The Student Room Group

Guys would you date a plus size girl?

I want honesty of all your opinions - it seems to be a social issue that plus size/ fat girls are a problem or something.
Im not a plus size myself but I would really like to know why it is that guys tend to avoid girls that are on the bigger side.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't understand what this terminology means and I am too lazy to google it
could you post some examples?
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
I don't understand what this terminology means and I am too lazy to google it
could you post some examples?

plus size means a girl who is "fat" in the eyes of society
Reply 3
I would imagine it's because someone who tends to be too lazy to look after themselves is unlikely to be a good relationship partner for most people.

Inb4 generalising and stereotyping; that's what the question demands yet again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
[QUOTE="ahdbadman981;47176489"]are u mad[/QUOTE

whhhatt do you mean?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
plus size means a girl who is "fat" in the eyes of society

Well I imagine it varies but its really as simple as:
do I find her attractive??? yes - date no - not date
Been fat may reduce your chances with some but it will be fine with others.
The answer is yes, on the condition that I found her attractive. If her weight or anything else made her seem unattractive then I would probably not date her.
Original post by marinaim
I would imagine it's because someone who tends to be too lazy to look after themselves is unlikely to be a good relationship partner for most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are correct, unless it is a medical problem that is completely uncontrollable.
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

This question does not demand you to stereotype in anyway, it was your own personal choice to do so or think in such way.
I think a great answer to this incredibly open question would be an incredibly open answer.

It depends.
Reply 9
Original post by Apocrypha
I think a great answer to this incredibly open question would be an incredibly open answer.

It depends.

'depends', what do you mean by that?

it probably means: no.

If you have a preference for lean bacon, slightly fatty bacon is more appealing than incredibly fatty bacon.
This question does not demand you to stereotype in anyway, it was your own personal choice to do so or think in such way.

It does , else the answer will always be 'oh it depends' unless one is very adamant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it seems to be a social issue that plus size/ fat girls are a problem or something.

Firstly, it's not just a social construct - Its a medical one. I'm all for not demonising people because of their weight, but neither should we sugar-coat it to the point of ignoring the real medical effects of obesity. It's not a healthy thing to be obese.

As for attractiveness; sexual selection means that people will naturally be more attracted to those that are deemed to have higher reproductive fitness. At least subconsciously, you want to have a relationship with someone that you can mate with and have healthy children. Any medical problems are obviously going to be a turn off.

Would I date a larger girl? Honestly it depends on how fat we're talking, and how drawn to her other attributes (personality, sense of humour, similar interests, etc) I was. It's the whole package that matters, and being a little chubby could be fine if other things made me really attracted to her. With that said, there would be a point at which the extra weight would be a definite no.

So in summary, it would be a negative, but it would depend on the individual as to whether it ruled anything out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't get this.

I know people who don't exercise at all, don't walk anywhere if they don't have to, but don't eat a lot.
The only difference between them and an overweight person (in this case) is that the overweight person eats more.

How does this really make them lazier?
I could understand this idea if all thin people exercised and walked loads.

Anyway, back on thread:
I wouldn't be very attracted to a plus sized model, myself. In the same way I don't like really short girls.
There are plenty of men who even prefer plus sized girls though.

Edit: It's "would you date" which I didn't realise.
Yeah, I would. It's less likely I'd be attracted to her; but if I was, I'd date her.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do guys really avoid bigger girls? There's more to grab on to in bed :colone:

In all seriousness, the majority of the time men might not want to because they don't want other guys to take the piss, which is of course ridiculous. Some curvy girls can be hella sexy. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Probably? Don't think about it much. There is more to being attractive than looks anyway.
Doesn't it depend how plus size were talking? It's like saying would you go out with a skinny girl, depends on the girl? Hard to say when all you know is she's skinny (or not)...
What if the girl was really pretty or sexy in her size?
Original post by james1211
Probably? Don't think about it much. There is more to being attractive than looks anyway.

"its all about personality" is that what you are leading to anyways?
you sure about that though?

Quick Reply

Latest