The Student Room Group

Most Atheists seem arrogant and angry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingStannis
You cannot say this with 100% accuracy. Just saying.

I know. I couldn't say (with 100% accuracy) that the calculator on my desk won't grow arms and legs, go and open my garage, take out a chainsaw and murder me in my sleep either.

But I'll be happy enough closing my eyes tonight knowing that it won't.
Original post by russellsteapot
I know. I couldn't say (with 100% accuracy) that the calculator on my desk won't grow arms and legs, go and open my garage, take out a chainsaw and murder me in my sleep either.

But I'll be happy enough closing my eyes tonight knowing that it won't.

I agree. But the person you were responding to was playing the skepticism of knowledge card (poorly it must be said) to defend peoples beliefs. In that context stating that the galaxy isn't just a picture in the sky (or whatever he was saying) isn't a particularly useful response.
Original post by pnorm
I never said you knew little of religion. Just with the amount of negative things you just put on this "tyrant" it makes me think you are quite anti-Christian now that you've escaped your parent's grasp which you shouldn't be... Saying to someone you're being irrational because they believe something different to you is utterly ridiculous. You can say you don't agree with them, which is fair enough, but you shouldn't resort to insulting them.
And to be honest not all aspects of Christianity work like a "Big Brother-type regime" it only becomes like that if you don't pick and choose parts of it you agree with. It's like supporting a Government, you don't agree with all of what they want but you agree with most of it, does that make you irrational ?

Escaped my parents grasp? What does that mean? I still live with them, I'm only 18 lol. But I have certainly escaped the grasp of Christianity.

I am anti-religion. What your ideology wants to impose on the world is evil. And I do not call your belief irrational because it is different to mine, I call your belief irrational because it has absolutely no basis in reason and evidence. It is a fairytale. I disagree with insulting religious people, but I have no qualms about insulting their beliefs.

And yes, yes the whole of Christianity is about submitting to a Big Brother regime. At its core, that is what it is about. It is about quaking in fear while you worship and sing praises to a deity who could not care less about you - only about receiving his worship. May I also mention that the government analogy is flawed because the purpose of the government, at its core, is to protect, preserve and promote the protection and wellbeing of its citizens. Christianity is not. You are expected to die for God if need be.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Original post by Abstraction
Escaped my parents grasp? What does that mean? I still live with them, I'm only 18 lol. But I have certainly escaped the grasp of Christianity.

I am anti-religion. What your ideology wants to impose on the world is evil. And I do not call your belief irrational because it is different to mine, I call your belief irrational because it has absolutely no basis in reason and evidence. It is a fairytale. I disagree with insulting religious people, but I have no qualms about insulting their beliefs.

And yes, yes the whole of Christianity is about submitting to a Big Brother regime. At its core, that is what it is about. It is about quaking in fear while you worship and sing praises to a deity who could not care less about you - only about receiving his worship. May I also mention that the government analogy is flawed because the purpose of the government, at its core, is to protect, preserve and promote the protection and wellbeing of its citizens. Christianity is not. You are expected to die for God if need be.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Emotional argument much?
Emotional argument much?

Certainly not. My argument is founded upon reason. You will see what I am talking about when you listen to a biblical sermon or read the Bible itself. Look at the language. Look at the general ideas you are being told to adopt. If you prefer not to do that, then watch debates including Christopher Hitchens. He makes the same point I'm making again and again. Religion destroys freedom; it does not grant it.
Certainly not. My argument is founded upon reason. You will see what I am talking about when you listen to a biblical sermon or read the Bible itself. Look at the language. Look at the general ideas you are being told to adopt. If you prefer not to do that, then watch debates including Christopher Hitchens. He makes the same point I'm making again and again. Religion destroys freedom; it does not grant it.

>Says argument is based on reason

>Name drops Christopher Hitchens.

>Also has no argument.

I advise you to read some real philosophy not this new-atheist crap.
>Says argument is based on reason

>Name drops Christopher Hitchens.

>Also has no argument.

I advise you to read some real philosophy not this new-atheist crap.

Lol, I'm not looking at "new atheist crap". I have only started watching those videos recently, on the whole I have disagreed with religion after independent thought. And it's almost 12 and I have an exam tomorrow, so I need to shoot off now lol. I can't fully explain everything here. Do drop me the names of some "real philosophy" books though; I love philosophy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol, I'm not looking at "new atheist crap". I have only started watching those videos recently, on the whole I have disagreed with religion after independent thought. And it's almost 12 and I have an exam tomorrow, so I need to shoot off now lol. I can't fully explain everything here. Do drop me some "real philosophy" books though; I love philosophy.

Well, I remember watching Hitchen's debate against William Lane Craig, in which Craig won quite comfortably.

As for philosophy, on the theistic side I recommend Plantinga, on the atheist side, I dunno, maybe Mackie? Plantinga''s pretty technical though, you've been warned.

I wish you good luck in your exam anyway.
A small minority of atheists seek out religious posts on sites like this purely to argue their views and opinions of religion (such as that it is wrong and religious believers are crazy etc) and try to prove people's religions wrong. This is the only time I see them as being angry or arrogant.
It would be very hypocritical to say that only atheists so this though as I've seen plenty of religious believers do this on science posts and try to convert people or argue about how their beliefs are the only beliefs, which come across as just as angry and arrogant.
I disagree & I'm an atheist. I hope you've had a lovely week and have a lovely weekend! :smile:
Original post by pnorm
How do you know the Milky Way is our Galaxy side on and not actually the Ozone layer deteriorating but you can actually only see it at night without light pollution? That sounds pretty delusional but it could be right. That example of the Earth being flat is the same as Heaven and Hell. We don't know it so we make something up.

Making something up doesn't mean it's true. Also, I'm not sure that comparison works, we know for a fact that the earth is round, whereas we don't know for a fact that heaven and hell exist.
Original post by ashraf549
He's 'generalising', Then why don't you atheists stop 'generalising' all theists as deluded. It could be something extremely personal like a murdered member in the family. The crimal has never been found, which in this case many will believe in God. For the ultimate justice. There are many key reasons why believe in God.

How is the person in your scenario not being deluded?

It's be definition that you have to be deluded to believe in a personal god, for faith must be without reason.
Original post by Jibola240
Nowhere near that, athiest make up like 2 - 15% of the world population by most estimates.

It depends on how you define it actually. How you define religion, and how you consider if someone is non-religious.
Original post by thechemistress
Wow, really? I would have assumed it would be more. Why are there so many thesists? D:

Because most 'theists' declared themselves theists purely due to how they were brought up. They are mostly not religious in that sense.
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
how do we seem arrogant? by making perfectly valid criticisms towards religions? is that arrogance if we happen to be perfectly rational in those criticisms? what constitutes arrogance? being wrong or being right? or both? and in what conditions?

We are arrogant because we do not think the most powerful being, the only thing that matters in the universe has a personal plan for us, and has a personal relationship with us.

We are arrogant because we do not think the entire universe with all the space, lives, and materials were all created for our entertainment.
Original post by just a dad
FWIW, the most angry and arrogant person I have ever met was my old parish priest.

He was not a good advertisement for his faith.

When you are the authority sent personally by the most important and powerful being in the universe I think you can be arrogant indeed.
Original post by pnorm
Only trivial to people who think they know everything.

So the idea that women were taken from men, or that the Earth is flat, etc are only trivial to people who think they know everything?
Original post by pnorm
No-one on this planet knows what happens after they die. No-one. So if you were afraid of death and invented something to calm you then fair enough. It's not deranged to believe those things, it's human nature. Is it deranged to believe the NSA are watching our every move and if we take a wrong step we'll end up in prison or worse? Do you think those people ever thought it was deranged to think the world was flat? Or that the Earth was the centre of the galaxy (Don't quote me on that one) ? If you think religion is absurd then please ignore our entire history of absurd ideas.

Yes, it is deranged to believe the NSA is watching your every move because it cannot possibly do that to everybody. But that's beyond the point, the NSA is not the most important and powerful in the universe, nor did they invent everything purely for human's entertainment as many theists seem to think so.

People who did not think it was deranged to think the world was flat or that the Earth was the centre of the galaxy were simply foolish and for the latter, arrogant. Simple as that.

I'm not even sure if anybody is paying attention to the absurd ideas of the past the way they pay to religious ideas? :confused:
Original post by pnorm
How do you know the Milky Way is our Galaxy side on and not actually the Ozone layer deteriorating but you can actually only see it at night without light pollution? That sounds pretty delusional but it could be right. That example of the Earth being flat is the same as Heaven and Hell. We don't know it so we make something up.

How do you know if there isn't a flying tea port orbiting Earth which cannot be detected or observed?

How do you know if the world was not created by The Flying Spaghetti Monster last Thursday with all the memory instilled on to us?

How do you know if I'm not a werewolf who only turns into one from time to time when nobody and no machine is observing?

How do you know if god does not want people to believe in him?

How do you know if god was the 'good guy' and we should not be helping Satan to overthrow such dictator?

:confused:
Original post by Jibola240
Probably because you live in the UK, large portions of Asia, Africa, South America are still very religious. Also Many people who may not follow religion may be reluctant to call themselves athiest, so won't be counted.

Most Chinese are atheists.

Quick Reply

Latest