The Student Room Group

Why do people care what other people do?

Made this after seeing a few comments in threads. Perticularly along the lines of stay at home mums are lazy (even when she's supporting herself/wealthy enough not to work and not on benefits), vegetarians are stupid (wow, I don't even), people who dress as goths are attention seekers (what are we, 12?), girls who don't shave are "gross"... and it got me thinking...why do people care what other people do if it doesn't affect them? As long as they're not involving me or hurting anyone, I don't give a toss what people want to do :lolwut:

I'm genuinely curious

Scroll to see replies

Why do you care about these nosey people? :colone:
Reply 2
Personal value systems. Desire to conform. Fear of other in particular, since Other is a threat to your ego and one's understanding of oneself. To encounter the Other and embrace the unknown is to admit one's own vulnerability, the fragility of what were once concrete beliefs formulating comprehension, and the potential insignificance of the I in a sea of not-I.
Reply 3
Original post by PythianLegume

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Made this after seeing a few comments in threads. Perticularly along the lines of stay at home mums are lazy (even when she's supporting herself/wealthy enough not to work and not on benefits), vegetarians are stupid (wow, I don't even), people who dress as goths are attention seekers (what are we, 12?), girls who don't shave are "gross"... and it got me thinking...why do people care what other people do if it doesn't affect them? As long as they're not involving me or hurting anyone, I don't give a toss what people want to do :lolwut:

I'm genuinely curious

Cute.

You answered it yourself; they generally don't unless it affects them. The questions are usually framed more like "would you be with somebody who x?" - In that case it does affect them.
Reply 4
Basically, people are ********s. You can't just be realising this now surely :lol:
Original post by PythianLegume

haha nice :tongue:

I'm just curious what makes others think like this. I find humans interesting, but I can't fathom this one out, other than possible bitterness towards the group they're attacking
Original post by Riku
Personal value systems. Desire to conform. Fear of other in particular, since Other is a threat to your ego and one's understanding of oneself. To encounter the Other and embrace the unknown is to admit one's own vulnerability, the fragility of what were once concrete beliefs formulating comprehension, and the potential insignificance of the I in a sea of not-I.

Interesting response, thanks :smile: It does literally seem to be ERRRMEHGERD, SOMETHING DIFFERENT, ATTACK

Original post by Precious Illusions
Basically, people are ********s. You can't just be realising this now surely :lol:

I know :lol: But I'm just wondering what the thought system behind the behaviour is
I don't know I have a friend who think vegetarianism is stupid and animals are made to be eaten
Because some people are strange and seem to get a kick out of putting people down, thus will do so at any opportunity, despite the fact it isn't harming them in any way. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Sometimes individual choices do affect the wider economy & society negatively but most of the time its just people wanting others to conform to their way of thinking. e.g. its fair to be anti-smoker around smokers because they are negatively impacting society
I find it very strange too. I really could not care less what people do if it doesn't affect me, but it seems a significant number of people are stuck in the mentality of an immature kid. Very frustrating. I wonder if you asked one of these people why they felt that way about X, what they would say, if they would even have a response?
Original post by Robbie242
Sometimes individual choices do affect the wider economy & society negatively but most of the time its just people wanting others to conform to their way of thinking. e.g. its fair to be anti-smoker around smokers because they are negatively impacting society

Yeah that's fair enough. If it actually affects something, that's fine. But some people just seem to care so much about what other people do:lolwut:
Original post by LekiPrzeciwzak
I find it very strange too. I really could not care less what people do if it doesn't affect me, but it seems a significant number of people are stuck in the mentality of an immature kid. Very frustrating. I wonder if you asked one of these people why they felt that way about X, what they would say, if they would even have a response?

Yeah exactly, it's like why do you even have an opinion on it? :s-smilie: It makes no sense. Very immature
Reply 13
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

I'm genuinely curious

I think I can speak for the vegetarianism one as a recent convert.

People feel the need to justify themselves by attacking vegetarians as they feel threatened by the fact vegetarians are 'strong enough' to take a very moral life choice which they themselves are unwilling to do. It threatens them as they feel like vegetarians see themselves as/are seen as morally superior.

They feel the need to justify their life choices in the face of that and for many people it means attacking that lifestyle.
We inhabit many irrational behaviours, that being one of them, it's unlikely you're immune to it. If you think carefully, you have probably been guilty of it in the past at some point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Robbie242

Are they? How?
Original post by redferry
I think I can speak for the vegetarianism one as a recent convert.

People feel the need to justify themselves by attacking vegetarians as they feel threatened by the fact vegetarians are 'strong enough' to take a very moral life choice which they themselves are unwilling to do. It threatens them as they feel like vegetarians see themselves as/are seen as morally superior.

They feel the need to justify their life choices in the face of that and for many people it means attacking that lifestyle.

This is a really good argument. I wonder if that goes for a lot of things? They're threatened by someone who doesn't need to conform, and so they try to attack them to push those feelings onto them.

Original post by Jibola240
We inhabit many irrational behaviours, that being one of them, it's unlikely your immune to it. If you think carefully, you have probably been guilty of it in the past at some point.

I doubt it, because I genuinely don't care what others do..
I doubt they care anymore than you. Debunked
Unless it has an effect on me, I don't really care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Response: Conjecture, I don't care. Debunked.

What's with this recent trend of people using the word debunked in inappropriate contexts?

Adding the word 'debunked' to the end of your post doesn't lend it anything.

Quick Reply

Latest