and over the past 2 days have felt comfortable enough with sitting some papers at home. I sat down- open the papers and literally know none of it, for 2-3 papers now I've flicked through and just thought... what have I done wrong?
I began revision by basically writing out the key points in my books and then condensing these to make posters to stick up around my room that I read when I walk past them etc. I'm unsure what to do further? I feel as if it is too late to create flash cards etc.
What should I do! At this rate I will probably get C's or fail... Whilst I am predicted/ my target is A/B level.

Thank you!

This may not help you now but for other readers I make this point:

IMHO it is a terrible mistake to start past papers shortly before the exam for the very reason you mention. It is far better to use them right from the start. As you do a topic pick out the questions in all the past papers on your board and the other boards on that topic. That is how to find out what you need to learn when you still have time to learn it. You should constantly cross reference the specification, the past papers and your learning (or the lack thereof )
no but once u start doing the papers you will recognise them. Try and have a knowledge of the key words they give you marks for, espeicially in science

Quick Reply

Latest