The Student Room Group

part a of of mice and men (any feedback)

How does Steinbeck use details in this passage to present the bunkhouse and its inhabitants?
The bunkhouse is shown as one of neglect despite its rather frequent use by the ranch workers. `Floor unpainted’ has been used here to reflect the condition of the bunkhouse but also the needs of its inhabitants. This shows that although the bunkhouse may not be luxurious it is a place of respite and comfort for them after the difficult working day. It is also symbolic of their plain and simplistic lives but also their ambitions. For example Lennie’s dream of a farm is simple yet unattainable due to his lack of money and power. The cramped conditions are shown by the `eight bunks’. This indicates the lack of privacy the inhabitants received but also the company which they desired due to their lack of relationships. Their loneliness is indicated by the way George and Lennie’s relationship is so poignant.
Furthermore, the mention of the `western magazines’ has been structurally put here purposely by Steinbeck.it introduces the theme of dreams at the beginning of their life at the ranch and indicates to the reader how their dreams were evident from the beginning.
Candy is the first worker to be shown on the ranch and his initial response is to mention the negative aspect of their arrival and mentioning how they`ve missed a day of work. This shows the pessimistic nature of many of the inhabitants of the bunkhouse and how their difficult lives have shaped their characters. Further mention has been made of his `round stick-like wrist’. Steinbeck purposely mentions his disability to explain his unwelcoming mood. His disability is a burden as within this society people were valued upon their ability to provide a service. Without the use of his hand it indicated Candy`s lack of usefulness and also his insignificance on the ranch. He is used to being ignored and fears the same response from George which is why he gives such an unceremonious response.
You could also mention the American Dream - 'Western magazines ranch men love to read and scoff at and secretly believe'.

which exam board are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by happysmile
You could also mention the American Dream - 'Western magazines ranch men love to read and scoff at and secretly believe'.

which exam board are you doing?

AQA and i mentioned that in the part b section so tried to not there
Reply 3
In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck present the lives of the ranch workers at that time?
Steinbeck uses George as the caricature of an itinerant farm worker during the time .He symbolises the hard lives they lived and the constant haunt of loneliness. The theme of loneliness is made evident throughout the play and is closely interlocked with the theme of dreams. Although the ranch workers `scoff ‘at the magazines they all secretly admire them and have the belief that they may attain the same one day. Also they all believe in the American dream which is the chance at prosperity through hard work. The belief gave them the optimism to continue. The loneliness was due to the fact `they don’t trust nobody’. Everyone was bothered about their own interests and this is why both George and Lennie benefit from their relationship.
The theme of fate is also introduced by Steinbeck in relation to the workers. He does this through the structure of the play .For example Crooks is mentioned at the beginning of the play by candy once he is `reassured’ of his friendship. He calls him a `negro stable buck’. This immediately causes George and the reader to create an impression of him but also to pre-judge him. When we do meet him which is just before the major climax of the play we have already formed a pre-disposition of him based on the negative things we have heard. This is reflective of society in the 1930’s and its prejudiced nature. So the structure of the play shows the theme of fate because Crooks has no control over their opinions and this is also how the ranch workers had no control over their lives but made the most of what they had.
The ranch workers of the time had very little rights and privileges due to lack of trade unions .they were only introduced by FDR and his New Deal scheme. Bosses treated their employees as they wanted and this shown by Candy who says ‘They’ll can me purty soon’. This is in reference to his disability and the way he will be sacked when he outlives his usefulness. Candy’s Dog is also symbolic of this and shows the cruelty of live when you outlive your usefulness. Social injustice and corruption is evident within the play just as it was within society at the time. Curley has social power and ain`t never gonna get canned’. This is due to his father’s wealth and financial achievement. So workers could do as much as they wanted but people like Curley who never did anything achieved more than they ever would.so through the use of Curleys and his arrogant nature Steinbeck shows how unfair the lives of the ranch workers were.
Steinbeck also shows the importance of physical power within this time. He blatantly admires Slim with the title of `prince of the ranch’ and shows that his skill is only worthy due to his intelligence with it .In addition Steinbeck shows the lack of importance of intelligence. Crooks is the most intelligent character with his array of books yet he is the loneliest character. His bunkhouse is symbolic of his isolation and status. Also George benefits from his friendship due to Lennie’s strength which enables him to find work too. This also shows that physical power was required to have a decent life as Crooks a disempowered character obviously doesn’t.
The lives of the ranch workers were inevitable, lonely and fated .they were lead on with their desire of achieving their dreams however many didn’t and led their whole lives in misery. The theme of loneliness shown by Steinbeck is a reflection of their lives.
Reply 4
Original post by Zayna123
How does Steinbeck use details in this passage to present the bunkhouse and its inhabitants?
The bunkhouse is shown as one of neglect despite its rather frequent use by the ranch workers. `Floor unpainted’ has been used here to reflect the condition of the bunkhouse but also the needs of its inhabitants. This shows that although the bunkhouse may not be luxurious it is a place of respite and comfort for them after the difficult working day. It is also symbolic of their plain and simplistic lives but also their ambitions. For example Lennie’s dream of a farm is simple yet unattainable due to his lack of money and power. The cramped conditions are shown by the `eight bunks’. This indicates the lack of privacy the inhabitants received but also the company which they desired due to their lack of relationships. Their loneliness is indicated by the way George and Lennie’s relationship is so poignant.
Furthermore, the mention of the `western magazines’ has been structurally put here purposely by Steinbeck.it introduces the theme of dreams at the beginning of their life at the ranch and indicates to the reader how their dreams were evident from the beginning.
Candy is the first worker to be shown on the ranch and his initial response is to mention the negative aspect of their arrival and mentioning how they`ve missed a day of work. This shows the pessimistic nature of many of the inhabitants of the bunkhouse and how their difficult lives have shaped their characters. Further mention has been made of his `round stick-like wrist’. Steinbeck purposely mentions his disability to explain his unwelcoming mood. His disability is a burden as within this society people were valued upon their ability to provide a service. Without the use of his hand it indicated Candy`s lack of usefulness and also his insignificance on the ranch. He is used to being ignored and fears the same response from George which is why he gives such an unceremonious response.

When reading this, I find that in some places it waffles on with the explanation, which I doubt that you'd get marked down for, but it would reduce the time that you'd have on the second part of the question. Your response fulfils PEE, you've made your point, given evidence and explained it with great analysis, so that it would be in the higher bands. You've linked each point to the question and keep referring to it, whilst making other points which people may not pick up on as much, so it's innovative.

Overall, I'd be surprised personally if this didn't score a top mark as I find it quite simple (points made, evidence, explanation, moved on) so I can remember it. My only criticism would be that in some places it can be difficult to read due to the waffling, other than that I believe that its fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is a great answer that will get an A at the least. However I would remember to make your paragraphs as succinct as possible
Reply 6
I have put my part b above and i am aiming for an a* do you think i would achieve that
Reply 7
Original post by Sulfur
When reading this, I find that in some places it waffles on with the explanation, which I doubt that you'd get marked down for, but it would reduce the time that you'd have on the second part of the question. Your response fulfils PEE, you've made your point, given evidence and explained it with great analysis, so that it would be in the higher bands. You've linked each point to the question and keep referring to it, whilst making other points which people may not pick up on as much, so it's innovative.

Overall, I'd be surprised personally if this didn't score a top mark as I find it quite simple (points made, evidence, explanation, moved on) so I can remember it. My only criticism would be that in some places it can be difficult to read due to the waffling, other than that I believe that its fine.

thank you this response has made me more confident and i always feel i am not answering the question.i knw i waffle but i always want to make sure i am covering all aspects and alternative interpretations.
Reply 8
I have put my part b above and i am aiming for an a* do you think i would achieve that

few things: 1) I dont know if you know this, but you get given a mark for part a and b combined, so you could have a very short part a and longer part b, and still get a good mark, thus, I dont think mentioning the american dream in both parts is a bad idea per se

2) what you've said is good, def an A, with PQA/PEE throughout, but I'm not sure you'd get an A* cause most of what you've said is very factually based. THey like you to include some personal responses too. If you include personal responses, its also more likely that your points will be original interpretations , which again gets you marks. Everybody will say "ranch workers are lonely" and "the magazines are a form of escapism part of the AD" but by saying how this makes you personally feel, its make the piece more original and helps it stand out-which is important

hope this helps!
Reply 9
Original post by voxdock
few things: 1) I dont know if you know this, but you get given a mark for part a and b combined, so you could have a very short part a and longer part b, and still get a good mark, thus, I dont think mentioning the american dream in both parts is a bad idea per se

2) what you've said is good, def an A, with PQA/PEE throughout, but I'm not sure you'd get an A* cause most of what you've said is very factually based. THey like you to include some personal responses too. If you include personal responses, its also more likely that your points will be original interpretations , which again gets you marks. Everybody will say "ranch workers are lonely" and "the magazines are a form of escapism part of the AD" but by saying how this makes you personally feel, its make the piece more original and helps it stand out-which is important

hope this helps!

is that in refernce to the part b bit aswell and yes thank you so shall i mention a lot about readers responses then and effect on them
Reply 10
is that in refernce to the part b bit aswell and yes thank you so shall i mention a lot about readers responses then and effect on them

yes in part b as well, and in your poetry as well, and in your writing on the other novel you're doing. In everything!

Examiners get sick of reading the same essay over and over again on "candy symbolises x, and Crooks symbolises y and blah blah". A lesson my year learnt the hard way in the Lord of the flies part of our english Lit mock.
If you mix in some personal responses, and original interpretations, it makes you sound like you understand the text better, and aren't just regurgitating what your teacher/revision guide/sparknotes.com told you
Reply 11
Original post by voxdock
yes in part b as well, and in your poetry as well, and in your writing on the other novel you're doing. In everything!

Examiners get sick of reading the same essay over and over again on "candy symbolises x, and Crooks symbolises y and blah blah". A lesson my year learnt the hard way in the Lord of the flies part of our english Lit mock.
If you mix in some personal responses, and original interpretations, it makes you sound like you understand the text better, and aren't just regurgitating what your teacher/revision guide/sparknotes.com told you

you know the comment on structure is that good to put in .also you know the comment about candy shall i say his incapability creates sympathy due to his lack of helplessness and old age
Reply 12
you know the comment on structure is that good to put in .also you know the comment about candy shall i say his incapability creates sympathy due to his lack of helplessness and old age

yh thats all good stuff. make sure you say that stuff as well, just put in a personal response every now and then. Although try to avoid an essay of "I think this" and "this makes me feel..."

TBH I wouldn't get hung up on individual points for specific questions like this, as the one you'll get in the exam will be quite different. just make sure you know the general gist and reread the novel.

I didn't do anything for our english lit mocks bar rereading the novel, cause you never know what may come up, so revising specif themes is pointless IMO, just accept you have to anwser whatever they throw at you in the exam!
Reply 13
Original post by voxdock
yh thats all good stuff. make sure you say that stuff as well, just put in a personal response every now and then. Although try to avoid an essay of "I think this" and "this makes me feel..."

TBH I wouldn't get hung up on individual points for specific questions like this, as the one you'll get in the exam will be quite different. just make sure you know the general gist and reread the novel.

I didn't do anything for our english lit mocks bar rereading the novel, cause you never know what may come up, so revising specif themes is pointless IMO, just accept you have to anwser whatever they throw at you in the exam!

yes but you can link any theme to all aspects of the novel and the structure of the novel mimics the whole plot so there you can link the theme of fate .so would a personal response be something like it creates sympathy?
Is this coursework? Because if it is and the exam board ask to see it, it's very likely that you'll be flagged for plagiarism now that you've uploaded it to a public forum
Reply 15
yes but you can link any theme to all aspects of the novel and the structure of the novel mimics the whole plot so there you can link the theme of fate .so would a personal response be something like it creates sympathy?

personal response is any point you make, that isnt just a commonly said point-like "Candys disability makes the reader feel empathy" is probably not a personal reponse as the vast majority of candidates will mention something along those lines, its not something you personally have thought of.

of the top of my head, this is personal, because I think most candidates wont come up with these kinds of ideas, or at least not express them in this way:

Curley hides his insecurities behind a mask of macho toughness. His competitive bravado makes him push too far and Lennie, after enduring much, is given permission by George to "get him." Lennie in self-protection crushes Curley's fist in his own big hand, crippling Curley somewhat as Candy and Crooks have been crippled by the punitive harshness of life.
Curley is also the one man who has a woman. But clearly he does not does not know how to relate to her as a person. She is to him a thing, a possession, a sex-object and a status symbol. For the men, in braggadocio, he flaunts the sexuality of the relationship; and yet, out of his own self-doubts he is intensely jealous of the men's awareness of her.
Reply 16
Original post by voxdock
personal response is any point you make, that isnt just a commonly said point-like "Candys disability makes the reader feel empathy" is probably not a personal reponse as the vast majority of candidates will mention something along those lines, its not something you personally have thought of.

of the top of my head, this is personal, because I think most candidates wont come up with these kinds of ideas, or at least not express them in this way:

Curley hides his insecurities behind a mask of macho toughness. His competitive bravado makes him push too far and Lennie, after enduring much, is given permission by George to "get him." Lennie in self-protection crushes Curley's fist in his own big hand, crippling Curley somewhat as
Candy and Crooks have been crippled by the punitive harshness of life.

Curley is also the one man who has a woman. But clearly he does not does not know how to relate to her as a person. She is to him a thing, a possession, a sex-object and a status symbol. For the men, in braggadocio, he flaunts the sexuality of the relationship; and yet, out of his own self-doubts he is intensely jealous of the men's awareness of her.

thanks and yeh i understand what you mean by personal response.its like your own interpretation of a character or situation
Reply 17
thanks and yeh i understand what you mean by personal response.its like your own interpretation of a character or situation

yh you got it-good luck! I assume you'll be doing this exam the same time I am

Quick Reply

Latest