The Student Room Group

Which A-Level combination for Nursing?

Hey everyone,

I'm in Year 12 and messed up this year but I am going to start my A-Levels this September. I want to go into Nursing but I don't have the GCSEs for Science A-Level but I know that I do not want to take a BTEC.

I was wondering which of these course combinations would be the best:

Option 1: English Literature, Geography, Sociology and Classical Civilisation
Option 2: English Literature, Geography, Classical Civilisation and English Language
Option 3: English Literature, Geography, Sociology and English Language

Thanks, Ben :smile:
Hey,

I've just popped this into the Nursing forum as there are people here who are probably more able to give you some advice. :smile:
decide which uni's you're interested in and ask if they will consider you without a science A level. Some will but probably more won't. I'd keep the sociology and rethink the science BTEC. Anatomy and physiology is a big part of nursing!
I think sociology from your link but what about a level health and social care, that's a good steeping stone. Some uni's want biology and if you don't it, you can always move in the direction of doing a foundational years then nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd may suggest looking into Access Courses. Firstly I didn't need a Science GCSE for it just Maths and English and on my access course I've studied Human Biology, Medical Sociology and Health Psychology. Not only is it a year course I find the way they do it compared to A-Levels was so much better.

Most Unis do ask for a Science at A-Level if not at GCSE. I'd also get experience in as well through volunteering as that is equally as valuable as the education background itself.

If however A-Levels is your only option i'd say option 3 as unis also want an 'ology' normally.

Quick Reply

Latest