The Student Room Group

The Lush Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaraBelle
Oh you are so lovely for typing all that out for me :smile: thank youuu! I will definitely get some samples of shangri la and fresh farmacy and maybe invest in some toner water too then! It's helped a ton, lush assistants are always so nice! :') Just one last question though, am I still okay to use angels on bare skin every night? :smile:

Yep, Angels is fine to use every night. :smile: No problem at all, glad I could help! xx
Reply 2441
Original post by truthandtragedy
Why am I reading an article about hair dye? What's your point?

My point is that cosmetics companies don't throw benzene into their products just for lols, it is heavily regulated so there really isn't much advantage of buying cosmetics and toiletries without the "nasty chemicals" In fact there is a disadvantage in that it will just go off faster which I found out the hard way.
Original post by S.R
My point is that cosmetics companies don't throw benzene into their products just for lols, it is heavily regulated so there really isn't much advantage of buying cosmetics and toiletries without the "nasty chemicals" In fact there is a disadvantage in that it will just go off faster which I found out the hard way.

Yes, but it doesn't mean that there aren't things which are bad for your skin in them. Things like sulfates, parabens and preservatives are all found in a lot of skincare products, they're bad for your skin but they still get used. And a product like Vaseline, which is a mass marketed, cheap product is made from petrol. Surely that can't be good for you. Personally, I'd much rather pay the extra price and know exactly what I'm putting on my skin, and where it's come from. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, but I think that looking after your skin, body etc is worth investing in.
Reply 2443
Yes, but it doesn't mean that there aren't things which are bad for your skin in them. Things like sulfates, parabens and preservatives are all found in a lot of skincare products, they're bad for your skin but they still get used.

This is not true. The public just don't understand scientific studies. Scientific studies aren't just a case of doing an experiment and declaring that the substance is safe or it is not. It's all complex statistics and in regard to parabens there is still debate. It's not like smoking and lung cancer where the stats are totally obvious. However I don't take issue with your decision to avoid parabens because it "may be" dangerous. nothing wrong with that. As for sulfates they are not dangerous at all.
"Toxicology research by the U.S. OSHA and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) is not a carcinogen"

And a product like Vaseline, which is a mass marketed, cheap product is made from petrol. Surely that can't be good for you.

As a chemist it really pains me to read such ignorance. For starters Vaseline is not made from petrol it is made from crude oil which is a mixture of chemicals, one of which (octane) is called petrol. Not all of these chemicals are dangerous. It's like if I have some cyanide dissolved in water, if I distill out the water it's perfectly drinkable because it is just water and nothing else. Even if it was made from petrol, what people fail to understand is that if you make one chemical from another then there will be absolutely none of the characteristics of the old chemical in the new chemical because it is a completely different chemical.

Personally, I'd much rather pay the extra price and know exactly what I'm putting on my skin, and where it's come from. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion, but I think that looking after your skin, body etc is worth investing in.

You know whats in any product because it will always be on the label. The real issue is you don't understand what's in your product because its all chemicals with big names, but if someone comes along with "all natural" products you feel better because you can understand the products such as beeswax or almond oil within. But if I made something artificial and slapped "benzaldehyde" on it you wouldn't know that it's the exact same thing as almond oil so you become wary. Chemicals arent as bad as you think. Everything is a chemical.
Original post by S.R
This is not true. The public just don't understand scientific studies. Scientific studies aren't just a case of doing an experiment and declaring that the substance is safe or it is not. It's all complex statistics and in regard to parabens there is still debate. It's not like smoking and lung cancer where the stats are totally obvious. However I don't take issue with your decision to avoid parabens because it "may be" dangerous. nothing wrong with that. As for sulfates they are not dangerous at all.
"Toxicology research by the U.S. OSHA and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) is not a carcinogen"

As a chemist it really pains me to read such ignorance. For starters Vaseline is not made from petrol it is made from crude oil which is a mixture of chemicals, one of which (octane) is called petrol. Not all of these chemicals are dangerous. It's like if I have some cyanide dissolved in water, if I distill out the water it's perfectly drinkable because it is just water and nothing else. Even if it was made from petrol, what people fail to understand is that if you make one chemical from another then there will be absolutely none of the characteristics of the old chemical in the new chemical because it is a completely different chemical.

You know whats in any product because it will always be on the label. The real issue is you don't understand what's in your product because its all chemicals with big names, but if someone comes along with "all natural" products you feel better because you can understand the products such as beeswax or almond oil within. But if I made something artificial and slapped "benzaldehyde" on it you wouldn't know that it's the exact same thing as almond oil so you become wary. Chemicals arent as bad as you think. Everything is a chemical.

It's more the fact that they are bad for your skin, rather than dangerous. Obviously I'm not saying that there are toxic, deadly chemicals in these other products, but they do contain ingredients which are not beneficial to your skin, like sulfates.

Anyway, this thread is for those of us who do like and appreciate Lush and their products. Obviously you aren't a fan, and that's fine. :smile:
Reply 2445
It's more the fact that they are bad for your skin, rather than dangerous. Obviously I'm not saying that there are toxic, deadly chemicals in these other products, but they do contain ingredients which are not beneficial to your skin, like sulfates.

Well that all depends on the individual. I'm allergic to milk and that's natural.

Anyway, this thread is for those of us who do like and appreciate Lush and their products. Obviously you aren't a fan, and that's fine. :smile:

I like lush! that's why I posted originally. I spent £60 there last months and I have a gift card. I'm just in it for the smell though and not for any "anti mainstream cosmetics/toiletries" reasons.
Original post by S.R
Well that all depends on the individual. I'm allergic to milk and that's natural.

I like lush! that's why I posted originally. I spent £60 there last months and I have a gift card. I'm just in it for the smell though and not for any "anti mainstream cosmetics/toiletries" reasons.

Ooh, sorry! I must not have read your first post properly. I'm not anti mainstream cosmetics either haha, it's just that working for Lush and blogging online has opened my eyes to what I'm using on my skin and I'm trying to make more of a conscious effort to do my research before I buy things.
Yep, Angels is fine to use every night. :smile: No problem at all, glad I could help! xx

I went to lush today and the sales assistant said that Fresh Farmacy wasn't a good one for dry skin and would dry it out more :frown:
I went to lush today and the sales assistant said that Fresh Farmacy wasn't a good one for dry skin and would dry it out more :frown:

Really?! That's strange because it doesn't contain drying ingredients, it's super gentle and calming. What did they suggest for you? xx
Really?! That's strange because it doesn't contain drying ingredients, it's super gentle and calming. What did they suggest for you? xx

Well he said to try angels om bare akin which I already use, then gave me a sample of buche de noel! He said coalface was suited to more skin types that fresh farmacy, but I wasn't willing to put black stuff on my face, especially cause I'd read onlone that coalface was for oily skin types!

Also also, found out some perfumes are being taken out of shops and put just online now, and they've got a new range of oil perfumes, which pretty much all smell horrible :frown:
Well he said to try angels om bare akin which I already use, then gave me a sample of buche de noel! He said coalface was suited to more skin types that fresh farmacy, but I wasn't willing to put black stuff on my face, especially cause I'd read onlone that coalface was for oily skin types!

Also also, found out some perfumes are being taken out of shops and put just online now, and they've got a new range of oil perfumes, which pretty much all smell horrible :frown:

That's really strange, Coalface is definitely more skin-specific than Fresh Farmacy, and as you said, it's recommended for oily skin. Buche de Noel is pretty much the Christmas version of Angels, so you should be fine with that. This has really puzzled me, you should go back and ask someone else and see if they say the same!

Yessss, I know! I'm not supposed to say this, but I think the new perfumes are awful. There's one called Sun which I like, but the rest smell like sweaty old men to me. I'm actually off into town to stock up on Breath of God right now, just in case it gets discontinued! xx
That's really strange, Coalface is definitely more skin-specific than Fresh Farmacy, and as you said, it's recommended for oily skin. Buche de Noel is pretty much the Christmas version of Angels, so you should be fine with that. This has really puzzled me, you should go back and ask someone else and see if they say the same!

Yessss, I know! I'm not supposed to say this, but I think the new perfumes are awful. There's one called Sun which I like, but the rest smell like sweaty old men to me. I'm actually off into town to stock up on Breath of God right now, just in case it gets discontinued! xx

I know that's what I thought! I did look at the comments online though, and quite a lot of them are saying it's drying :/ I'm going back tomorrow though so yeah I'll ask another assistant and see what they say :smile: I'm really liking buche de noel! Bit too bitty but really nice :smile:

They really are, I sniffed every single one and I just don't know what they were thinking getting rid of most of the lovely old ones! :frown: Breath of God is staying :smile: I was told the 5 definitely still staying in all the shops are vanillary, lust, karma, breath of god and imogen rose, the others are going to but put online and some discontinued :frown:
I know that's what I thought! I did look at the comments online though, and quite a lot of them are saying it's drying :/ I'm going back tomorrow though so yeah I'll ask another assistant and see what they say :smile: I'm really liking buche de noel! Bit too bitty but really nice :smile:

They really are, I sniffed every single one and I just don't know what they were thinking getting rid of most of the lovely old ones! :frown: Breath of God is staying :smile: I was told the 5 definitely still staying in all the shops are vanillary, lust, karma, breath of god and imogen rose, the others are going to but put online and some discontinued :frown:

Glad you're liking Buche de Noel anyway! I tried the other Christmas cleanser, Let The Good Times Roll, and it's goooorgeous. Exfoliating but really moisturising! Did you get anything else when you went the other day? Definitely try Oatifix face mask if you haven't already. :smile:

Oh good, I was panicking about Breath of God! Wah, that's rubbish though. :frown: The old ones are much nicer. Maybe if enough of us protest in complaint, they'll keep stocking them. :rolleyes:
Reply 2453
Right I'm doing secret santa with a few friends and budget is £10 but I only want to spend around £3 of that in Lush. Is there anything good that I could get from there for that price?
I was thinking a bath bomb...do you guys think they are worth it considering I would only be able to get one bath bomb lol?
Original post by Luxray
Right I'm doing secret santa with a few friends and budget is £10 but I only want to spend around £3 of that in Lush. Is there anything good that I could get from there for that price?
I was thinking a bath bomb...do you guys think they are worth it considering I would only be able to get one bath bomb lol?

Defo worth it. I bought the christmas eve bubble bar for my secret Santa, and put instructions to open that one on Christmas eve and the other on Christmas day :smile: if you're willing to stretch a little bit, the tiny hands solid hand cream is 4.15, and lasts a really long time and smells great which you could also consider :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Glad you're liking Buche de Noel anyway! I tried the other Christmas cleanser, Let The Good Times Roll, and it's goooorgeous. Exfoliating but really moisturising! Did you get anything else when you went the other day? Definitely try Oatifix face mask if you haven't already. :smile:

Oh good, I was panicking about Breath of God! Wah, that's rubbish though. :frown: The old ones are much nicer. Maybe if enough of us protest in complaint, they'll keep stocking them. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's super nice! It's on my christmas list now :-) I cannot stop singing praises about LTGTR, got 3 more of my friends into it too! I just bought a perfume for my dad and two Christmas eve bubble bars for presents. Went again today though cause a friend wanted a tour so I went round and explained all the products to her, she left with a each peach massage bar and a trichomania sample, successful trip I'd say! I bought the tiny hands solid hand cream for a friend's birthday, and got samples of trichomania and snowcake, it smelled so good! I use godiva at the moment but it's quite expensive so I thought I'd try trichomania and see how that goes :smile:

Haha if only! I do have to say though, I actually bought breath of god for my dad as the shop assistant said it was very unisex and it smelled quite masculine, what do you think of this? Unisex or not? Old ones are definitely much nicer, don't understand why they got rid of then :frown:
Reply 2456
Defo worth it. I bought the christmas eve bubble bar for my secret Santa, and put instructions to open that one on Christmas eve and the other on Christmas day :smile: if you're willing to stretch a little bit, the tiny hands solid hand cream is 4.15, and lasts a really long time and smells great which you could also consider :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S

Any more recommendations?

edit: lol
I repped the wrong post but yeah at least you still got it
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Luxray
Any more recommendations?

That's around 3 pounds? I've tried amandopondo, rose jam, butterball and rose queen which were all very nice, rose jam being my fav, or you could try some Christmas ones like melting snowman, quite cinnamony or party popper if that's the kind of person you're buying it for. You could always go in and have a sniff of them there, the shop assistants are always really lovely and happy to help you pick one :smile:
Reply 2458
That's around 3 pounds? I've tried amandopondo, rose jam, butterball and rose queen which were all very nice, rose jam being my fav, or you could try some Christmas ones like melting snowman, quite cinnamony or party popper if that's the kind of person you're buying it for. You could always go in and have a sniff of them there, the shop assistants are always really lovely and happy to help you pick one :smile:

Thanks, yeah I definitely shall browse through the shop. The hand cream sounds very good. How do you store it?
Original post by Luxray
Thanks, yeah I definitely shall browse through the shop. The hand cream sounds very good. How do you store it?

Well you have to keep it dry so you can keep it in any old tin or box or something, but it fits perfectly into a body butter tin which is what I use :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest