The Student Room Group

Postgrad fees

This question goes for anyone funding their own postgrad study. About to start my Masters degree in September and am looking into loans to pay it. Any recommendations on banks?
Reply 1
Original post by DFuentes
This question goes for anyone funding their own postgrad study. About to start my Masters degree in September and am looking into loans to pay it. Any recommendations on banks?

The only loan you can get as a postgraduate student is a Career Development Loan, you can get up to £10,000 from either Barclays or the Co-op but you have to pass their credit checks first so they could decline you.
Does anyone know whether Barclay's or Co-op require a 'credit history'. I've never borrowed before but have got a credit card as of this week to start building some kind of credit history :s
Reply 3
Original post by CharlotteWolf
Does anyone know whether Barclay's or Co-op require a 'credit history'. I've never borrowed before but have got a credit card as of this week to start building some kind of credit history :s

Yes, you will be credit checked for a CDL. However as a postgrad you won't be expected to have much of a credit history-if any. The main consideration will be whether you have a poor credit record.

It's worth bearing in mind that whilst you can apply for the maximum £10,000, the banks may not give you the entire amount. Also, based on what I've read on TSR, sometimes the banks can take a long time to make a decision. You may find out quite near the start of your course, that you have less money than you expected.
Reply 4
Friend of mine got his application refused because he went over his overdraft limit by a mere £3 - and apparently the reason he went over was the banks fault...
Thanks for the advice people - I'm disgusted at all of these glass windows, and the limited options there are for postgrad students. Very saddening to see - it get's people unnecessarily tangled in debt at the beginning of life. Fingers crossed for all of us!
Reply 6
Original post by CharlotteWolf
Thanks for the advice people - I'm disgusted at all of these glass windows, and the limited options there are for postgrad students. Very saddening to see - it get's people unnecessarily tangled in debt at the beginning of life. Fingers crossed for all of us!

you can blame the government for withdrawing an awful lot of funding from universities.

You could consider going abroad, some continental universities don't charge anywhere near as much but more often than not their postgrad degrees are two years long.
Original post by c2uk
you can blame the government for withdrawing an awful lot of funding from universities.

You could consider going abroad, some continental universities don't charge anywhere near as much but more often than not their postgrad degrees are two years long.

I meant glass ceilings not windows - oops.

Nah I've already got a place I dob't want to lose it! Did consider abroad originally though,

I've taken a year out and I work full time, and another job in the evenings - so those banks better help me out :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending