The Student Room Group

Look thinner but haven't really lost weight :S

I go running for around 5 miles about four times a week and try and go to the gym at least once a week and have been doing so now for five months. I have noticed that my arms are thinner and my legs look thinner too and when my parents saw me at Easter they said that I looked as if I had lost weight. However the scales don't really seem to reflect this.

I was ~64kg in January and I'm now 63.4kg so that it hardly anything! Is it just that I have gained muscle?

If it helps I'm 5ft 4 and female and my runs always include hills as it's impossible to avoid them!
Original post by catz64
I go running for around 5 miles about four times a week and try and go to the gym at least once a week and have been doing so now for five months. I have noticed that my arms are thinner and my legs look thinner too and when my parents saw me at Easter they said that I looked as if I had lost weight. However the scales don't really seem to reflect this.

I was ~64kg in January and I'm now 63.4kg so that it hardly anything! Is it just that I have gained muscle?

If it helps I'm 5ft 4 and female and my runs always include hills as it's impossible to avoid them!

Well you've pretty much answered your own question haven't you. If you really are looking notably leaner but are down only 0.6kg of a kilo from 5 months ago then you've probably lost several kilos of fat and gained a couple of kilos of muscle since then. Frequent hill running would probably result in some muscle gained in the calves/legs/glutes unless you were muscular to begin with so that matches also.
Are you actually thinner or do you just see yourself as thinner now due to more confidence?

I would imagine even if you had put on muscle, you'd still see a a drop in overall weight because you will have lost more fat than you gained in muscle, certainly it would be more than 0.6kg I would have thought.
Reply 3
Scales don't correctly reflect your progress. What you should do is take photographs and body measurements once a month and you should be seeing a difference!
it's the same thing with me. My thighs look smaller but actually measure more. It's because you have gained muscle and muscle tone.
It could be that you've lost fat and gained muscle. It could possibly also be that due to running long distances, you have lost muscle. Do you look leaner and are your muscles showing more?

Lift weights a couple of times a week heavy with all body parts - something like squats or a lunge, leg curl or hip thrust, push up or overhead press and chin ups or a row, then a core exercise to complement the 3-4 runs you do, then take pictures and see if you have 'toned' up despite not losing weight :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest