The Student Room Group

Why do so many people have a problem with "parking the bus"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
Of course you do but only over the course of the tie. As far as I'm concerned, teams should be encouraged to win every single match and I would not say the current format encourages that. Chelsea will try to score tonight but I didn't see any real effort to do so in the first leg.

I'll agree with that, although we were abit light in Madrid. Matic is cup-tied makes us light in midfield, while Hazard was unfit so Schurrle plays. Schurrle's strength is not running with the ball or passing, as he likes to run onto things. Oscar was rested too.

If we had our full team available, Mourinho would definitely have fancied his chances to score in Spain.

We were pretty naive in the Super Cup last season and I'm sure Mourinho looked at that
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I see no problem with it. I mean City played fairly open and lost 3-2 to Liverpool and it was a good game to watch. We made the game terrible for the neutral but we won 2-0 at Anfield, and I'd take that any day.

Would I have preferred to watch a more entertaining game? Yes, but
Would I rather my team win even if it upsets neutrals? Yes

I like to watch entertaining football, but when it comes down to it, I prefer the team I support to win and I will support them regardless of whatever method they use.

I can understand that in the short term but surely you don't want your team spending the money it has spent, only to produce that dross.

It's not cheap supporting a team like Chelsea and I would be most unhappy at paying through the nose to watch a team whose first priority was not conceding.
At the end of the day teams should work to develop strategies that counter the 'parked bus' tactic, rather than bitching about its use. Every sport is about developing a new strategy and taking wins whilst everyone else struggles to find a counterplay...
Original post by pane123
I can understand that in the short term but surely you don't want your team spending the money it has spent, only to produce that dross.

It's not cheap supporting a team like Chelsea and I would be most unhappy at paying through the nose to watch a team whose first priority was not conceding.

It's not great to watch, and I'm someone who doesn't always enjoy the way we play, considering how we were playing last year.
I'd like us to play more expansive football and I'm guessing Mourinho will look back at what happened this season and buy a stronger central midfield presence, while getting a striker too.

Mourinho plays what will get him wins. If he thinks he can play attacking football, he will.

If Hazard and Eto'o had been fit, and we didn't have European football to play, we would've definitely been more ambitious at Anfield. Mourinho won't let Hazard go to waste like that seeing as he is Mourinho's favourite player (and he's probably starting to eat his words on Oscar).
It's not great to watch, and I'm someone who doesn't always enjoy the way we play, considering how we were playing last year.
I'd like us to play more expansive football and I'm guessing Mourinho will look back at what happened this season and buy a stronger central midfield presence, while getting a striker too.

Mourinho plays what will get him wins. If he thinks he can play attacking football, he will.

If Hazard and Eto'o had been fit, and we didn't have European football to play, we would've definitely been more ambitious at Anfield. Mourinho won't let Hazard go to waste like that seeing as he is Mourinho's favourite player (and he's probably starting to eat his words on Oscar).

I think one of the reasons I find it so frustrating is because, like you say, Chelsea can be very good to watch. Hazard and Oscar are unplayable at times so it is even more disappointing when Mourinho relies on 'old fashioned' players like Terry and Cahill to get the job done.
Original post by pane123
I think one of the reasons I find it so frustrating is because, like you say, Chelsea can be very good to watch. Hazard and Oscar are unplayable at times so it is even more disappointing when Mourinho relies on 'old fashioned' players like Terry and Cahill to get the job done.

Tbh what he's doing is effective. I'll give him summer to see who he buys and then I'll judge him next year.
Reply 46
The Italian national team parked the bus for literally 50 years. It delivered them a World Cup (maybe not two).

So clearly, if you give it an Italian name and you end up winning the World Cup, it's no longer boring defensive football with long balls upfield, but highly organised defence with counter-attacking and pinpont passing.
Tbh what he's doing is effective. I'll give him summer to see who he buys and then I'll judge him next year.

Effective it may be but we are always told it's an entertainment industry and Chelsea are not entertaining. Fair enough, though, judging him next year is sensible. They have an exceptionally strong team and no shortage of money so a couple of top strikers could turn Chelsea into quite a force.
Original post by Clip
The Italian national team parked the bus for literally 50 years. It delivered them a World Cup (maybe not two).

So clearly, if you give it an Italian name and you end up winning the World Cup, it's no longer boring defensive football with long balls upfield, but highly organised defence with counter-attacking and pinpont passing.

Italian football is widely regarded as boring, which is why not many people watch it. Not even Italians go to Serie A matches in great numbers.
Reply 49
Its anti-football. Its boring. It sucks the life out of the game. And it certainly is not the definition of a tactical masterclass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by pane123
Italian football is widely regarded as boring, which is why not many people watch it. Not even Italians go to Serie A matches in great numbers.

That's what I think. Ask an Italian - they only think they're supremely talented and organised winners.

If Roy Hodgson goes to Brazil, and sets up like a George Graham or Sam Allardyce team, and plays six or seven matches with ten men behind the ball, and wins 1-0 by the odd kick and rush or penalty - and wins the World Cup, he'll get a knighthood and no-one will care.

It would take years of victory before people get bored of it and start asking to win pretty.

Generally, it's the serial losers that boast about their beautiful game.
Reply 51
Original post by Clip

I disagree. Italian football is not defensive. Its a lot slower, more tactical, and more technical that the British game. Hence why many people pver here find it boring.
I actually quite like it - the 352 set up is an interesting tactic for example.

I do think Italian football has dropped off the international radar in recent years due to its lack of investment, TV money etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Well then they should blame their team on not being able to break them down?

My brother complains about this on fifa lol since I rarely press him high up the pitch and only press in from the centre circle and says I play like Chelsea and it's too tactical and robotic how I play...

He usually says that when he loses.

Take it easy, I wasn't criticizing that style of football, just offering an answer to OP's question.
Original post by JuliusDS92
Take it easy, I wasn't criticizing that style of football, just offering an answer to OP's question.

Oh that wasn't directed at you. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

I'm just saying that's how people should view it according to the way they view it. Tbh I like parking bus and staying compact when my teams play.
Original post by Architecture-er
At the end of the day teams should work to develop strategies that counter the 'parked bus' tactic, rather than bitching about its use. Every sport is about developing a new strategy and taking wins whilst everyone else struggles to find a counterplay...

Yep, this. The whole argument sounds like a modern rehash of the rants against long-ball football that were heard when Wimbledon won the FA Cup.
Reply 55
Original post by RD208
I disagree. Italian football is not defensive. Its a lot slower, more tactical, and more technical that the British game. Hence why many people pver here find it boring.
I actually quite like it - the 352 set up is an interesting tactic for example.

I do think Italian football has dropped off the international radar in recent years due to its lack of investment, TV money etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In recent years they've eased off the catenaccio, but I would say only because European clubs have moved away from it, and it failed to deliver for them for decades (by 2006 they'd kind of given up).

Before that, though - there can be no doubt that they had 50 years of trying to score early and then trying to kill the game for 80 minutes. They prided themselves on it.
Original post by pane123
Effective it may be but we are always told it's an entertainment industry and Chelsea are not entertaining. Fair enough, though, judging him next year is sensible. They have an exceptionally strong team and no shortage of money so a couple of top strikers could turn Chelsea into quite a force.

It is the entertainment industry, true. Some people are entertained by fast-paced football, and some people appreciatie defensive displays (I assume these people are in the minority).

At the same time, Arsenal are a very entertaining team. They are generally good to watch and also good to laugh at because of their annual self-destruction (whether that happens during the start of the season or the end)

Professional football is, at the basic level a competitive sport, where the primary objective should be to win. When you know how to win, then you can start building on it and start trying to incorporate a more entertaining style of play. I'd like us ti play better football, but I have to defend the team I support.
Original post by jam277
Oh that wasn't directed at you. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

I'm just saying that's how people should view it according to the way they view it. Tbh I like parking bus and staying compact when my teams play.

Oh, no problem :smile:
Original post by pane123

Hazard is that penetrative player people look for in our team, like Ronaldo/Messi are for their clubs. We need another player like him who can do that and get involved with play like Robben.

But I think Mourinho's class A and class B eggs comment for a reason. I think he wants to play more entertaining football, around november-december we were playing entertaining football but it turned our defence into mush. So Mourinho went back to 'boring, boring Chelsea.' Since then we've oozed consistency and have been amazing defensively, to the point nobody wants to play us.

I do think that Kevin De Bruyne should have been used here.
Reply 59
Mourinho:

You know, I remember to say in my first period here, if you have a goalkeeper like Petr Cech that puts the ball in the opponents' box. If you have a striker like Didier Drogba that wins every ball in the air, why do you play short? Because you are stupid. If your opponent is very fast in counter-attack and they want space behind your defensive line, if you give them that space, you are stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest