The Student Room Group

Is Politics/PPE/Politics with Parliamentary MA Competitive?

I'm currently applying to York (PPE MA), Leeds (Politics with Parliamentary MA) and Sheffield (Politics MA) for my MA. I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is to get on one of these courses?
I'm currently averaging a high-mid 2:1 in History, and I have a decent track record of work experience (nothing major, and no internships due to having operations in the summer). I'm aware that PPE at York is quite unlikely but I was unsure about the two other courses.

I'm worried that a mid-2:1 isn't really good enough to get an offer for any of these courses but I'm unwilling to apply elsewhere as these Universities are closer to my hometown. Also, I'm aware that Kent isn't particularly on par with the Russell Group Universities either. However, I wasn't sure whether this was a undergrad concern? Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Cannot talk out of personal experience, but I'll try to give you some thoughts.

Honestly, I would not expect a PPE MA to be too popular (hence particularly competitive at the application stage). PPE is very popular for undergrads, but I wouldn't assume the same at grad level. Not sure on this, but yet... Also, given the interdisciplinary nature of PPE, I would expect a higher degree of variety in applicants' backgrounds for that MA, than for the others you listed, and this might help you a little bit. Sheffield is a top department, so I would expect it to be the most competitive among your choices. Finally, Leeds surely attracts people for the parliamentary concentration, but it is a little more specific (in the title at least), so my guess is that only people with that very specific interest would apply (but this might not play in your favor, unless you have some relevant studies/experiences/research in the field). In terms of popularity I would say Sheffield>Leeds(slightly)>York>Kent. However, this is always a guess, so the situation might be very different. Much also depends on your PS, given that you are changing field.
Reply 2
Original post by polscistudent88
Cannot talk out of personal experience, but I'll try to give you some thoughts.

Honestly, I would not expect a PPE MA to be too popular (hence particularly competitive at the application stage). PPE is very popular for undergrads, but I wouldn't assume the same at grad level. Not sure on this, but yet... Also, given the interdisciplinary nature of PPE, I would expect a higher degree of variety in applicants' backgrounds for that MA, than for the others you listed, and this might help you a little bit. Sheffield is a top department, so I would expect it to be the most competitive among your choices. Finally, Leeds surely attracts people for the parliamentary concentration, but it is a little more specific (in the title at least), so my guess is that only people with that very specific interest would apply (but this might not play in your favor, unless you have some relevant studies/experiences/research in the field). In terms of popularity I would say Sheffield>Leeds(slightly)>York>Kent. However, this is always a guess, so the situation might be very different. Much also depends on your PS, given that you are changing field.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, Sheffield is the last place I actually want to go as I'm not particularly keen on the city and the course structure in comparison to Leeds and York. I expected PPE to be quite competitive and York to be the most competitive University to get into out of the lot, but I suppose things change from undergraduate. I've made sure I've catered my PS to be as politics orientated as it can get, just hopefully the admissions will be convinced!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending