The Student Room Group

Gerry Adams arrested! Breaking News!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
If they started off using violence? Yes. But if they were peaceful and protested etc, no. I don't escalate things on a personal level or when talking about politics. It would be proportional, so if they started using batons against us, the maximum limit we should use it batons against them. If they start killing our citizens, we return the favour with killing IRA members.

From my understanding during the Easter rising, they shipped in arms and ammo. So it was right we did the same. Personally, I would of invited them to take part in elections to see what the people of Ireland wanted, and not enforce a form of martial law. That way they had the choice of peaceful or military means. They would choose, and we would be in the right either way.

They did take part in elections; Ireland had been sending large majorities of pro-devolution MPs to Westminster since the 1870s, and got nothing. In 1918 Ireland elected a large majority of pro-independence MPs, who subsequently declared an independence that the British refused to recognise.
If they started off using violence? Yes. But if they were peaceful and protested etc, no. I don't escalate things on a personal level or when talking about politics. It would be proportional, so if they started using batons against us, the maximum limit we should use it batons against them. If they start killing our citizens, we return the favour with killing IRA members.

From my understanding during the Easter rising, they shipped in arms and ammo. So it was right we did the same. Personally, I would of invited them to take part in elections to see what the people of Ireland wanted, and not enforce a form of martial law. That way they had the choice of peaceful or military means. They would choose, and we would be in the right either way.

You do know the Stormont government also actively supported the UVF shipping in weapons but attempted to shutdown IRA attempts? Just a thought.
It's a very bizarre story all around, really.

It's a breaking event with huge implications that is being strangely covered by the UK press. This is the sort of event for which I'd expect a rolling 'breaking news' live feed on the bbc website. I'd expect the various news website to have about 4-5 different stories on the topic, all drafting in their own retired politicians, historians, academics and legal experts to offer their commentary on the events.

And yet..there's been nothing, really. The story broke over 12 hours ago now and there's literally nothing the papers know (or are willing to go to print with) that they didn't know when the story broke. That is very, very strange to me. I honestly don't think I've seen a big story break like this in the internet era.
Original post by anarchism101
They did take part in elections; Ireland had been sending large majorities of pro-devolution MPs to Westminster since the 1870s, and got nothing. In 1918 Ireland elected a large majority of pro-independence MPs, who subsequently declared an independence that the British refused to recognise.

I wasn't talking about elections at Westminster, I was talking about an election for just the Irish over devolution and Independence, with the north probably voting to stay. I would of had it (the south) become Independent much earlier. It would be county elections, with each county voting whether to **** off or stay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by That Bearded Man
You do know the Stormont government also actively supported the UVF shipping in weapons but attempted to shutdown IRA attempts? Just a thought.

It was a reaction to the IRA. Completely legitimate.

The same UVF, who, under their leader Spence said

"At the time, the attitude was that if you couldn't get an IRA man you should shoot a Taig, he's your last resort"
Original post by That Bearded Man
The same UVF, who, under their leader Spence said

"At the time, the attitude was that if you couldn't get an IRA man you should shoot a Taig, he's your last resort"

Well that is just silly
I wasn't talking about elections at Westminster, I was talking about an election for just the Irish over devolution and Independence, with the north probably voting to stay. I would of had it (the south) become Independent much earlier. It would be county elections, with each county voting whether to **** off or stay.

Whether or not this would have been a good idea, it isn't what happened.
Whether or not this would have been a good idea, it isn't what happened.

I thought you were asking me on what we should of done?
I thought you were asking me on what we should of done?

I asked how we should have reacted to the original IRA when they first appeared in the 1910s and 1920s, not what we should have done to avoid the rise of the IRA in the first place. Yes, it would have been better if we'd dealt with the problem before it reached that point, but the fact remains that it did reach that point.

To phrase it another way, were the original IRA justified in taking up arms against Britain given the fact that conventional democratic means had yielded nothing?
I asked how we should have reacted to the original IRA when they first appeared in the 1910s and 1920s, not what we should have done to avoid the rise of the IRA in the first place. Yes, it would have been better if we'd dealt with the problem before it reached that point, but the fact remains that it did reach that point.

To phrase it another way, were the original IRA justified in taking up arms against Britain given the fact that conventional democratic means had yielded nothing?

In short no. Democracy had not been given a chance. If they decided, which they did, to use violence, I fully expect us to return in kind.

Mass peaceful protests/ Boycotts/ March on Westminster, yes. Violence, no.

So fighting terrorism by means of terrorism is legitimate?
So fighting terrorism by means of terrorism is legitimate?

It's not terrorism since it would be official and authorized by Westminster. Do you mean fighting a war? Yes, I'd say so.
In short no. Democracy had not been given a chance. If they decided, which they did, to use violence, I fully expect us to return in kind.

Mass peaceful protests/ Boycotts/ March on Westminster, yes. Violence, no.

So they should have just sat and waited while the British continued to ignore them?
So they should have just sat and waited while the British continued to ignore them?

I'm pretty sure I just added things what they could of done instead.
I'm pretty sure I just added things what they could of done instead.

Yes, and when the British would have inevitably ignored them, what then?

It's not terrorism since it would be official and authorized by Westminster. Do you mean fighting a war? Yes, I'd say so.

Stormont, not Westminster.

So any state-sanctioned violence is perfectly legitimate in your eyes, whereas any non-state violence is not, regardless of the methods of violence or what the respective sides stand for?

The original IRA were authorised by the Irish Dail, did that make them 'official'? If the Provisional IRA had been authorised by Dublin, would that have made them 'official'?
Original post by MostUncivilised
the Good Friday Agreement essentially involved an amnesty for crimes that were committed under the banner of Republican or Loyalist militant groups.

It didn't. It involved early release of prisoners who had already been convicted only.

Many republicans wanted to see British soldiers involved in killings on Bloody Sunday prosecuted (and the long Saville Inquiry was set up to ascertain whether there is evidence that they were so involved). There have been prosecutions of terrorists and will be further prosecutions if sufficient evidence can be found.

Other people, such as Ivor Bell, have recently been charged in connection with the same murder, and there was no outcry about it.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/04/Downing-Street-Pervertion-of-Justice

Not everyone agrees with this policy:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/07/NI-Terrorist-Amnesty
Yes, and when the British would have inevitably ignored them, what then?

Stormont, not Westminster.

So any state-sanctioned violence is perfectly legitimate in your eyes, whereas any non-state violence is not, regardless of the methods of violence or what the respective sides stand for?

The original IRA were authorised by the Irish Dail, did that make them 'official'? If the Provisional IRA had been authorised by Dublin, would that have made them 'official'?

I said they were authorized by Westminster. I know very well it is Stormont.

The point being they did not use all the peaceful channels left open to them. Only resort to violence as a last option. They used it as a first or second option.

I'm perfectly content with the use of violence that is used 1) to secure a peaceful ending 2) is morally justified for a humanitarian purpose 3) Is proportional. None of those things applied to the IRA, which is why they are terrorists. They purposely targeted and murdered civilians. This is why they should be hunted down and eliminated.
Original post by L i b
Yeah, I thought we were pretty much OK with all that now.

I think a great many of us assume automatically that Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness and all that were, on some level, involved in murder. But I suppose the point of a peace process is that we substitute justice for peace.

well said:smile:

I mean as an irishman ive no respsect for Mister Adams.
What northern ireland needs now is honesty and peace.
Im glad we agree on such an issue.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Precisely. I'm no fan of Peter Hain, but he was essentially right that if you want peace, to some degree you must accept that there will be no justice for many. Peace is its own form of justice.

That's why you won't see prosecutions of soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday, or Loyalists involved killings, and Republicans involved in bombings. This was why you saw absolutely repulsive criminals like Michael Stone (who attacked a funeral with grenades, killing three and injuring sixty) released after only 13 years in prison.

It doesnt matter whos side was worse.its time to move on.

do you not agree with the peace process:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending