The Student Room Group

Care home... does NOT mean 'caring'. What a JOKE!

I'm sorry about this, TSR users.... but I need to get some things off my chest after todays hurdle at work! :frown:

I work in a home that comprises of in total, 44 residents and we only have 6 staff and 2 senior to work with. Bearing in mind that more than 50% of these require 2 care staff as they are hoisted, so that leaves only 4 staff to work with the rest, and even during this time people want showers/baths/toileting, and we have less than 2 hours to get 11 residents (per unit) up, washed and dressed by specified time, PLUS offer shower and bath (which takes a long time as being hoisted usually does), then you have all the buzzers going off at once - for toilet, pad change, cigarette, newspaper, folding clothes, making bed, etc. Then the dreaded paperwork! Which most carers spend at least one hour on AFTER their shift and do not get paid for it.

People who say, ''just leave then'' is not that easy. Job market is terrible, this job is valuable experience for becoming a social worker and I LIKE the residents, but I don't like how the home is run (to the ground by the looks of things)! There's simply not enough staff the seniors/managers say there is plenty (bull****!), because seniors do the meds round, then go to the office and get cosy and have a coffee - I have witnessed this, whilst the rest of us are rushed off our feet, sweating like a pig and trying to get 100000 things done with just a pair of hands - not to mention assisted feeding which neither of us can do if we are down to 5 or even 4 staff! So the poor resident end up having to wait until the rest of them in the lounge have eaten.

This drives me insane. I never knew the care industry can be this disgusting! The CQC has given this care home 100% compliancy... It really is not! They count the seniors as 'staff', however they are not care staff because they don't help when we seriously need it. I had absolutely no time to talk to anybody, I had to make excuses and leave the room.... But the managers are saying we all need to do weights, food charts, hoist them onto chairs (over and over again) to prevent pressure sores, sit down and CHAT with them... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?

Sorry :frown: Just really upset and feel down! I just wish this job was a lot easier for the staff (or lack of them...) and the residents who deserve a lot better than this. :mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Some care homes really do suck. I feel for you OP. Both my parents work in the medical services so they see poor care levels all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending