The Student Room Group

How to remember things??

I'm trying to revise for my as exams biology, chemistry and physics but I just cannot remember content for example how the heart controls the regular beat. I've tried writing it out multiple times and I've read it loads but nothing is sinking in. How do you remember all your content?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
First you must understand the work before you try to memorize it - then check and reinforce your understanding by doing question from past papers and learning the model answers/key words. Once you fully understand it you stand a better chance of memorizin it.

To memorize something it takes several attempts (revision) over periods that will increase before it ends up in your long term memory. For example you might memorize something but it only stays in your head for 5mins. Keep revising and it might stay in your head for 1hr. The trick is to revise when it starts fading from your head, eventually it will stick in long term.
FLASH CARDS.

Continuous testing.
It's the idea of reinforcing knowledge in you, that will ensure you understand it.
Original post by tara28
I'm trying to revise for my as exams biology, chemistry and physics but I just cannot remember content for example how the heart controls the regular beat. I've tried writing it out multiple times and I've read it loads but nothing is sinking in. How do you remember all your content?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may be your memory works better with visuals rather than text and sentence. It may be worth trying something called mind mapping. A search for this on Google will find plenty of advice and examples.
Simply copying it out multiple times won't help you.

Read through it a few times making sure you can understand what's happening, cover it up and write down what you can remember.

Check what you've written down and pay attention to the bits you've forgotten.

Cover it up again, and write down what you can remember once again.

Keep repeating this process until you get everything correct. It's the only way that works for me.

Flashcards are useful for memorisation because you can put questions on one side and answers on the other side, so all you need to do is flip the card over!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending