The Student Room Group

If I apply to university with ABB at AS, am I screwed?

I got low As in all my mocks, so I think I'm on course for AAA, but I'm worried that I'll **** up and come out with ABB. If that happens, are all hopes of a decent university education out of the window?

(Context: I'll be applying for relatively unpopular courses [obscure modern language combinations] at places like Edinburgh, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, where the offers are AAB-ABB [except Edinburgh, which is rather cryptic and just says AAA-BBB].)

I'm extremely confident about my personal statement, though. (Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but still.)

I'm gonna be doing another AS next year, too (Maths, probably). So I'll end up with 4 AS and 3 A2.

Anyway, my question was: if I apply to university with ABB at AS, am I screwed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump?
Reply 2
Nah, you should be fine. Especially if your references/predicted are AAA.
Original post by Катя
I got low As in all my mocks, so I think I'm on course for AAA, but I'm worried that I'll **** up and come out with ABB. If that happens, are all hopes of a decent university education out of the window?

(Context: I'll be applying for relatively unpopular courses [obscure modern language combinations] at places like Edinburgh, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, where the offers are AAB-ABB [except Edinburgh, which is rather cryptic and just says AAA-BBB].)

I'm extremely confident about my personal statement, though. (Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but still.)

I'm gonna be doing another AS next year, too (Maths, probably). So I'll end up with 4 AS and 3 A2.

You can see what % of applicants received offers for specific courses at certain unis here. That should give some indication but you can't read too much from it.

From anecdotal evidence of people I know, if the course isn't that competitive you should get offers even if your AS grades are a few grades below their typical offer. A strong PS showing commitment to the course can help. Also, make sure your predicted grades are at least as high as the entry requirements and that should help significantly.

The higher your grades the better, but with ABB I think you'd have a reasonable chance of getting offers from most (if not all) the universities you mentioned, but you might want to consider applying to a few backup choices.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
If your doing languages, you got a good chance. They are a dying course.

Also dont forget, universities which you kind of hinted at probably make a lot more offers than they have spaces so theres always the chance that they will send you an offer in the hope you firm them and make it.
No, because MFLs are generally struggling to recruit students, and assuming you achieve ABB+ at A2 you'll be outside the student number controls.
Reply 6
Original post by Катя

Not screwed no, if you get ABB at AS then Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester are still well within reach. Just make sure you have a backup. The only issue is Edinburgh. The reason for the grade variation is because Edinburgh give offers based on circumstance and are pretty competitive- go to a private school or a good state school which sends a lot of kids to university then the offer if given is almost certainly at the top end of the range, go to a poor comp and live in the very north of England or Southern Scotland and they'd be more likely to give a BBB offer. Oh if you are the first in your family or have been in care or experienced disruption with education, Edinburgh also look at that. I know for the more competitive courses at Edinburgh you need to be predicted AAA really to be in with a chance.
Reply 7
No!!!
I have AABB at AS (because i repeated two modules) but initially i got BBBDD! (i did 5, i dropped one) I got an offer from Edinburgh to study Maths, which is not an unpopular course in the slightest! (at AS i did maths further maths bio history and chem, at A2 im doing maths further maths bio and history)
The BBBD was a total disaster and shouldn't have happened, I've made up for it big time by getting full marks in maths and bringing up grades by 30+ marks (i must have just been lazy last summer) but it doesn't matter, Edinburgh didn't know that.
I went through the same panic this year but thankfully i recieved all 5 offers (maybe i was just lucky).
But don't panic, i'm sure you'll be grand!
Hope this makes you feel better
Why don't you have a 4th AS?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by yl95
Why don't you have a 4th AS?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I'm lazy, and because I spent 1.5 years out of school and in hospital. I originally signed up for 4, but was told by the head of pastoral care of my college to not. She even told the guy in charge of timetabling to not listen to anything I say if I come asking to be added to an economics class, or something.

But, this reminds me: is a fourth AS even necessary? I've only ever seen it in offers for Warwick PPE and all UCL courses nowhere else.
Sounds like your screwed with the subject(s) choice anyway so I wouldn't be too worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя
Because I'm lazy, and because I spent 1.5 years out of school and in hospital. I originally signed up for 4, but was told by the head of pastoral care of my college to not. She even told the guy in charge of timetabling to not listen to anything I say if I come asking to be added to an economics class, or something.

But, this reminds me: is a fourth AS even necessary? I've only ever seen it in offers for Warwick PPE and all UCL courses nowhere else.

It's not necessary except for courses where they explicitly require it, such as for those courses you've mentioned.
You could get into a Russell Group/1994 Group with ABB at A2. Your grades are fine.
Reply 13
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Sounds like your screwed with the subject(s) choice anyway so I wouldn't be too worried

Screwed, how so? "Employment prospects"? Life is short. Spanish and Chinese are calling me.
Reply 14
Original post by adamsmithqm
You could get into a Russell Group/1994 Group with ABB at A2. Your grades are fine.

Even if entry requirements are AAB?
Original post by Катя
Even if entry requirements are AAB?

Depends on the University and course. If come results day they have places left they would let you in with slightly lower grades. Plus ABB is a good set of results to have since it falls within the student number caps.

The more 'prestigious' the University the less likely they would let you in with lower grades.
Reply 16
What grades would be good at as level to get an offer for a uni askinf for abb
Reply 17
Original post by llik
What grades would be good at as level to get an offer for a uni askinf for abb

I would say ABB, but then again, I've heard of people with AS grades of BBC and lower getting into Russell Group universities because they get predictions of AAB or something.
Original post by Катя
I would say ABB, but then again, I've heard of people with AS grades of BBC and lower getting into Russell Group universities because they get predictions of AAB or something.

Indeed, though it should be remembered that if they don't meet their offer, they probably won't be attending the RG uni, so overpredictions can be somewhat counterproductive.
Original post by Катя
Screwed, how so? "Employment prospects"? Life is short. Spanish and Chinese are calling me.

#YOLO GIRLFRIEND, 4FORUGLENCOCO

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending