The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Chances of offer from Edinburgh: American Student

Hi everyone. I am currently a junior (third year) at an American High School. I was wondering if any of you who have experience with the UK and American systems could help give me a general idea of my chances of getting into uni in the United Kingdom. I am looking at The University of Edinburgh, The University of St. Andrews, The London School of Economics, King's College London, and UCL. I would love to hear if anyone could give me anything of my chances of getting in to Edinburgh or the other schools.

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.6 (low I know, math is a killer)
SAT: 800 Reading, 600 Math, 640 Writing (1400 on 1600 scale, 2040 on 2400 scale)
ACT: 31 Composite
APs: 4 on American History; I am taking the US Government and English Language tests in a few weeks. Next year I expect to take European History and Spanish Language.
Extra Curricular: Environmental Endeavors, Spanish Honor Society, Spanish Club, International Relations Club, violin (private lessons, orchestra, music festivals), tennis, softball, Mandarin Chinese lessons

I am wanting to study International Relations or Political Science. I have a global background and speak four languages. My guidance counselor has never had a student want to study in the UK before, so I am on my own when it comes to applying. I just would like to know if I have even a remote shot of being accepted to a uni overseas (even if it is just a conditional offer).
You should be alright. From what I understand they are more interested in your APs than your transcripts. Write an excellent statement of purpose highlighting your accomplishments, passions, and reason for choosing IR and you'll have a decent shot. Just remember, there are far more people who apply than get offers so do your very best!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Koyaanisqatsi
You should be alright. From what I understand they are more interested in your APs than your transcripts. Write an excellent statement of purpose highlighting your accomplishments, passions, and reason for choosing IR and you'll have a decent shot. Just remember, there are far more people who apply than get offers so do your very best!

Thanks for responding! And thank you for the advice and information, I'll work hard on my APs and making my PS amazing:smile:
Reply 3
You should be fine at Edinburgh and St. Andrews. I am going to Edinburgh next year and your stats are way better. St. Andrews told me I was 10-60 pts to low on my SAT scores and I had an 1890. I have firmed for Edinburgh International Relations and Law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending