The Student Room Group

Out of these 2 students grades, which would a University prefer

Student no. 1. 11 GCSE: 7A*'s 4A's; AS: 2A's, 2B's; A2: 1A*, 1A, 1B
Student no. 2. 8 GCSE: 5A*'s, 2A's, 1D; AS: 5A's A2: 4A*'s
D would be for a relatively irreverent subject

Let's say they both did relatively similar subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okeyiaj
Student no. 1. GCSE: 11: 7A*'s 2A's, 2B's; AS: 2A's, 2B's; A2: 2A*'s 1B
Student no. 2. GCSE: 8: 5A*'s, 2A's, 1C/D; AS: 4/5A*'s A2: 3/4A*'s
C/D would be for a relatively irreverent subject

You can't get A*s in AS.
Reply 2
Student 2 for sure. A levels matter way more than GCSEs and 5A*s isn't exactly bad anyway.
I'm guessing the second, though both would be good contenders. However, obviously there is more to a student than grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ChoccyMelody
You can't get A*s in AS.

Sorry I've edited it now.
Student 2 probably :smile:
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Bump
Original post by ChoccyMelody
You can't get A*s in AS.

FYI: When prospective students do this, usually it is indicative of 90%+ UMS which is essential for Oxbridge. It just saves a bit of messing around.
Original post by The Baller
FYI: When prospective students do this, usually it is indicative of 90%+ UMS which is essential for Oxbridge. It just saves a bit of messing around.

It isn't actually essential, because they can't see your UMS score unless you ask a teacher to declare it for you on your reference(s). Well, Oxford can't see it, anyway, though I think Cambridge might be able to.
Original post by Handles
It isn't actually essential, because they can't see your UMS score unless you ask a teacher to declare it for you on your reference(s). Well, Oxford can't see it, anyway, though I think Cambridge might be able to.

I was warned that generally if you hide your UMS from Oxford that it's inferred that you were below par :dontknow:
Original post by The Baller
I was warned that generally if you hide your UMS from Oxford that it's inferred that you were below par :dontknow:

Well you can't exactly hide it if it's not mandatory to show it. :tongue: I don't know, that could be the case, but I'll certainly declare any exams in which I get 94+UMS, which I'm not sure whether I will!
They'd prefer the student who can use apostrophes.
Original post by Okeyiaj
Student no. 1. GCSE: 11: 7A*'s 4A's; AS: 2A's, 2B's; A2: 1A*, 1A, 1B
Student no. 2. GCSE: 8: 5A*'s, 2A's, 1D; AS: 5A's A2: 4A*'s
D would be for a relatively irreverent subject

Lets put it this way I got into a top university that wanted A*AA

GCSE: 1A , 4B , 5C ,2D
AS: ABBB
A2: A*AA

GCSE's barely count for anything.
To be fair, GCSE's are made redundant for university assuming you've met the minimum requirements. Apart from Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick, I believe.
Reply 17
No. 1. Hehe, No.2 is too clever to even bother with going to uni.:biggrin:
Reply 18
Considering No. 1 doesn't even meet the entry requirements for just about any course at a good university (which is at least A*AA) then obviously No. 2. Why did you even bother to post this?
I think you're asking about the stance on GCSEs.

So no, one D won't ruin anything for a uni like Oxford/Cambridge unless it's in Maths/English Language or a relevant subject. If it's a totally random one it'll pass.

And GCSEs are not the most important factor. So more A*s won't make up for a weaker AS/A2 performance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending