The Student Room Group

Creepy to go alone?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this, so my apologies if this is a frequently occurring topic, but I really need some impartial advice.
The guitarist from my all time favourite band (the strokes) is coming to my home town on a solo tour. I'm a massive fan of his solo work and would hate myself if I missed the opportunity, so I bought a ticket.
However. my friends don't share the same music taste as me and none of them want to come with me (mainly because it's near to exams) but my counterargument is, who even revises from 7-10pm and surely it would be something to look forward to in a stressful period?

Anyway, I've decided to go alone, as it seems to be the only option: is this strange/creepy and should I sacrifice the whole night because it would be bad to go alone?

PS I'm a 17 year old girl, does this make me vulnerable?
Reply 1
Of course it doesn't make you creepy. You're going there to appreciate the music. And anyone who thinks you're weird because you're there alone can **** right off. You do what you want to do.
Reply 2
Nothing wrong with going alone at all.

Try and avoid walking home alone though. I wouldn't like to see a 17 year old girl out walking on her own after 10pm...
Reply 3
Huh? There's nothing creepy about this at all.

I've been going to gigs on my own since I was 16, and it's simply not worth missing out on just because you can't find anyone to come with. Plus, even if you did have friends there, they'd just be standing next to you in the dark! It's hardly a chatty experience. :p:

Nobody's going to notice that you're alone - And if they did, wouldn't it be much more embarassing to be the person preoccupied with what strangers are doing than the person who can enjoy live music on their own?

In general, gigs aren't dangerous places, but as it's probably in the city centre, I'd make sure you have a definite means of getting home afterwards and at least vague knowledge of the area.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Nah its cool, you're not going for the chat! I go to the cinema alone if I want to see something that nobody else does, once it starts it makes no difference if you are alone or with ten others. See if you can get a lift home and enjoy! :smile:
Reply 5
If you live in a safe enough area where you can waltz up to your door at midnight alone, then by all means go for it! I don't think anyone will even notice whether you're alone or not
Reply 6
Original post by Precious Illusions
Of course it doesn't make you creepy. You're going there to appreciate the music. And anyone who thinks you're weird because you're there alone can **** right off. You do what you want to do.

TSR will not allow me to post that, as my post is too short. Now it is fine to post.
Reply 7
Original post by NathanW18

TSR will not allow me to post that, as my post is too short. Now it is fine to post.

Ha. Repped.
Reply 8
I've been in the same situation as you OP. My favourite band (Avenged Sevenfold) were playing in Wembley arena last December. In the past I've skipped and missed so many concerts because my friends either don't listen to rock/metal or just aren't concert goers. I ended up buying tickets for the concert ON the day of release and afterwards I kinda felt nervous. Had to wait a good 9 months for the concert and quite frequently I'd over think " Omg what am I going to do, how am I going to look being alone, is this right, am I a sad human being".

The show started at 7. Me knowing nothing about concerts as it was my first one, arrived at 5:30pm when said doors were to be opening. I will admit, the hour and a half I was just sitting in my seat alone felt kinda awkward but honestly, no one really cares. Most people come in groups but I wasn't the only one alone. Once the music starts and the lights go off you'll be too immersed by the experience to even care about who's thinking what or who you may have been with. It's not a chatty experience, the music is meant to be loud and that's the only thing you will be focusing on anyway. By the end of it I felt so glad that I didn't miss yet another opportunity like this due to some small insecurities which really mean nothing. I'm sure by no means you will regret this decision.

As far as safety goes, it really depends on the venue. Mine was at Wembley arena so it was crowded to death, not like any sort of criminal could get away with anything. At worst you should be wary for pick pocketers really. There are always a few dozen taxi's waiting outside so if you really don't feel safe just pay for a ride home, regardless of how expensive it is (better safe than sorry :biggrin:).

TL;DR
Don't let social insecurities get in the way of you having a great time.
Reply 9
Thank you so much everyone for your advice!
You're all right, there's no way I'm going to miss it now, it's not worth the regret I'd feel afterwards!
^.^
Reply 10

Unfortunately a lot of narrow minded people won't see it that way. Outside of the relatively "civilised" views of members here people are allsorts of judgemental.
Reply 11
Original post by james1211
Unfortunately a lot of narrow minded people won't see it that way. Outside of the relatively "civilised" views of members here people are allsorts of judgemental.

Oh of course. I'm just saying OP shouldn't give a ****. I often go the cinema alone and my friends are like 'but...don't people look at you? Don't you feel weird? I couldn't do that.' Which is ridiculous. I love my own company, and things like concerts or cinema etc are better alone, you can concentrate more. It's not even like you'd be talking during them. The people who will judge her will most likely be strangers who she'll never meet again so :dontknow:
Reply 12
Oh of course. I'm just saying OP shouldn't give a ****. I often go the cinema alone and my friends are like 'but...don't people look at you? Don't you feel weird? I couldn't do that.' Which is ridiculous. I love my own company, and things like concerts or cinema etc are better alone, you can concentrate more. It's not even like you'd be talking during them. The people who will judge her will most likely be strangers who she'll never meet again so :dontknow:

I agree. Just saying that the OP should be aware some people may give funny looks regardless of whether it's actually acceptable or not.
Reply 13
Original post by james1211
I agree. Just saying that the OP should be aware some people may give funny looks regardless of whether it's actually acceptable or not.

Oh yeah of course I agree :lol:

OP, beware there are many ***** out there who will judge you :tongue:
I always feel like people judge me when I go to things alone.

I always imagine them thinking things like "He's such a sado. No one probably likes him". In any case, I realised after a while that even if my thoughts were true, it really doesn't matter.
Oh yeah of course I agree :lol:

OP, beware there are many ***** out there who will judge you :tongue:

I think its admiration more than anything , deep down they wish they were confident enough to do it .

I've done things alone before which are seen as wierd to do e.g cinema and they've been some of the best experiences i've had , I was so well dressed people were mirin ridiculously .

Felt fcking liberating
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending